Replacement Fridge - see link

Chris Paul

Unfortunately our fridge has stopped working.
The local fridge mechanic said it had multiple problems & was not worth fixing.
He recommended I buy a new fridge as the labour to fix the old one would be greater.

This new fridge has the compressor built into the cube.
To make it fit he suggested it be installed on top of the empty timber box that housed the compressor on the old fridge.
This leaves space for the large pipe at the back of the fridge space (probably engine air intake??)

Hopefully, someone can advise me if this is the best way to go.
Maybe someone knows of a better fridge.

Regards, Chris Paul
SM 352
Whangarei, NZ

Ken Uber

If its time for a new fridge, please consider the fridge that JP put into Eleuthera.
Excellent 2 drawer.
"a Frigoboat 130 liter drawer type with keel cooler and a remote compressor unit.  This gives us more volume inside the refrigerator while using wasted space in the adjoining cabinet to install the remote compressor.  "

Well done JP

--
Regards

Ken Uber
0411 096 804

JOHN HAYES

Hi Chris
I’ve been looking too and can see that  burnsco
Have a reasonable range ……. Maybe opua or Auckland has good stock   I can get one for my santorin for circa 2200 with built in compressor

We use a seperate Engle portable in the hanging
Locker opposite the forward toilet.  Cost circa $800 about 3 years ago. Been brilliant for frozen meat veg and eg mahi-mahi etc

John Hayes
Nga Waka
Wellington

On 16/08/2022, at 1:27 PM, Ken Uber <kenneth.uber@...> wrote:

If its time for a new fridge, please consider the fridge that JP put into Eleuthera.
Excellent 2 drawer.
"a Frigoboat 130 liter drawer type with keel cooler and a remote compressor unit.  This gives us more volume inside the refrigerator while using wasted space in the adjoining cabinet to install the remote compressor.  "

Well done JP

--
Regards

Ken Uber
0411 096 804
Eleuthera - 36 degrees, small size-22.jpg

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Kenneth,

I think you made a small mistake; the refrigerator is 165 litres capacity.

For those folks contemplating this mod, be aware that 180 liter Frigoboat unit will also fit as evidenced by Robin on A54 “Carré d’As” on his previous SM named “Gros Doux”.

The galley staff on your crew will definitely love you for it.

:-)

Jean-Pierre Germain

On 15 Aug 2022, at 21:27, Ken Uber <kenneth.uber@...> wrote:

If its time for a new fridge, please consider the fridge that JP put into Eleuthera.
Excellent 2 drawer.
"a Frigoboat 130 liter drawer type with keel cooler and a remote compressor unit.  This gives us more volume inside the refrigerator while using wasted space in the adjoining cabinet to install the remote compressor.  "

Well done JP

--
Regards

Ken Uber
0411 096 804
<Eleuthera - 36 degrees, small size-22.jpg>

Scott SV Tengah

I replaced my MS130 with a MS160 with the integrated evaporator.  I believe that's the largest that will fit in the 54 - the SM is probably similar. I had to move the compressor to the space under the sink.

The 180 liter fridge is 1m high. That reaches above the countertop, so not sure how you would fit that.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Scott,

Fitted under the counter top on an early SM.  ROBIN got it done in Malta IIRC.

Cheers.

Jean-Pierre Germain, ex Eleuthera, SM007

On 16 Aug 2022, at 05:49, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

I replaced my MS130 with a MS160 with the integrated evaporator.  I believe that's the largest that will fit in the 54 - the SM is probably similar. I had to move the compressor to the space under the sink.

The 180 liter fridge is 1m high. That reaches above the countertop, so not sure how you would fit that.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

robin hutter

Hi group

the one I fitted on GrosDoux (SM #56) was a 160l Frigoboat - the one JP fitted was a 130 l to the best of my knowledge - in any case we loved it

Robin
Amel 54#54
Agios Nikolaos / Crete

Gesendet von Yahoo Mail für iPad

Assuming he was correct about the needed replacement, I believe he is wrong about how to do it and he may not have noticed how your fridge was installed by Amel...AND, if he did not notice how it is installed, maybe you need another opinion.

The refrigeration unit is separate from the box and the refrigeration unit can be replaced. These come precharged with special fittings that will not leak refrigerant as you connect them. See: https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.com/shop/online/refrigeration/Frigoboat-c25823717 I am sure there is a Frigoboat dealer in NZ
image.png

You can see the wood cabinet that Amel made in this photo:
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 7:36 PM Chris Paul via groups.io <chris__paul=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Unfortunately our fridge has stopped working.
The local fridge mechanic said it had multiple problems & was not worth fixing.
He recommended I buy a new fridge as the labour to fix the old one would be greater.

This new fridge has the compressor built into the cube.
To make it fit he suggested it be installed on top of the empty timber box that housed the compressor on the old fridge.
This leaves space for the large pipe at the back of the fridge space (probably engine air intake??)

Hopefully, someone can advise me if this is the best way to go.
Maybe someone knows of a better fridge.

Regards, Chris Paul
SM 352
Whangarei, NZ

Bill Kinney

A thought on Super Maramu galley fridges.

Our boat came to us with a aftermarket galley fridge that had been installed with BOTH air cooling and a keel cooler.  A nice idea, efficiency in the water, yet still usable on the hard. It was however giving us trouble.

When we finally got a good, experienced technician to look at it, he frowned at the keel cooler.  His experience was that they tended to cause more trouble than they were worth.  His logic was as follows:  Gas has to flow DOWN to the keel cooler, and then push liquid UP.  In many cases, instead of a steady stream of liquid refrigerant going to the evaporator, you get a much less efficient mixture of liquid and gas.  This is more true when there is a significant height difference between the installed keel cooler and the evaporator. (As was true with our galley fridge installation.)

While his rational made sense to me, I do not have the experience with these systems to say if it is an accurate explanation of what happens. What I DO know is that when we removed the keel cooler from our system, and made NO other changes, the problems stopped.

If you do go with a keel cooler be sure to use the kind with the built in zinc.  The keel cooler is connected to battery negative, and because of this it should NOT be connected to the Amel bonding system.  On most boats connection to battery negative would indirectly connect the cooler to the bonding system and it would thereby be protected by the boats zincs.  In a properly wired Amel, there is NO connection between battery negative and the boat's zincs, so the keel coolers need their own.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada
http://www.cruisingconsulting.com

Bill Kinney, you nailed it!

One thing, the keel cooler that Amel installs is on the hull probably not much more than 12" below the waterline.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022, 11:35 Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
[...]

OK Robin, so we have the same MS160. I was scratching my head how you would fit a 100cm tall fridge under a less than 100cm tall countertop!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69