Topics

Replacing standing rigging - advice for other jobs?

Trey Cobb

Hi all,

I'm the new caretaker of Balthazar (A54-102). Due to a fracture on the main sail foil, it is being replaced and I'm taking the opportunity to also replace the original mainsail. In the process of taking down the mast, a crack was found in the original standing rigging so we've decided the timing is good to have it all replaced as well.

Since the boat is hauled out and the mast is down, are there any other preventative maintenance jobs I should consider? I am replacing the main mast sole. Anything else you wish you had done when having your own rigging replaced?

Thanks,
Trey Cobb.

Trey,

The VHF coax cable in the mainmast is good for 10-20 years. Maybe now is a good time. Choose a high-quality low-loss coax if you do this.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 1:08 PM Trey Cobb <tcobb775@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm the new caretaker of Balthazar (A54-102). Due to a fracture on the main sail foil, it is being replaced and I'm taking the opportunity to also replace the original mainsail. In the process of taking down the mast, a crack was found in the original standing rigging so we've decided the timing is good to have it all replaced as well.

Since the boat is hauled out and the mast is down, are there any other preventative maintenance jobs I should consider? I am replacing the main mast sole. Anything else you wish you had done when having your own rigging replaced?

Thanks,
Trey Cobb.

Mark Erdos

I am replacing mine within the next couple of weeks as I replace the entire VHF.

Out of curiosity, what causes the VHF coax to fail?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Matt Salatino

Make sure to get an antenna cable with tinned copper shielding. Non tinned shielding turns to dust in a few years.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Nov 21, 2020, at 2:13 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

I do not know what causes the VHF coax cable failure but I suspect as in all things boating, that salt, moisture, and corrosion increase resistance in the wiring. My understanding of VHF cable failure is that it is usually a slow process and that you lose signal strength over a long period of time, probably not noticing it until it is really poor.

Bill

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 3:04 PM Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Typically, the grounding shield corrodes, as moisture permeates the insulation. Also the end fitting that connects to the antenna at the top of the mast, corrodes.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt
Speed of Life
A50 #27

On Nov 21, 2020, at 3:52 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark McGovern

Trey,

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the Amel cult family!  I'm replacing my rigging this winter as well and I am strongly considering taking the masts down to replace it so I have been giving this topic some thought.  Things I'm considering doing include:

  • Inspect/replace the halyard sheaves
  • Servicing the Genoa Furler
  • Servicing the Forestay/Main/Mizzen Swivels
  • Replacing the Steaming Light/Deck Light
  • Inspecting/Cleaning connections on the B&G Masthead Unit
  • Replacing cables
  • Replacing any cable ties (Amel apparently used string originally but contractors don't and UV kills them quickly)
  • Thoroughly cleaning and polishing mast and spreaders
There's a decent thread on this topic here that likely has a few more suggestions:  https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/topic/32278124#47610

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara