Powder coating the wheel

Eric Freedman

After almost 20 years the wheel on Kimberlite was looking sad. In addition, the silver metal inserts caused galvanic corrosion and that exacerbated the ugliness of the wheel. Having to tie down the wheel during the hurricane also scratched up the leather quite a bit.

I removed the wheel using a wheel puller and my impact drill. It came off in 2 minutes.

I put screws in the holes that hold the Amel Logo in place, and a bolt through the center bushing and a bolt in each of the threaded holes that I used to pull the wheel. I just wanted to make sure the media blaster and the powder coater did not damage the threads and the center bushing.

I had the wheel media blasted and then took it to a powder coater. I just picked up the wheel. It looks great. Maud arranged to have a new wheel cover made . I will not be replacing the metal stripes in the spokes.

Lets see how good my sewing is.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376