Topics

Replacing Genoa furler rivets with screws and backing plates

Stephen Davis

We have removed our head stay and furler from SM72, and would like to replace the rivets with the stainless screws and backing plates that Amel now uses. Does anyone know if Amel still sells the kit with plates and screws, and what exactly do I ask them for? Also, I’m going to need to cut the foil above the old elongated rivet holes. Anyone know how much extra foil I have to play with, and still get a full hoist on the stock 150% Genoa?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Port Townsend, WA

Gary Wells

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 01:25 PM, Stephen Davis wrote:

We have removed our head stay and furler from SM72, and would like to replace the rivets with the stainless screws and backing plates that Amel now uses. Does anyone know if Amel still sells the kit with plates and screws, and what exactly do I ask them for? Also, I’m going to need to cut the foil above the old elongated rivet holes. Anyone know how much extra foil I have to play with, and still get a full hoist on the stock 150% Genoa?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Port Townsend, WA

 Hi Steve,
I know either answer as the folks at Martinique did that conversion for me.  Really glad I had it done and just a word to say that they did not need to cut off the little bit of the bottom (but the did cut off and replace about a meter at the top).
The inserted bolts will definitely loosen and need to be checked frequently.

Gary W.
Former SM209

Stephen Davis

Thanks Gary. Why did they cut the top? In my case, only the very bottom where the rivets had been needs to be removed. The rivet holes in the foil were so elongated that we just couldn’t get rivets to hold any more. It looks as if I will get a local machinist here to make the plates for me.

Steve