Retractable bow thruster maintenance on a Sharki

Paul Peschel

Hola from Spain,

This summer my wife and took over an Amel Sharki, so happy to be part of the wonderful group now :-). Unfortunately the bow thruster has no propeller so we got a new one from Maud of Amel as well as a service kit. The assembly requires separating the lower part with the gearbox and the upper part with the motor. Somehow there is a lot of corrosion and the parts have grown together. Is there a trick to separate them again? Does anyone have similar experiences? Does anybody has disassembled the motor and might have some tipps?

Best regards, 

Paul

Paul,

Here is a snippet from a page in my book. Almost all of this has been previously posted in our Group.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 9:13 AM Paul Peschel <paul.peschel@...> wrote:

Hola from Spain,

This summer my wife and took over an Amel Sharki, so happy to be part of the wonderful group now :-). Unfortunately the bow thruster has no propeller so we got a new one from Maud of Amel as well as a service kit. The assembly requires separating the lower part with the gearbox and the upper part with the motor. Somehow there is a lot of corrosion and the parts have grown together. Is there a trick to separate them again? Does anyone have similar experiences? Does anybody has disassembled the motor and might have some tipps?

Best regards, 

Paul

James Alton

Paul,

Congratulations on your new Sharki!  The bow thruster on my Maramu was also stuck in a similar fashion when we bought our boat.  I would urge patience in dealing with this problem rather than using a lot of force.  I used a rawhide  (non metal,) hammer to tap the interface while spraying lots of PB Blaster.  Letting the penetrant soak and coming back to it to try again the next day.  It took about 5 days but finally there was some movement and finally removal with no damage.  Once all surfaces were cleaned up and greased future removals require someone below the bow thruster to catch it when the last bolt is removed.  I remove the bow thruster, change the oil and seals at each haulout, it is so easy to do now.  These just need regular servicing.  Best of luck to you.

James
SV Sueno
Vonista, Greece

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Oct 6, 2021 4:53 pm
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Retractable bow thruster maintenance on a Sharki

Hola from Spain,

Best regards, 
Paul

david bruce

Hi Paul,  

i absolutely second Jim’s advice below, we did this 6 weeks ago on Liesse, our Santorin to install the aftermarket silicone seals which seem to be working very well btw.  It took me 3 full days to get it to break loose, even though once down it did not look that corroded.  I do not think I would have been able to drop the shaft without the press made and sold by Amel.  Even so it had a tendency to want to slip down the shaft making you think you were making progress, this occurring perhaps because I was quite cautious about not wanting to damage the carbon fibre shaft by over tightening and found lining the contact service with sand paper glued to the tool,improved it’s grip. Took nearly a full can of penetrating oil, endless tapping, many attempts with the press and tremendous persistence plus no shortage of expletives, but it’s quite gratifying when it lets loose.  Be sure and have it well supported so it doesn’t fall to the ground, a line through the foot seemed to work pretty well.  Good luck. 

Best, Dave 
 SV Liesse SN 006

On 6 Oct 2021, at 10:13 PM, James Alton via groups.io <lokiyawl2@...> wrote:

Paul,

Congratulations on your new Sharki!  The bow thruster on my Maramu was also stuck in a similar fashion when we bought our boat.  I would urge patience in dealing with this problem rather than using a lot of force.  I used a rawhide  (non metal,) hammer to tap the interface while spraying lots of PB Blaster.  Letting the penetrant soak and coming back to it to try again the next day.  It took about 5 days but finally there was some movement and finally removal with no damage.  Once all surfaces were cleaned up and greased future removals require someone below the bow thruster to catch it when the last bolt is removed.  I remove the bow thruster, change the oil and seals at each haulout, it is so easy to do now.  These just need regular servicing.  Best of luck to you.

James
SV Sueno
Vonista, Greece

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Oct 6, 2021 4:53 pm
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Retractable bow thruster maintenance on a Sharki

Hola from Spain,

Best regards, 
Paul

Davi Rozgonyi

I did this service after neglecting it for only 3 years. Not much visible corrosion but I dam near ruined the tube using the tool. My fault, I thought a small car jack could press it out after nothing moved for a few days. Nope. Cracked my tube, which is fragile. Loads of penetrant (which drops onto the shaft limiting the effectiveness of the tool), lots of gentle tapping, lots of patience (days or weeks of it). NO HEAT. After you do it, drop it once a season, regrease the splines, then she'll be tight forever. If you mess up your tube, maude can make you a new one for about 3400 euros by the way. Thankfully I had an amazing glasser who repaired mine good as new.... Good luck! Defo the hardest job I've had so far in 4 years onboard Wake. 

Paul Peschel

Thanks so much for all your valuable feedback! Is there any kind of handbook / documentation for the bow thruster available?

Davi Rozgonyi

Google nikimat bow thruster. There is a complete walk thru with dozens of pics. Of course, bill's material too...