Topics

questions from new Amel owner

David Crisp

Hi All,

Bought a 1995 Super Maramu three months ago. AM hoping some of you
experienced owners cananswer some questions I have.

(1) Fuel Consumption - engine (TMD22)
What is the recommended motoring speed and engine RPM for the Super
Maramu? What is the fuel consumption at this cruising speed?

(2) Fuel consumption - generator
What is the normal fuel consumption of the generator? I have an
Onan 6.5KVA

(3) Battery Charger
The boat house batteries are not fully recharging after use.
I have reset the battery management system.
After one cycle of use (to 65% discharge) the battery management
system is indicating recharge to about 92-95% capacity after 4 hours
of charging (this is a long time it seems to me). After one week on
220V shore power with battery charger always on the system is
showing 98% charge.
The battery bank has 400AHrs at 24V total capacity.
I have checked the battery bank voltage with charger off, all load
removed and after one hour stabilization the voltage is 26.50V.
With battery charger on voltage is 28.05V

I am concerned that as I cycle the batteries more I will
progressively loose capacity as they sulphate through incomplete
recharging. A new set of batteries were installed one year ago.
Can antone advise me what to do or who to speak to?
What further checks should I make?

(4) Depth SOunder.
What is the depth offset for the depth sounder to display actual
water depth? (ie distance from sensor to water level)

(5) I notice there is an orange light or plastic dome on the top of
the main mast. Can you tell me what this is for? It has a grey
wire running from it down the mast.

(6) When motoring under power at night regulations state you should
show red and green navigation lights in the bow, a white stern light
and a second white light showing forwards over an arc of 225 degrees
("steaming light") about half way up the mast. On my Amel there is
no "steaming light" half way up the mast. In my experience of the
Super Maramu so far Amel appear to think of everything! Can anyone
explain why Amel has not fitted one? I believe I need to fit a
steaming light but perhaps I have misunderstood the regulations.

(7) The B&G Hydra system has no flux gate compass. Can I hook the
B&G system up to the Autohelm system via NMEA in order to share
compass data from the Autohelm? Likewise can you link the GPS and
radar? How do you do such things?

FYI am currently in Mahon, Menorca. We hope to leave for Gibraltar
in a few days. From there onto the Canaries and Caribbean. Not
doing the ARC but would love to be in touch with any other Amel
owners crossing this winter.

Regards
David Crisp
'Gallant of Fowey'

rbenven44 <no_reply@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@y..., "davidcrisp" <david@f...> wrote:
Hi All,

Bought a 1995 Super Maramu three months ago. AM hoping some of you
experienced owners cananswer some questions I have.

(1) Fuel Consumption - engine (TMD22)
What is the recommended motoring speed and engine RPM for the Super
Maramu? What is the fuel consumption at this cruising speed?
Hi David, I normally cruise at 1950-2050 RPM, which gives me 7
knots, and burns 3.8 - 4.0 liters/hour. I find that cruising at 2200
or higher burns a lot more fuel.
(2) Fuel consumption - generator
What is the normal fuel consumption of the generator? I have an
Onan 6.5KVA
In my experience, the Onan uses 1.5 - 2.0 lit/hr, depending on load.
[...]

This requires a long answer, but basically, the battery meter you
have installed is probably set to 97% or 95% recharge. Thus, no
matter how much you recharge, you'll never get back to 100%. It's
just an artificial computation. Don't pay attention to it. The
critical measure is voltage a few hours after recharge. If you're
above 25.5, you're doing fine. My batteries lasted 5 years, and I
only changed them because I was able to buy new ones at a good price
in France.
[...]

Most boats have one, but ask Amel about this.
(7) The B&G Hydra system has no flux gate compass. Can I hook the
B&G system up to the Autohelm system via NMEA in order to share
compass data from the Autohelm? Likewise can you link the GPS and
radar? How do you do such things?

FYI am currently in Mahon, Menorca. We hope to leave for Gibraltar
in a few days. From there onto the Canaries and Caribbean. Not
doing the ARC but would love to be in touch with any other Amel
owners crossing this winter.
We're in Lanzarote, crossing in late november. Send me an e-mail
if you're coming this way.
Regards, Roy Benveniste, SM Excalibur #195 roybentcg@...
Regards
David Crisp
'Gallant of Fowey'

doriandelanda <dorian_delanda@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@y..., "davidcrisp" <david@f...> wrote:
Hi All,
Hi David,

I own a SM from 1995 as well and I am still very happy with the boat.
It is located in Palma de Mallorca.

Bought a 1995 Super Maramu three months ago. AM hoping some of you
experienced owners cananswer some questions I have.

(1) Fuel Consumption - engine (TMD22)
What is the recommended motoring speed and engine RPM for the Super
Maramu? What is the fuel consumption at this cruising speed?
Other friends have told enough about this topic (2200-2300 Rpm
cruising speed is perfect on my boat)

[...]

It is absolutely normal what happens on your boat. BEcause of the
special and safe loading procedure it takes a long time to come back
to 100% (usually after 1-2 days on shorepower.

(4) Depth SOunder.
What is the depth offset for the depth sounder to display actual
water depth? (ie distance from sensor to water level)

(5) I notice there is an orange light or plastic dome on the top
of
the main mast. Can you tell me what this is for? It has a grey
wire running from it down the mast.

It can be the ancor light or if you have a TV antenna there is a
little red light showing on top of the mast.

(6) When motoring under power at night regulations state you
should
show red and green navigation lights in the bow, a white stern
light
and a second white light showing forwards over an arc of 225
degrees
("steaming light") about half way up the mast. On my Amel there is
no "steaming light" half way up the mast. In my experience of the
Super Maramu so far Amel appear to think of everything! Can anyone
explain why Amel has not fitted one? I believe I need to fit a
steaming light but perhaps I have misunderstood the regulations.

(7) The B&G Hydra system has no flux gate compass. Can I hook the
B&G system up to the Autohelm system via NMEA in order to share
compass data from the Autohelm? Likewise can you link the GPS and
radar? How do you do such things?
You are absolute right about the regulations. I think Amel is acting
like this because they think it still is a sailingboat even if you
run under engine. And it should be recognised as a sailboat so the
other boats take special care. I do not agree with this and so I
mounted a correct light on the mainmast.

FYI am currently in Mahon, Menorca. We hope to leave for Gibraltar
in a few days. From there onto the Canaries and Caribbean. Not
doing the ARC but would love to be in touch with any other Amel
owners crossing this winter.

Regards
David Crisp
'Gallant of Fowey'