Rocna 33 anchor- does it fits without modification on Super Maramu 2000

Slavko Despotovic

Hello,

after waking at 6 a clock in 30m of water and 200m from shore I have decided to stop fighting original Amel anchor.
on my previous boat I had Delta and it was good for 17 years.
After reading posts and some investigation and possibility of fast delivery I have decided for Rocna 33. What is the latest experience with this anchor (I can have it delivered here in Croatia  in less then week), and does it fit without modification on SM 2000?

Thank you
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse, sailing in Croatia

Rink De Haan

Hi Slavko

I have had the 33 for three years. Fitted perfectly but I decided it was to light in some situations. Now we have the Rocna 44 which also fits without modification and am very satisfied with it (after I removed shackles). 

Best
Rink 
SM2k #330 Razors Edge 

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 26 jul. 2021 om 16:16 heeft Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hello,

after waking at 6 a clock in 30m of water and 200m from shore I have decided to stop fighting original Amel anchor.
After reading posts and some investigation and possibility of fast delivery I have decided for Rocna 33. What is the latest experience with this anchor (I can have it delivered here in Croatia  in less then week), and does it fit without modification on SM 2000?

Thank you
--
Slavko
SM 2000

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hallo Slavko

Your concerns about messing holding regarding Original Amel Wasi Bugelanchor…i totally agree with you. We already have had so much trouble with them im weedy soil and hard sand. no pleasure anymore, we changed. No more trouble!

Ask UltraMarine Anchors in Prague ( resp. For Europe) and there for Kris Teaotea, sales manager.
He did made a special quote for us Ameliens, about 28% less 
I have also ordered a 45 kg for pur A54. Ist fits perfectly on our bowroller,inkl. the special swivel. Shipping easy in whole Europe, also to our little remote island in Greece. here within 10 days.
The ultramarine anchor is state of the art today. Holds like shark teeth!,
Hope this helps, further Info here:

kris@...

Best wishes and fair winds 
Ulrich Michael
„Soleil Bleu“ A54#088
Leros GR

Am 26.07.2021 um 16:16 schrieb Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...>:

Hello,

Thank you
--
Slavko
SM 2000

Giorgio Ardrizzi

Hi Slavko
On my Sharki I have a 20 kg Rocna.  Due to Covid I spent 18 months at anchor in Martinique and I can assure you that it is truly a great anchor.
The only defect I found is the low thickness of the galvanizing which in some points has already worn out, but it seems that it is a problem common to all modern anchors and chains.  My old Bruce after 20 years was still in great condition.
In any case, with modern anchors, such as Rocna, Mantus, Spade, etc, there has been a huge technical improvement.

Giorgio Ardrizzi
sy Saudade III - Sharki #1

Le Marin - Martinique 

Il Lun 26 Lug 2021, 15:16 Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...> ha scritto:

Hello,

Thank you
--
Slavko
SM 2000

Ann-Sofie, S/Y Lady Annila

Yes, it does. Just to connect it to chain and use.

Even a 40 kg Rocna fits. Ours is from 2007 and have never let us down.

Regards
Ann-Sofie & Jonas Svanberg
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998.

Skickat från min iPhone

26/07/2021 kl. 15:35 skrev Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer <ulrich.dangelmeyer@...>:

Hallo Slavko

Your concerns about messing holding regarding Original Amel Wasi Bugelanchor…i totally agree with you. We already have had so much trouble with them im weedy soil and hard sand. no pleasure anymore, we changed. No more trouble!

Ask UltraMarine Anchors in Prague ( resp. For Europe) and there for Kris Teaotea, sales manager.
He did made a special quote for us Ameliens, about 28% less 
I have also ordered a 45 kg for pur A54. Ist fits perfectly on our bowroller,inkl. the special swivel. Shipping easy in whole Europe, also to our little remote island in Greece. here within 10 days.
The ultramarine anchor is state of the art today. Holds like shark teeth!,
Hope this helps, further Info here:

kris@...

Best wishes and fair winds 
Ulrich Michael
„Soleil Bleu“ A54#088
Leros GR

Am 26.07.2021 um 16:16 schrieb Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...>:

Hello,

Thank you
--
Slavko
SM 2000

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Slavco, we have the Rocna 33. Fits perfectly on SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Regards

Danny

On 27 July 2021 at 01:16 Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...> wrote:

Hello,

Thank you
--
Slavko
SM 2000

Bill Kinney

Slavko

It is important to remember when we are talking an anchor fit on a Super Maramu the bow roller came in (at least) two different configurations.  What fits on an older boat might not fit on a newer one, and the other way round.

I would second the comment that a Rocna 33 is too small for long term constant use on a Super Maramu.  Read the fine print on the Rocna sizing table:  They are recommending anchors for “UP TO 50 KNOTS OF WIND”. To my mind, that is not adequate for a boat that needs to be self-sufficient at anchor in what ever weather comes. Not saying that the Rocna is a bad anchor, just that it needs to be bigger than recommended in the official table for full time cruising use. I know Rocna makes a big deal about being very conservative on their anchor sizes, but nobody ever work up at 2AM in a 60 knot squall worried their anchor was too big.

