Topics

Raymarine Autopilot

Duane Siegfri

Our Raymarine S3G course computer is not working again.  The first repair in 2017 was just a software issue that was easily remedied.  This time I'm getting the same "Drive Stopped" error message on the ST7001 control head.  I have checked symptoms, and it seems tha1t the rudder reference, clutch, motors and compass are all working.  I've waiting to hear back from Dan Gerhardt about repairing the S3G, I don't know if he is still in business.

I'm starting to consider replacing the control head, compass, and course computer.  I'm hoping to be able to keep the drive units with their 12V clutches.

If you replaced your AP and kept the drive units, what did you use?

What was really frustrating was I had purchased a spare S3 Course Computer from Dan Gerhardt in 2017.  I just installed it, thinking this would be easy,  and it had more problems than the original equipment!  It would not engaged the clutch.  I've kept it double bagged in zip-locks and it still has problems.

Thanks,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Duane,

Years ago when going through French Polynesia I had the same. I too was told it was the course computer by two different techs who came on the boat and did a lot of diagnostic tests. We ordered a new one and waited 3 weeks in Raiatea to receive it. In the mean time a long term cruiser told me the problem would be a poor electrical connection between the computer and the rudder area. Having lots of time I finally listened to him and checked all the connections. In a junction box near the rudder I found corroded connections. I cut them back and reconnected. Problem fixed. Now, 10 years later during my pacific voyaging this year I had the beginnings of the same problem again. I checked the same connections and found corrosion. Problem fixed.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 19 December 2019 at 05:52 "Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io" <carlylelk@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm sure it's not the rudder sensor.  Raymarine gave me the resistance between various pairs of the four rudder sensor wires and they were all within spec.  If there was corrosion the resistance would be too high.

Thanks,
Duane

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Duane,

I'm fairly sure it was the wires to the drive motor that had the corroded connections , not the rudder sensor. The techs advising me did all those diagnostics too. Its not a hard job to check all connections.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 19 December 2019 at 06:40 "Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io" <carlylelk@...> wrote:

Danny,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm sure it's not the rudder sensor.  Raymarine gave me the resistance between various pairs of the four rudder sensor wires and they were all within spec.  If there was corrosion the resistance would be too high.

Thanks,
Duane

Giovanni TESTA

Hi, have a look at brushes dust inside linear drive to avoid bad electrical connections. That happened to me.
All the best to all
GIOVANNI
Eutikia SM2k 428

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 18 dic 2019, alle ore 19:13, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> ha scritto:

Hi Duane,

I'm fairly sure it was the wires to the drive motor that had the corroded connections , not the rudder sensor. The techs advising me did all those diagnostics too. Its not a hard job to check all connections.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 19 December 2019 at 06:40 "Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io" <carlylelk@...> wrote:

Danny,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm sure it's not the rudder sensor.  Raymarine gave me the resistance between various pairs of the four rudder sensor wires and they were all within spec.  If there was corrosion the resistance would be too high.

Thanks,
Duane

Dan Carlson

Hi Duane,

Dan G is still responding to emails, however he was cruising in Mexico.

When one of my S3G's was declared dead by Dan I was able to source a Smart Pilot X30 on eBay from a weekend sailor that needed something shinier. It had a better wiring harness and other than that it was pretty much plug and play.

That model uses all the same drives, compas, rudder indicator and seatalk.

Best regards, Daniel & Lori Carlson on SM#387, sv BeBe

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019, 11:52 AM Duane Siegfri via Groups.Io <carlylelk=aol.com@groups.io wrote:
[...]

JOHN HAYES

Duane

We had 2 problems in our Raymarine auto helm
Which we sorted in the mid pacific
1 the springs holding the carbon brushes on the armature needed tightening to apply more pressure

2 when we pulled the actuator arm to bits the tiny ball bearings were dry so we filled the arm and ball bearings with lithium grease and reassembled

It has gone ever since with us sailing another 4000 miles

I have also purchased a new motor unit as a Spare part ein the USA for peace of mind. While dealing with the issue I noticed in the hand book that the unit should be sent to an autohelm agent for service every two years

Seasons greetings

John Hayes

Nga Waka sn 141

Wellington
 New Zealand

On 19/12/2019, at 9:13 AM, Giovanni TESTA <giovannitesta53@...> wrote:

[...]

But, Dan Gerhardt is a better solution.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 5:41 PM JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...> wrote:
[...]

eric freedman

I would also check the drive belt for missing teeth and the planetary gear. If you do not have the bronze gears in the drive section I would change them out.

Did you try applying Dc to the clutch to make sure it is engaging, its 12 volts. I would also try putting voltage to the drive motor.

It is a rather simple device and should not be difficult to repair. I also recall somewhere way back in my memory that I had an issue with the screw in the center of the clutch, a little too tight or loose and the drive showed an error.

.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376