Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Datum: Donnerstag, 25. Juni 2020 um 20:31
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] problems installing a new Yanmar engine #replacement

The simple answer is that either the soft coupling rubber donuts were not replaced, or the engine/transmission output - The Vetus Coupling and the C-Drive are not aligned correctly.

If you did not use a fixed coupling to align all of this, it was done wrong. Don't use it until all is aligned correctly.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 12:35 PM Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:
There are several threads on this forum on the topic.  Here is one with a description of the alignment process after changing out engine mounts:  https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/topic/29770137#42520

Both the original poster Alan Grayson and I used this process AND the alignment tool after changing our engine mounts and it worked well for us.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Davi Rozgonyi

I don't know the specific answer but I will say this: there are many otherwise fine mechanics who will insist they can bust that engine back on with their feeler gauges and holy water.... DON'T LET THEM DO IT WITHOUT THE TOOL. It can be fabbed up in 30 minutes at any machine shop. Without it you will chew up vetus couplings like tenderloin steak.

michael winand

Hi Dave,  Do you have experience working with the alignment tool?
I am interested in knowing how you can remove the tool once the engine is in alignment?
Can you please explain how long the vetas coupling rubbers should last?
Regards Michael Nebo sm251

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 at 2:22 pm, Davi Rozgonyi
<davi.rozgonyi@...> wrote:
I don't know the specific answer but I will say this: there are many otherwise fine mechanics who will insist they can bust that engine back on with their feeler gauges and holy water.... DON'T LET THEM DO IT WITHOUT THE TOOL. It can be fabbed up in 30 minutes at any machine shop. Without it you will chew up vetus couplings like tenderloin steak.

Michael,

Once aligned with the fixed coupling (tool), the engine slides aft on the mounts, the tool is removed and then the engine is slid back in place. Until you have done it, it may be hard to understand.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 12:07 AM michael winand via groups.io <mfw642000=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Dave,  Do you have experience working with the alignment tool?
I am interested in knowing how you can remove the tool once the engine is in alignment?
Can you please explain how long the vetas coupling rubbers should last?
Regards Michael Nebo sm251

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 at 2:22 pm, Davi Rozgonyi
I don't know the specific answer but I will say this: there are many otherwise fine mechanics who will insist they can bust that engine back on with their feeler gauges and holy water.... DON'T LET THEM DO IT WITHOUT THE TOOL. It can be fabbed up in 30 minutes at any machine shop. Without it you will chew up vetus couplings like tenderloin steak.

Davi Rozgonyi

As Bill said, you align with tool, then you slide the engine back a few inches, remove tool, then slide it forward again and it will retain that sweet spot. I have no idea how long the rubbers should last, but when my engine was misaligned, it tore them up in a few hundred miles, mostly without making a single shudder. Only the last few miles did it start vibrating enough to notice.

eric freedman

Edited

Hi Michael,

Some of the following might not apply if you do not have a disk brake.

The alignment is straight forward but slightly complicated.

The engine must be disconnected from the C drive and coupling.

The engine is then lifted, and the alignment tool is installed. The engine is dropped down and using the alignment tool and adjusting the engine mount adjustments the engine is aligned.

The engine is then lifted, and the tool is removed.

It is then dropped down and reassembled. You will need to make bolts from threaded rod to hold the coupling to the disk brake. The aluminum coupling in the photo that you received is one that I had made.

Attached is a few pages from Bill Rouse’s book which he translated from another members work.

The engine mounts you have might be different as you might have a Volvo and not a Yanmar engine.

The entire process takes about 6 hours, I just put a new engine in Kimberlite and start to finish it took me 4 ½ hours as I had replaced the engine mounts and donuts previously and I was familiar with the process.

The replacement of the donuts does not require removing the engine if it is just the donuts. You can just disconnect the engine , push it aft and replace the donuts and put the engine . However, if it were me I would do the entire process.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Hi Dave,  Do you have experience working with the alignment tool?

I am interested in knowing how you can remove the tool once the engine is in alignment?

Can you please explain how long the vetas coupling rubbers should last?

Regards Michael Nebo sm251

On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 at 2:22 pm, Davi Rozgonyi

I don't know the specific answer but I will say this: there are many otherwise fine mechanics who will insist they can bust that engine back on with their feeler gauges and holy water.... DON'T LET THEM DO IT WITHOUT THE TOOL. It can be fabbed up in 30 minutes at any machine shop. Without it you will chew up vetus couplings like tenderloin steak.

michael winand

Thanks Eric,
Great information.
I don't have a shaft break, or shaft alternator,  a little simpler.
So the alignment is still adjusting with feeler gauges? Or dial indicator on the two axis?
I would be concerned about the removal of the tool and reconnecting the coupling without it being checked again.
Michael Nebo sm251

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 at 1:00 am, eric freedman
<kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Michael,again

[...]

Once the engine is aligned with the tool using feeler gauges it is aligned.  By lifting the engine and replacing it without the alignment tool does nothing to the alignment. The alignment tool just slips off and is replaced by the vetus coupling. Just bolt her up and you are ready to go.

I also tried using a dial gauge, but the feeler gauge is much more accurate.