Refrigerator Freezer

Doug Smith

Edited

Quick question for the group. I’m running all three refrigerators and freezers on my 54-113. I’m having intermittent problems with the top loading fridge/freezer. It isn’t getting cold now, but is cooling down intermittently and then halting the cooling process at some point. It is t really getting below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The front loading refrigerator is getting cold and about 36 Fahrenheit, and my bench freezer is getting down to 3 degrees F.  My water cooling pump is pushing water pretty well as judged by the water coming out of the water outflow from the boat.

My question is since 2 of the 3 devices are cooling well, is my problem more likely a failed thermostat or potential compressor problem, or should I just replace the seawater cooling pump and see what is the outcome of that change. Thanks in advance.

Doug Smith
SV Aventura, approaching Charleston SC
54-113

Doug,

It seems like I am not the only one getting 54s and 55s mixed up. I note that you signed your posting with 55-113.😀

Probably only a partial answer:
If all 3 are running and one is not cooling well, AND if the one not cooling well is the first in the seawater cooling circuit, seawater flow is probably not the problem. I can't remember for sure, but I think the "top-loading fridge/freezer" is the first in the circuit. That said I always warn against estimating sufficient flow on any system by observing the outflow from the hull. I think it is near impossible to judge what is needed by this observation.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 11:22 AM Doug Smith via groups.io <dugsmith98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

55-113

Scott SV Tengah

If I was in your position, I would temporarily turn off galley fridge and saloon freezer and see if that helps. I cannot recall the flow order but if there is a flow restriction and the top loading gets water last, it could be that the top loading is just getting overly warm water from the previous two units.

As an aside, Frigoboat specifically states that the units should have water routed in parallel and not daisy chained as they are, but well, that's how they are installed on our A54, too.

If you want to isolate the thermostat, you could, of course, swap the thermostat of the top loading with the saloon unit. Another way is to short out the output on the thermostat.

Are you planning on running all 3 units full time and heading to the tropics? We do that and burn through the original spec'd pumps like matchsticks. Switched to a home-grown brushless pump and despite some teething issues, it lasts far far longer. Wrote about it on a previous post.

--
Scott
-Currently French Polynesia

Vladan SV PAME

Doug,

I have same issue on mine front loading fridge. Start working well but then start to melt. Top loading works well all time. I don't have freezer under bench.

I had technician from official Veco representative in Greece on board last week, they tried to add freon to the fridge and they said that in freon pipes there is water and when it cools down it freeze and block freon circulation. Only way to try clean freon pipes is to take it to the workshop. They said that if they can't clean freon pipes the only way to fix it is to replace compressor and evaporator. They took my fridge to the workshop and I'm still waiting for results.

As from my experience for sure you don't have problem with fridge pump. Pump or work or not.

Bill,

As I recently changed all fridge cooling hoses I can confirm that first in line is front door fridge and then top load fridge/freezer. At least that how it is on my boat without under bench freezer.

Best Regards,

--
Vladan

A54 #157
SV PAME

Jamie Wendell

Doug, I thought you were in the process of installing our famous brushless DC pump for the refrigerators? The variable drive BLDC pump will definitively stop the motor burnout Scott was referencing, but it cannot help if the hoses are clogged. I have noticed that even a minor restriction will kill the top-loader when all three are running.
Also, make sure the temperature sensor on the compressor is not failing. It is designed to switch off the compressor if the water is too warm.
Jamie Wendell
Previous Owner, Phantom, A54 #44

Jamie Wendell

By the way, my BLDC variable-speed-drive pump has been running flawlessly now going on 2 seasons. I would already be ordering another original-spec Flojet otherwise.
Jamie
Previous Owner, Phantom, A54 #44

There may be another pump worth looking at. It is a brushless motor with a magnetic drive pump. Two A54 owners have ordered it, but not yet installed it. A previous A54 owner installed this pump for another purpose and liked it very much. It is a little early to say whether this is a good solution or not, but because this discussion is ongoing I thought I would let you know what I know. I will notify you when I have more information.

