PredictWind Datahub

Denis Foster

Hello,

Soon installing the PredictWind datahub. Has someone done this? Are there some difficulties linking to the NMEA network. How does it not interfere with our Vesper xB8000 Ais wifi network?

Thanks for your advice in this task that intimateds us.

Regards.

Denis

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Denis,

Predict wind has an amazing support system that can probably answer your questions directly. It would be worth speaking with them if you haven’t already.

Regards
Ross and Donna.
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently in Turkey.

--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi

Dan Carlson

Hi Dennis, I'd be interested in what your goals are for this project.

We have the Vesper XB8000 and it provide my navigation systems with GPS and AIS information via WiFi connections.

I also have an Iridium GO/Predict Wind Satellite communications device. That also has GPS and it automatically sends tracking information to Predict Winds tracking site.

From what I just read about the DataHub, it does not have the means to communicate via satellite or cellular data. You need to connect it to some other cellular or satellite communication device.

What it looks like it can provide is the ability to see your N2K network, log data from that and access it from a remote location (if you've set up the required cellular or satellite connection).  I have set up the capability I needed to see my Victron solar MPPT, Victron BMV and Victron Multi-Plus inverter/charger.

It would be good to be clear about what your goals are and then start to creat a map of each of the devices/data bits that you want to connect.and what you want.to log or send to a remote site for access etc.

I am not an expert in this area but try to figure out what I need by plodding along slowly.

I will be interested in where this thread goes.

Best regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

On Sun, May 1, 2022, 3:20 PM Denis Foster <deniswfoster@...> wrote:
Hello,

Soon installing the PredictWind datahub. Has someone done this? Are there some difficulties linking to the NMEA network. How does it not interfere with our Vesper xB8000 Ais wifi network?

Thanks for your advice in this task that intimateds us.

Regards.

Denis

Mark McGovern

Denis,

I do not have one of these devices so I cannot speak from personal experience with it.  However, just over a year ago I replaced all the old analog instrumentation in my SM and installed an NMEA 2000 network.  This also included installing a new VHF, AIS, GPS, and Chart Plotters at the helm and nav station so I now know a bit about installing NMEA 2000 networks and NMEA 2000 devices.

It looks like the DataHub connects to the NMEA 2000 network via a standard cable and "T" which couldn't be easier.  You will have to provide separate power to it but it takes anywhere from 9-60V DC so that should also not be too difficult.

Regarding this: "How does it not interfere with our Vesper xB8000 Ais wifi network?"

I am not sure what you mean by this.  When your boat is in a marina it will be surrounded by literally dozens of Wifi networks none of which interfere with yours.  I have four devices aboard Cara that create five different Wifi networks including my regular wireless access point that two (2) Wifi networks (one at 2GHz and the other at 5GHz), my Victron Cerbo GX, my B&G Zeus 3 Chartplotter, and my Iridium Go.  The DataHub will just create another Wifi network aboard your boat but it should not "interfere" with the Wifi network created by your Vesper xB8000 AIS device.

Follow the instructions from PredictWind and you will likely not have any difficulties but if you do, as Ross said, PredictWind has great support.  Contact them if you run into any issues.

That looks like a pretty cool device.  I wondered when someone would make a device that could create a "real"  boat polar using actual data from the NMEA 2000 network and now someone has!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Denis Foster

Hello,
Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience.

What I mean by Wifi interference is in fact that multiplying Wifi networks it is going to be confusing when using Apps that rely on one source of data.

I saw the tracking on Britican an Oyster it was interesting since you have weather information and the wind instrument data.

Having real life polars will help using the passage programming features with more accuracy. I feel it is often optimistic even if you degrade it to 70%.

Best regards.

Denis

Envoyé de mon iPhone