Topics

Rigging tension gauge

Ryan Meador

Hi all,

On the Zoom call this evening, Ian asked if anyone uses a tension gauge when tuning their standing rigging.  Here in the Northeastern USA, it seems that none of the professional riggers use them (I even had one tell me no such thing exists for wires as large as our rigging).

But down in Martinique, Caraïbe Gréement (the Amel-affiliated rigging company) uses an elevator cable strain gauge for this purpose.  I've attached a photo I snapped while Gaëtan's crew was working on our boat.  It made quick work of the process.  I'm tempted to buy one for my own use.

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

Aras

I wonder how big they are and they're coat
Aras
Sharki #163 1988

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020, 5:37 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:
Hi all,

On the Zoom call this evening, Ian asked if anyone uses a tension gauge when tuning their standing rigging.  Here in the Northeastern USA, it seems that none of the professional riggers use them (I even had one tell me no such thing exists for wires as large as our rigging).

But down in Martinique, Caraïbe Gréement (the Amel-affiliated rigging company) uses an elevator cable strain gauge for this purpose.  I've attached a photo I snapped while Gaëtan's crew was working on our boat.  It made quick work of the process.  I'm tempted to buy one for my own use.

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

Kelly Ran

Aras,

This tool will set you back $3k

Kelly + Ryan
Iteration

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020, 18:16 Aras <aras.grinius@...> wrote:
[...]

eric freedman

In Martinique and St Thomas they use a type of hydraulic tension measuring device with a digital readout.

I am sure many of the bigger Brewer yards around Boston use these gauges. I am also sure that yards in Newport can measure wire well over 12 mm. My friend had his boat rerigged and the capstays were over 18 mm.

I have the Loos pt3M gauge on board which goes up to 10 mm. I really only need it when I drop the mizzen backstays to get into a smaller travel lift.

Over the 16 years that I owned kimberlite before changing the rigging I found very little to no stretch in the cable.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Diego de Miguel (Sailing Living Lab) Amel Sharki

Hi Ryan,
I am going to test this one.
The vivration frecuency (musical note) os a string depends on the tension. More tension = higer frecuency.
Thus, why not to try with a bass guitar tuner? :-)
All the Best,

Diego de Miguel
Sharky 52

Gerhard Mueller

It is much cheaper to use the method introduced by Selden.

--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60