Topics

Replacement of carpets in SM

Alexander Schenk

Hello,

We are looking at replacing our carpets (al cleaning efforts did not pay out) and would like to know if anybody has any good tips on this. Preferably a supplier in Northern France, as our boat is currently located in Roscoff, Britany.

Best
Alexander Schenk
SM #231 - Antinea
,_

Gary Wells

Alexander, I am of no help in France but we made our own replacements without too much trouble.

We made a template.from large wrapping paper then bought a "remnant" piece from a big-box store.

Cutting it with a box cutter was not too hard, just have to be careful.

Once we had the pieces cut out we took them to a real "Carpeting and Flooring" store and asked them to "Bind" the edges which they did nicely in only a couple of days.

We learned that the "Binding" process adds a small amount of extra material to the edges so our pieces were just a tiny bit too big but still fit ok.

I think we will do it again this summer as the first attempt was mostly an experiment anyway.  It was not very expensive overall.

Best wishes!

Gary W
SM 209, Adagio
Georgia, USA

Patrick McAneny

We did the same as Gary ,making a template and cutting the carpet,then had the binding done, I think I undercut the carpet about 3/16" to allow for binding. We were surprise how well it all fit,as good as original. Not a hard job ,maybe a few hours,spent more time selecting the carpet,we went with a berber ,as the pile was short . Its been in about seven years and still looks great.
Stay Safe,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Alexander, I am of no help in France but we made our own replacements without too much trouble.

We made a template.from large wrapping paper then bought a "remnant" piece from a big-box store.

Cutting it with a box cutter was not too hard, just have to be careful.

Once we had the pieces cut out we took them to a real "Carpeting and Flooring" store and asked them to "Bind" the edges which they did nicely in only a couple of days.

We learned that the "Binding" process adds a small amount of extra material to the edges so our pieces were just a tiny bit too big but still fit ok.

I think we will do it again this summer as the first attempt was mostly an experiment anyway.  It was not very expensive overall.

Best wishes!

Gary W
SM 209, Adagio
Georgia, USA

Linda Melton <lindajmelton@...>

We did exactly the same. One thing we learnt was to check the underside of the carpet. The one we bought shed a whole lot of the fabric binding material and we were forever sweeping and hoovering the bits. Also, non slip is important, in a seaway you can easily find the carpet moving under your feet ( and it also creeps in the passage way with normal traffic). We ended up only putting the carpet down while anchored or in a marina.

Ian

Ocean Hobo. SN96. (Still locked down and locked out.)

Mark Erdos

Alexander,

Sorry I cannot help with a dealer in France but I do have a little bit of insight for your project.

About 4 years ago we replaced all the carpeting in Cream Puff for under US$500.00. We were fortunate to find a marine carpet dealer near the boat and made a side trip one day to visit their store. We took samples from them and opted for a grayish/brown berber marine quality carpet.

The marine quality is very similar to outdoor carpet as it has a backing. The soft rubber backing is perfect for a boat. It is sticky enough to stay in place and not slide. It is not too sticky that you cannot remove it to access panels in the floor. Our carpet was made by Shaw and had a NuWave back.

We ordered a 10’ long piece of 12’ wide carpet. This was ample to replace all the carpet and make some door mats.

This is where we purchased ours: https://marinecarpeting.com/

PORT OF CALL by Shaw - Berber Carpet w/ NuWave Backing - 12' Wide x Various Lengths

Colors

Dunes

Lengths and Pricing

12' x 10'

BERBNUWAVE

1

$365.00

Subtotal

$365.00

Our price included delivery to the dock.

Check hardware store new you for outdoor carpeting. If you buy from a “marine” supplier, it’ll cost a lot more. You can buy a small piece at first and see how it works. It will need to have a non-slip backing so you can walk on it when underway without it sliding.

For the binding rather than send it out to a place with a machine, we found adhesive carpet binding and did it ourselves. We used the old carpet for templates, cut the new carpet with a pair of large workshop scissors and then cut and applied the binding. The entire project took a day to complete.

To do all the carpets you will need 100’ of binding. Here is the binding we used:

Item

Sku

Qty

Subtotal

Instabind Regular Binding, Per Linear Ft

Color

100 x Grey 39422

IB-RB-XX

100

$125.00

Subtotal

$125.00

Shipping & Handling

$11.35

Grand Total

$136.35

Here is a link to the store where we purchased it: https://www.tools4flooring.com/instabind-regular-binding-per-linear-ft-p-948.html

The link above has a video about how to install the adhesive binding. It is pretty easy to do. It takes two people (for the glue gun bit)

Our new carpet has held up really well and we can remover carpet when needed to wash it gently with our power washer. I have attach a couple of pictures.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us