Replacing carpet

Mike Ondra

We are looking to replace our carpet and prefer to have a foam back both for comfort and non-slip. Saw Mark’s post on Shaw Nuwave backed carpet but it appears that is no longer in production. Received samples from Boatcarpet.com and even their “Premium Textured 22 oz.” carpet which are not foam backed and seems of low quality. Kanga, in Georgia (USA), makes a polyurethane foam rubber backing which they say they attach to carpet by Shaw, Marquis, Mohawk, and Engineered Floors. So far I have not found any vendor in the US that has such a product. Will continue search, but has anyone recently found a replacement carpet recently that they like?

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD

Aras Grinius

One thought would those bathroom carpets. If you could figure out the manufacturer then maybe you could a larger size / custom cut.   Those carpet are meant for wet environs.  Just a thought.
I use them in my salon [course my space is much smaller.

Aras Sharki #163 1988

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:28 AM Mike Ondra via groups.io <mdondra=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

We are looking to replace our carpet and prefer to have a foam back both for comfort and non-slip. Saw Mark’s post on Shaw Nuwave backed carpet but it appears that is no longer in production. Received samples from Boatcarpet.com and even their “Premium Textured 22 oz.” carpet which are not foam backed and seems of low quality. Kanga, in Georgia (USA), makes a polyurethane foam rubber backing which they say they attach to carpet by Shaw, Marquis, Mohawk, and Engineered Floors. So far I have not found any vendor in the US that has such a product. Will continue search, but has anyone recently found a replacement carpet recently that they like?

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD

--
Aras Grinius

Bill Hall

Have you considered roll neoprene.  It comes in different colors and thicknesses.  Supplier should be easy to track down.  Think wet suites

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 7:34 AM Aras Grinius <aras.grinius@...> wrote:
One thought would those bathroom carpets. If you could figure out the manufacturer then maybe you could a larger size / custom cut.   Those carpet are meant for wet environs.  Just a thought.
I use them in my salon [course my space is much smaller.

Aras Sharki #163 1988

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:28 AM Mike Ondra via groups.io <mdondra=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD

--
Aras Grinius

Patrick McAneny

Mike, Diane and I replaced our carpet about ten years ago,we went up the Airbase carpet mart in New Castle ,bought a short nap berber in beige ,used the old carpets as templates ,cut the new carpet maybe a 1/4" shorter all around ,allowing room for the binding of the edges. After cutting the pieces out we took them back and had them bind the edges. The new carpets fit as tight and as exacting as the original. We do not have foam backing ,I like the firm footing while underway ,if I had foam ,I would not want it very thick ,as it would not aid my balance on a rolling floor. The carpet still looks like new ,berber wears very well.
Our boat is in Haven Harbor north ,stopped by Haven Harbor south a few weeks ago ,but did not see your boat.
Stay Safe,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Jan 18, 2021 10:28 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Replacing carpet

Mike Ondra
Aletes SM#240
Rock Hall, MD

Mike Ondra

With the frustration of not finding a urethane foam backed broadloom carpet (apparently available in Canada, but not the US) I am considering a thick carpet without backing. My concern was about traction on the sole but if the carpet is heavy and penned in around the perimeter, slippage may not be an issue. And removing the attached pad constraint opens a world of options. Did you consider not binding the perimeter?

Thanks Pat and all.

Mike

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Replacing carpet

Mike, Diane and I replaced our carpet about ten years ago,we went up the Airbase carpet mart in New Castle ,bought a short nap berber in beige ,used the old carpets as templates ,cut the new carpet maybe a 1/4" shorter all around ,allowing room for the binding of the edges. After cutting the pieces out we took them back and had them bind the edges. The new carpets fit as tight and as exacting as the original. We do not have foam backing ,I like the firm footing while underway ,if I had foam ,I would not want it very thick ,as it would not aid my balance on a rolling floor. The carpet still looks like new ,berber wears very well.

Our boat is in Haven Harbor north ,stopped by Haven Harbor south a few weeks ago ,but did not see your boat.

Stay Safe,

Pat

SM Shenanigans

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD

Mark Erdos

Hi Mike,

Sorry that didn’t work out. Thanks for letting me know it is no longer available. Too bad, carpet has lasted well for us and still looks good.

When I replace ours, I did consider another option. It was a plastic ribbed backing. Very high quality but a lot more money. The site I looked at made everything (binding, leather pull up tabs, etc.) and shipped pre-cut and ready to lay down. I’ll see if I can find it.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Ondra via groups.io
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 5:28 AM

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD

Mark Erdos

Found it. The website I got a quote from is gone. Here is the brand: Aquamat. If you do a search for the brand, you can find retailers.

No photo description available.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Erdos via groups.io
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 7:51 AM

Hi Mike,

Sorry that didn’t work out. Thanks for letting me know it is no longer available. Too bad, carpet has lasted well for us and still looks good.

When I replace ours, I did consider another option. It was a plastic ribbed backing. Very high quality but a lot more money. The site I looked at made everything (binding, leather pull up tabs, etc.) and shipped pre-cut and ready to lay down. I’ll see if I can find it.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Ondra via groups.io
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 5:28 AM

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD

Patrick McAneny

Mike, I considered binding absolutely necessary as we had berber carpet ,that wears very well ,but can unravel if not bound. I would think you would want to bound most carpet for the same reason and of course for appearance sake. As to traction, it has never shifted underfoot , probably because it fits tightly around the perimeter .We chose a short pile as it does not hide and hold sand etc. and can be easily vacuumed .
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Mon, Jan 18, 2021 11:53 am

With the frustration of not finding a urethane foam backed broadloom carpet (apparently available in Canada, but not the US) I am considering a thick carpet without backing. My concern was about traction on the sole but if the carpet is heavy and penned in around the perimeter, slippage may not be an issue. And removing the attached pad constraint opens a world of options. Did you consider not binding the perimeter?
Thanks Pat and all.
Mike

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2021 11:12 AM

Stay Safe,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Mike Ondra
Aletes SM#240
Rock Hall, MD

Jarek Zemlo

Hello Mike,

I am also in search for the carpet replacement.
found this but you need bit of German language: https://www.ruegg-shop.de/bootsbodenbelag/bootsteppich/
here another https://marineflooring.eu/

Jarek Zemlo
NOA BLUE
SM #201