Preventing Bow Thruster drop during service

Jose Venegas

To avoid the danger of dropping the BT when removing it or when reinstalling it, I have used the following trick.  I start with some tension in the line after the BT trunk is in a favorable position. This also works in the water as long as you can ascertain the proper position of the line.

Ian Park

Yes, I always do this, but thread the rope through the prop space so it can’t slip off. Makes removal single handed easier.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96. St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly

eric freedman

Amel recommends putting a hose clamp on the tube of the bow thruster. It has worked for me for the last 19 years.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Yes, I always do this, but thread the rope through the prop space so it can’t slip off. Makes removal single handed easier.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96. St Mary’s, Isles of Scilly

Jose Venegas

Hi Eric,
Until about 3 or 4 years ago I used the recommended method that you describe, using  not one but two hose clamps to make sure I will not drop the BT into the water, or worse, on the ground as it happened to Delos years ago.  Initially, I was passing the line through the propeller space as Ian does but I realized that if the line is properly adjusted it is not necessary and it keeps the BT in a safe and stable position before uncoupling the trunk from the motor to mount the wood-line gadget.  If I had to do it in the water I would still use the hose clamps but also use the line for further safety.

Jose
SM 278