Topics

Raw Water Manifold Failure - A54

Sv Garulfo

Thanks for the heads up about the manifold.

Does premature corrosion of the copper manifold indicate a possible disconnection from the bonding system and/or an electrical leak?

Thanks
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Raiatea, French Polynesia

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 17:24, Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Michael,
Olivier Beaute had a fun quiz on this DB a while ago and asked what the main PVC pipe was on the boat - it was the cockpit drains!  They are not GRP fiberglass covered except where they are tabbed into the hull. I've drilled through mine up high for A/C and Refrigeration cooling water discharges when I added those systems to my SN - they are just PVC.

As to the PVC pipe schedule, I think plain old white hardware store Schedule 40 rated at 220 psi should be fine - there is simply no positive pressure at all in the manifold (maybe a slight negative pressure, actually, as pumps suck water). That appears to be what Tom Cunliffe has used in the article I posted a couple of days ago. But, hey, overkill never hurt, either.

If I'm not mistaken, all Amels have factory installed fire suppression systems in the engine rooms.

Cheers, Craig  -  SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Jamie Wendell

I do not think that the manifold corrosion is directly related to the bonding system. Copper will eventually fail in a salt-water environment, which is what I experienced.
You can verify the problems with copper by inspecting some of the original wiring in the boat, which was not tinned unfortunately. The copper strands turn black.
In the case of the manifold, you have trapped raw water inside and you cannot see the gradual corrosion taking place.
Jamie
Phantom, A54 #44

Alan Leslie

We had a complete manifold made out of stainless steel by EMEK Marine in Turkey for our SM.
Beautifully made, I think this is the answer.
Not sure if SM and 54 manifolds are the same, if not it surely wouldn't be difficult to modify the design.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437 stuck in Opua NZ