On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 2:09 PM Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:
By the way, my BLDC variable-speed-drive pump has been running flawlessly now going on 2 seasons. I would already be ordering another original-spec Flojet otherwise.
Jamie
Previous Owner, Phantom, A54 #44

Doug Smith

Thanks Jamie and Scott.
I tried to switch off the other two and run just the one but no change in the function of the top loader.
I did a run of barnacle buster through the circuit last week while thinking that was my problem but it also didn’t change the operation of the top loader.
And as for the brushless DC motor/pump controller, that is finished and ready to be installed, and is my next step, but I we are on a 3 week shake down cruise now and preparing for a winter in the Bahamas.
I will likely install that this weekend but since my freezer and fridge is full and we are out, I’m hesitant to try that until I’m in a marina and have access to ice. I’ll check the thermostat and bypass that. What is the temperature sensor on the compressor? The fact that this unit has cooled to freezing in the last 3 weeks but won’t cool now makes me think there is either a failed thermostat or maybe this switch.

Thanks, Doug Smith

Amel 54-113, Aventura
Fishing Bay Marina
Deltaville VA, USA
Dugsmith98@...

On May 24, 2022, at 3:03 PM, Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:

Doug, I thought you were in the process of installing our famous brushless DC pump for the refrigerators? The variable drive BLDC pump will definitively stop the motor burnout Scott was referencing, but it cannot help if the hoses are clogged. I have noticed that even a minor restriction will kill the top-loader when all three are running.
Also, make sure the temperature sensor on the compressor is not failing. It is designed to switch off the compressor if the water is too warm.
Jamie Wendell
Previous Owner, Phantom, A54 #44

Jamie Wendell

Doug, if you open up the panel below the top-loader, you will see the compressor. It has a basic temperature switch mounted at the top of the compressor and wired into the compressor run circuit. It simply monitors the water temp at the top of the compressor and shuts it down if it is too high. It could be sticking, and you may not know that as the compressor will seem to run. It just will not engage.
Let me know if you need any more help on the BLDC install when you do it.
Thanks,
Jamie
Previous Owner, Phantom, A54 #44

Courtney Gorman

I would recommend a thorough cleaning of the water circulation system.  My bet our partial blockages and both the top loading and siloing fridge. I had the exact same problem and after cleaning the system both units stayed extremely cold the top loading even freezing things no other work was done.
Courtney
svTrippin
54#101

On May 24, 2022, at 11:06 PM, Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:

Doug, if you open up the panel below the top-loader, you will see the compressor. It has a basic temperature switch mounted at the top of the compressor and wired into the compressor run circuit. It simply monitors the water temp at the top of the compressor and shuts it down if it is too high. It could be sticking, and you may not know that as the compressor will seem to run. It just will not engage.
Let me know if you need any more help on the BLDC install when you do it.
Thanks,
Jamie
Previous Owner, Phantom, A54 #44

One other issue: Some older (including those installed in an A54) Frigoboat systems have a heat sink on the Danfoss Compressor Controller. If the heat sink on the controller exceeds 100 deg C (212 deg F), the compressor will be stopped and will be re-started when normal operating temperatures are resumed. More information here:

I always had a spare Danfoss Compressor Controller. It can be the issue in these cases. It is fairly easy to swap this part out with a new one. If a new one works for you you have solved the problem, throw the old one away. If a new one does not work, keep the old one as a spare. I suggest dealing in the US with VECO USA which is Coastal Climate Control. They have these in stock. In Europe deal with VECO or a distributor for VECO.
image.png

On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 5:55 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Courtney and Bill, as well.
Last night while anchored, we noticed the fridge/freezer started freezing things again and the front loader started to get a little warmer.
This certainly leads me to a cooling water flow issue as the most likely. I’ll do a more thorough cleaning of the Barnacle Buster. If not that, then I’ll look at the switches/thermostat next.
Great suggestions and very much appreciated!

Thanks, Doug Smith

Amel 54-113, Aventura
Fishing Bay Marina
Deltaville VA, USA
Dugsmith98@...

On May 24, 2022, at 6:55 PM, Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1@...> wrote:

[...]

Doug with barnacle Buster a couple of treatments is usually best as bigger pieces get loosened then stuck
Cheers 🍻