Topics

Radar

Paul Osterberg

Hello!
Planning to install a Raymarine Quantum radar. We have an very excellent Furuno radar but it draws a lot of AMPS. I have seen that some of you have both the old and the new radar installed. My question should I keep the old radar or retire it? It is 20 years old and risk for it to break down soon?, I can use the old Radar mount and save maybe 500 € by take away the old radar and it will free space above my chart table. Any thoughts on this? you who have two radars the old and a new how often do you use the old one?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Arnold Mente

Hello Paul,
I have both from FURUNO and I am very satisfied with it. The digital radar on both MFD12 and the old one in navigation. I use the digital at night and, if necessary, the analog for control purposes. When driving close to the coast I use the analogue so the alarm settings of the digital one do not always have to be changed. Furthermore, it is a wonderful backup should the digital fail.

Best
Arnold
SY Zephyr
SM203

Am 15.03.2020 um 19:05 schrieb Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...>:

Hello!
Planning to install a Raymarine Quantum radar. We have an very excellent Furuno radar but it draws a lot of AMPS. I have seen that some of you have both the old and the new radar installed. My question should I keep the old radar or retire it? It is 20 years old and risk for it to break down soon?, I can use the old Radar mount and save maybe 500 € by take away the old radar and it will free space above my chart table. Any thoughts on this? you who have two radars the old and a new how often do you use the old one?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Arnold Mente

Urbaniweg 12
7000 Eisenstadt

Tel: +43 660 6699019

arnold.mente@...

--
Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203

Aras

I went with B&G 4G for just that reason.  Power.   I just got rid of my Furuno.   Wasn't worth anything
Aras
Sharki #163 1988