Topics

Ral Nr. for the red boat stripe on A54

Lior Keydar

Hello

Do you have maybe the information about the exact red color of the waterline on A54? I would like to repaint it. polishing does not help any more...

I hope that we all be able to sail soon again. We are waiting until Italy will open its border...

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Regards
Lior A54 #18

Arno Luijten

Hi Lior,

Most Amels suffer this problem. I was able to get the color back with 3M gelcoat restorer. That works quite good. However red is a notoriously bad color for being exposed to sunshine. Many red cars look bad after some years because of it.

The red stripe is actually gelcoat and the white stripe is a sticker (striping) on top of it. The white is very close to RAL9001. The red I'm not sure, I'm guessing RAL 3011, RAL3016 or RAL3004. The point is that if you are going to repaint it, you should use AWL-Grip 2-part paint as that is one of the few paints that will hold it's shine and color at this place.
Like with all paints the secret of your success is in the preparation. You cannot spend too much time on preparation. For myself I'm considering to have this spray painted professionally as polishing this rubrail every time is becoming quite the drag.
Painting it also releases you from the exact color match. As long as it resembles the other reds on the boat, it is fine. You will not get an exact color match anyway as the gelcoat colors react differently to daylight compared to paint colors. You can get RAL color charts from here: https://www.ralcolorchart.com/buy-ral-color-fan-deck

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno Luijten

Hi Lior,

Sorry I just noticed you were talking about the red stripe at the waterline. It does not really change the story though. The original stripe is in the gelcoat. The sun gets reflected in the water and kills the red. Again AWL-Grip is the best paint for this and I would recommend spray-paining to keep the layer thickness as thin as possible.
But for the stripe you have an alternative by using striping (vinyl sticker) to replace the stripe. These vinyl foils are very durable and available in many colors.
Wrapping boats is quite popular for competition boats where they want sponsor names on the hull. For companies that do these things this would be a walk in the park is my guess.
Hope this helps you a bit.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Lior Keydar

Dear Arno

Thanks a lot for your advice.
Actually I let the boat yard paint it incl. the red line on the top of the hull. I think they are very professional. They wrote me:

Band waterline and band rubbing strake:
sanding the strips band waterline including the rubbish
Painting with polyurethane cycle of the whole band SAME COLOR. He cannot see the original color but maybe it is possible to see it for a short after you polish it.

and It is also not cheap at all... I am almost sure that they will spray the color but I will anyway ask them to use AWL-GRIP

Regards
Lior

NICOLAS KLENE <n.klene@...>

Hello Ameliens

I am very interested in your discussion about the red strip exact reference .
However I am on an SM2K (#471) ! would the color be the same ?
Thank you in advance for any info
Nick
Sv DarNico
Confined in Marseille

Nick,

If your "red" rub rail and waterline paint is unchanged, it is very likely that the color is the same as the 54.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 4:09 PM NICOLAS KLENE via groups.io <n.klene=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Ameliens

I am very interested in your discussion about the red strip exact reference .
However I am on an SM2K (#471) ! would the color be the same ?
Thank you in advance for any info
Nick
Sv DarNico
Confined in Marseille