Rigging and Terminals

VICTOR MOLERO

Hello all.
I know that a lot has been written and discussed in this group about rigging and terminals, much more than what I feel myself prepared to understand, so please let me launch two quick questions, now that I am about to change my rigging...
- What terminals are best, ACMO or BSI? Amel uses ACMO, but I am being promised that BSI are superior...
- What wire is best, DYform or WDS? Amel uses WDS if I'm right, but DYform seems to be better.
Thank you very much in advance for your recommendations...
Best.
Victor
Alendoy SM314

Arno Luijten

Dyform is not better. It has for the same diameter more strength but is also more expensive. Dyform is a way to shape the individual strands into a shape that packs them more dense compared to classic rigging.
So in the end it is a bit of a trade off. Given the fact that the standard Amel rig uses normal wire, I struggle to see the advantage for dyform on an Amel. High performance boats like to use is so they can use thinner stays and shrouds. It is still cheaper then rod-rigging, let alone composite rigging.

I'm not sure if terminals can be such a big difference unless they are China-made. What can be a difference are the bottle screws. There are Stainless versions, Bronze one and Stainless with bronze inserts. Personally I like the last ones as you get a nice lasting shine and a reliable thread connection.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno,

Agree completely including the preference for turnbuckles with Stainless with bronze inserts. ACMO offers these and ACMO is still my number one choice for a complete rigging kit because it is high quality and is always a perfect fit. Any other rigger will not have the manufacturer's most up-to-date specifications and will simply attempt to copy what you have. In the case of the Amel 54, the rigging specs changed 2 or 3 times during production. If a 54 is being re-rigged, the rigger making the rigging will use the same size wire which was originally installed, and that 54 will not have the benefit of the changed and upgraded specs.

Contact for ACMO:
Laetitia BOUDON <laetitia@...>
+(33) 3.81.35.70.86
www.acmo.fr

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you so much, Arno and Bill.
This group is awesome! An endless well of valuable information...
Best.
Victor

Mark Barter

If going for ACMO, which I would do, just make sure you go with stainless for the body. The bronze ones tarnish quickly and can't be satisfactorily polished.

ACMO's customer service is excellent. I am sure they will be able to advise you if you are at all unsure.

--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky

VICTOR MOLERO

Thank you Mark.
Best

Jarek Zemlo

Victor Hi,

After purchasing my SM201 in 2020 I changed all for brand new BSI and it is superior quality. I considered ACMO but price/quality ratio was all in favour of BSI.

Jarek
SY NOA BLUE
SM 201

Mark is correct about using ACMO's Stainless Steel Turnbuckles with Bronze inserts.

The reason that chrome-plated bronze is not desirable anymore is that the EPA in Europe and the USA has restricted the chrome-plating process and chemicals that were previously used are outlawed. This has made anything that is chrome-plated less desirable, especially in a marine environment. The same thing applies to chrome-plated bronze winches, etc.

Bill

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 12:26 AM Mark Barter <markbarter100@...> wrote:
If going for ACMO, which I would do, just make sure you go with stainless for the body. The bronze ones tarnish quickly and can't be satisfactorily polished.

ACMO's customer service is excellent. I am sure they will be able to advise you if you are at all unsure.

--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky
SM 110