Retractable bow thruster replacement

Paul Peschel

Hello again,

after installing a new propeller sent in from Maud of Amel, our bow thruster worked fine for a few weeks. Somehow unfortunately the fiber-glass cover and a part of the gearbox fall off. I guess there have been some cracks in the plastic ( i saw a little oil dripping and closed it with sikaflex - big mistake and learning! ) and then it was too much force using it again after probably a long time without ( we took over the boat this summer and the previous owner died, so no details on this). I asked Maud, but the part and the mold are not available anymore.

Any idea on how to fix this? Have anybody reworked the lower section before and has suggestions on how to do it?

Many Thanks!

Paul

Paul,

Probably none of the other members know that you own Amel Sharki with hull #19.

I am guessing #19 was made in 1979. I am not sure which Amel retractable bow thrusters will match your Amel.

Maybe the only chance you have is to buy a used bow thruster from a wrecked Amel, or possibly a skilled person can manufacture a new one using the remaining piece of the old one as a mold template.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 7:08 AM Paul Peschel <paul.peschel@...> wrote:

Hello again,

after installing a new propeller sent in from Maud of Amel, our bow thruster worked fine for a few weeks. Somehow unfortunately the fiber-glass cover and a part of the gearbox fall off. I guess there have been some cracks in the plastic ( i saw a little oil dripping and closed it with sikaflex - big mistake and learning! ) and then it was too much force using it again after probably a long time without ( we took over the boat this summer and the previous owner died, so no details on this). I asked Maud, but the part and the mold are not available anymore.

Any idea on how to fix this? Have anybody reworked the lower section before and has suggestions on how to do it?

Many Thanks!

Paul

Paul Peschel

Many Thanks Bill! In which marketplace can you find parts from wrecked Amels? Do you know if there are technical drawings of the parts available to have them replicated?

Eric Freedman

Paul,

I have a spare complete bow thruster, motor, and jack.

It is not for sale.

What model Amel do you have and where are you located?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

after installing a new propeller sent in from Maud of Amel, our bow thruster worked fine for a few weeks. Somehow unfortunately the fiber-glass cover and a part of the gearbox fall off. I guess there have been some cracks in the plastic ( i saw a little oil dripping and closed it with sikaflex - big mistake and learning! ) and then it was too much force using it again after probably a long time without ( we took over the boat this summer and the previous owner died, so no details on this). I asked Maud, but the part and the mold are not available anymore.

Any idea on how to fix this? Have anybody reworked the lower section before and has suggestions on how to do it?

Many Thanks!

Paul

Paul, I do not think a late model SM bow thruster will fit. I have not seen a technical drawing for a Sharki Bow Thruster. Ask SAV@....

There is not an Amel graveyard that I am aware of.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 12:33 PM Eric Freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Kinney

Paul,

You might want to get in touch with Aras Grunius (you'll find him on this forum).  He has a Sharki, and is in the process of rebuilding his bow thruster with the help of a local machinist.

This was the first of the Amel designed bow thrusters.  It was a creative design and in a lot of ways, totally awesome, especially considering the state of the art at the time.  BUT... they are totally unserviceable.  Once they go bad, there is no way to take them apart and replace parts.  Amel has officially stopped supporting these boats this year, although this is not really a change, since they have not had drawings or molds for parts for some time.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hilton Head Island, SC, USA

Chris Doucette

Pual,

Consider a different option- abandoning the Amel (unsupoted) system and go for you own solution using new Tech..  If it were me, I would use the space for the existing bow thruster to install a Jet type- with no external moving parts, no propellers, things to retract, gear seals, etc!  Sooo much more servicable and could use existing wirring for battery opps..   check these guys out = https://www.jetthruster.com/ .

CHris

JB Duler

Chris,

Thank you for that link to the jet system. Never heard about this company. Really great find. I love it, no more seals, special parts, anodes, and clunky systems. Anybody on the forum has any experience with that system?
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Nick Newington

How about doing away with a Bowthruster altogether?
My last boat was a Bowman 46, 46 ft with long fin and skeg rudder,  never had one, managed very well without…used prop kick and knowledge to stay in control. If two or more up, could launch the dinghy with 15hp that could be used as a tug.
I would consider really good davits or stern arch with easy dinghy launch as a cost effective, seaman like solution.
Less is sometimes more.

Good luck
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019
Turkey

On 7 Nov 2021, at 01:18, JB Duler <jbduler@...> wrote:

Chris,

Thank you for that link to the jet system. Never heard about this company. Really great find. I love it, no more seals, special parts, anodes, and clunky systems. Anybody on the forum has any experience with that system?
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco
Meltem # 19, Western Med

Nick Newington

Of course it depends on the cruising agenda in mind. If ocean voyaging, you really do not need a bowthruster. If sailing from Marina to Marina then there is a strong argument to say that a BT is very handy….
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019
Turkey

On 7 Nov 2021, at 07:56, ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

karkauai

Did you notice intake is 3-4inch dia + two more underwater thruhulls as outputs.  Henri would not approve methinks.

Virtually NO propwalk on Kristy with AutoProp or MaxProp.  She'd be very difficult to dock in tight quarters with any wind.  At least in my hands.
KenSM 243

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Paul Peschel

Hi Eric,

it's an Amel Sharki from 1980 and is currently on the way to the Canary Islands. Where did you get the spare thruster from?

Paul

Paul Peschel

Many thanks for all your replies and tips!  🙏🙏🙏

Since I still have all the important parts (Shaft, bearing, propeller,..) and only the bearing housing is broken, I want to try to fix it first before considering a new system. So I measured the remaining part and created a 3D model ( which you can find here if interested:  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1399ygbJxGDwj2QWs8F_ks_N7xXlpLo13 )

The plan is to 3D print the part and reinforces it with fiberglass and epoxy. I got a test print ( the purple one in the picture) to check dimensions, but unfortunately, there was no 3d print shop that could print in a high-quality filament such as nylon or carbon within two weeks in Cartagena / Spain where we have been hauled out.  So I have closed the hole for now and postponed the project. One more on the to-do list :-)

Does anyone have experience with reinforced 3D printed parts?

Once this works I will share it here in the forum and occasionally there will be an update on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/blue.calling/