Topics

Question about Cutlass bearing change

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Hi all,

How often is it recommended that the Amel 54 cutlass bearing be changed? Mine was last changed 6 years ago and I have not seen any sign of water ingress in the oil since, not experienced any problems. Reason I ask is that I will soon be having a coppercoat put on after which I hope to avoid hauling out for an extended period. Perhaps I should also replace the rudder post stuffing at the same time seeing as the plastic collar is now extremely tight to prevent leakage.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Arnold Mente

Hi Paul,
be informed, Coppercoat needs a regular service with cleaning with pressure wash and sanding so the copper comes get activated and comes to the surface!
I am not opportune against Coppercoat, but why the commercial ships don't use it? For 3 years in water you can use a GOOD antifouling and paint it again. But according the AMEL service plan it is a 2 years  rhythm to haul out. A friend of mine, also a SM got problems after 5 years and he let the job do again. He is one money takes no matter! He is happy so far there is someone who do the Job! The cutless bearing (think you mean the C-Drive bearing) needs a replacement all 2 years or 800 h.

Arnold
SY Zephyr
SM203

Am 28.11.2019 um 16:51 schrieb Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...>:

Hi all,

How often is it recommended that the Amel 54 cutlass bearing be changed? Mine was last changed 6 years ago and I have not seen any sign of water ingress in the oil since, not experienced any problems. Reason I ask is that I will soon be having a coppercoat put on after which I hope to avoid hauling out for an extended period. Perhaps I should also replace the rudder post stuffing at the same time seeing as the plastic collar is now extremely tight to prevent leakage.

Cheers,
Paul

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
SY Zephyr SM203

Arnold,

Thanks for your good advice and for answering my question. But I must admit it does leave me asking why after not changing it for 6 years I have not experienced any problem at all. I tend to subscribe to the “if it ain’t bust don’t fix it” maxim … usually, but not always!

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arnold Mente via Groups.Io
Sent: 28 November 2019 12:43
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Question about Cutlass bearing change

Hi Paul,

be informed, Coppercoat needs a regular service with cleaning with pressure wash and sanding so the copper comes get activated and comes to the surface!

I am not opportune against Coppercoat, but why the commercial ships don't use it? For 3 years in water you can use a GOOD antifouling and paint it again. But according the AMEL service plan it is a 2 years  rhythm to haul out. A friend of mine, also a SM got problems after 5 years and he let the job do again. He is one money takes no matter! He is happy so far there is someone who do the Job! The cutless bearing (think you mean the C-Drive bearing) needs a replacement all 2 years or 800 h.

Arnold

SY Zephyr

SM203

Hi all,

Cheers,

Paul

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
SY Zephyr SM203

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Arnold Mente

Hi Paul,

in the attachment you can find the official paper for maintenance for SM, to be the same for 54 is to clarify. Ask Maude of SAV Amel La Rochel.
 she will send you also the seals-

BR

Arnold

Am 28.11.2019 um 18:05 schrieb Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...>:

Arnold,

Thanks for your good advice and for answering my question. But I must admit it does leave me asking why after not changing it for 6 years I have not experienced any problem at all. I tend to subscribe to the “if it ain’t bust don’t fix it” maxim … usually, but not always!

Cheers,
Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arnold Mente via Groups.Io
Sent: 28 November 2019 12:43
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Question about Cutlass bearing change

Hi Paul,

Arnold
SY Zephyr
SM203

Hi all,

Cheers,
Paul

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

-- 
SY Zephyr SM203 

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
SY Zephyr SM203

Arnold,

Thanks for that. I think I have all I need.

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arnold Mente via Groups.Io
Sent: 28 November 2019 13:15
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Question about Cutlass bearing change

Hi Paul,

in the attachment you can find the official paper for maintenance for SM, to be the same for 54 is to clarify. Ask Maude of SAV Amel La Rochel.

she will send you also the seals-

BR

Arnold

Am 28.11.2019 um 18:05 schrieb Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...>:

Arnold,

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arnold Mente via Groups.Io
Sent: 28 November 2019 12:43
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Question about Cutlass bearing change

Hi Paul,

Arnold

SY Zephyr

SM203

Hi all,

Cheers,

Paul

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

-- 
SY Zephyr SM203 

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
SY Zephyr SM203

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Arno Luijten

Preventative Maintenance is key to happy boatlife. Waiting until the propshaft seal starts leaking is a guarantee it will happen at the least practical point in time. Doing it earlier means  you can determine the place and time. Same applies to the stuffing box for the rudder shaft. If you see the nut is almost fully tightened into the box, replace the stuffing material and the nut. Do not forget to use PFTE tape on the thread of the nut.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Matt Salatino

We had CopperCoat on our previous boat. It is now going on 6 years. It’s been sanded ONCE, before we splashed it for the first time.
It’s never been pressure washed.
We followed the application instructions, to the letter, and it’s been good for us.
We’ve heard some horror stories about it, and in every case, it was improperly applied.
Big ships don’t need to use it as they can use TriButyl Tin based paint. Highly toxic to sea life and people, long lasting, and illegal to use on recreational boats in most countries. I believe it’s still available in Trinidad.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Nov 28, 2019, at 11:43 AM, Arnold Mente via Groups.Io <Arnold.mente@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,

Arnold
SY Zephyr
SM203

Hi all,

Cheers,
Paul

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
SY Zephyr SM203