We had a Roca 40 (80lbs) on Harmonie, and it fit on the “old style” bow roller fine.  We have since replaced it with a 105 lb Mantus M1. We have a lot more confidence it it than the smaller Rocna. It took a bit fo jiggering to have it fit on the roller, but we do not consider it too large at all. I’d put a 120 lb on if it would fit.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA

Dominique Sery

Hello, after having had some inconvenience with the original 30 kg Wasi anchor (I have skidded several times although i put a lot of chain), I chose to use a 55 kg Rocna anchor.  It may seem too big but for 3 years now the anchor has never loosened even with 50 knots winds.  It fits perfectly into the bow roller of the Amel 54 which is the same as that of the latest Supermaramu, i think.
When the wind blows strong at anchor, it is safe to have an oversized anchor that will not fail. You sleep better at night.
Dominique
Irko A54-16

Patrick McAneny

MY Rocna 33 held my boat and a 47 ft. Cat that drug into us at 4 am . in Guadeloupe ,his anchor slid up my chain and stopped at the bow . The Rocna held us both for an hour in 30 Kts. before finally breaking free. I was impressed , but I would probably go for the 40 ,just for a added margin of safety.
Good Luck,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jul 27, 2021 10:17 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rocna 33 anchor- does it fits without modification on Super Maramu 2000

Hello, after having had some inconvenience with the original 30 kg Wasi anchor (I have skidded several times although i put a lot of chain), I chose to use a 55 kg Rocna anchor.  It may seem too big but for 3 years now the anchor has never loosened even with 50 knots winds.  It fits perfectly into the bow roller of the Amel 54 which is the same as that of the latest Supermaramu, i think.
When the wind blows strong at anchor, it is safe to have an oversized anchor that will not fail. You sleep better at night.
Dominique
Irko A54-16

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Slavko,

We use the 40kg (88lb) Rocna on our 1990 SM#23. It's a great anchor that has never let us down and fits well on our bow roller. We use with 3/8" G4 chain and no swivel. My advice is the same as others have already said, go bigger, go for the 40kg.

I helped fit the 40kg on another Super Maramu (PITU) earlier this year. It fit well. I don't recall the hull number but PITU's bow roller was different than ours.

We've been on anchor in Opua, NZ since January 2020. The only issue we've had is other yachts dragging into us during strong easterly storms.

We also rode out cyclone Sarai at Big Mama's Yacht Club while in Tonga. Sustained 65kts, gusts over 70kts, our 88lb Rocna didn't budge. This included a 180deg reversal in wind direction as the Low center passed right over us. We did have a second anchor out (65lb CQR) taking some of the strain and reducing veer, but the Rocna was doing the primary holding. A good test and confidence builder that I'm in no rush to repeat :-)

We've used the 40kg Rocna since leaving New England in 2017. We spend the vast majority of our time on anchor. The Rocna got us all the way to NZ and continues to hold strong. Long story short... I highly recommend this anchor.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM#23
Opua, NZ

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021, 1:16 AM Slavko Despotovic <slavko@...> wrote:

Hello,

Thank you
--
Slavko
SM 2000

Martin Birkhoff

Hi Slavko,

as others have already said, I am also convinced that a 33 kg anchor is too light for a Super Maramu. Besides the design of an anchor, the weight is essential. The Bügel anchor and the Rocna anchor are very similar in design. The performance will not differ significantly.

On our circumnavigation from 2004 to 2009, we had a 30 kg WASI Bügel anchor with a WASI powerball and 70 m of Chromox chain. This anchor set up was absolutely reliable and always held. Even in Tierra del Fuego and Patagonia. According to our statistics, which I compiled for a German sailing journal, we anchored more than 300 times on this trip. There were only two critical situations. Once when we anchored on a layer of kelp more than a metre thick, no anchor would have penetrated this, and once because we had made a mistake. 
It is important to know that we ran this anchor set up on a 39-foot aluminium design that weighed around 11 tonnes fully equipped.

When we bought our Mago del Sur, there was no original anchor nor chain on board. We initially took the 70 m Chromox chain and the 30 kg WASI Bügel anchor from our old boat. At the next opportunity, we exchanged the anchor for a 42 kg Bügel anchor from the manufacturer Niro-Petersen. Today we use a 45 kg Ultra anchor on a 13 mm Chromox chain on port side and the 30 kg Bügel anchor with a 10 mm chain on starboard side, as this is the best way to us to arrange the two anchors. The 42 kg Bügel anchor rests in the aft peak as a reserve. So the ultra anchor with the heavy chain serves as the main anchor.

Just as a side note for those who are interested, there are Bügel anchors from other manufacturers, but the WASI is the best in terms of quality and design of little details compared to competing manufacturers.

For a 53 feet Super Maramu, I would definitely recommend an anchor between 40 and 45 kg.

Martin
Mago del Sur - 54#40

Slavko Despotovic

Thank you all for valuable information. I have ordered Rocna33. Maybe I am on the light side with this but I am convinced that anchoring system is not just anchor but is chain as well plus knowledge of the skipper.  Windlass is 1500w and pulling deep buried anchor can be an issue. I do not want to use boat engine to get anchor out of the ground. Will see how it works. There is always a possibility to buy a bigger one. On top od if as covid goes I do not think that I will go any further than Med in near future. World ARC 2022 have been canceled yesterday. Just to confirm that sailing long distance in near future might be problem.

Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse sailing Croatia

Slavko Despotovic

Update on anchor. Arrived few days ago. Very easy to replace the original anchor deliver with the boat. It took half an hour. First impression is that it holds much better then the previous one. Have spent 2 nights in southerly winds combined with thunderstorms without any problem. I am very pleased with it. And my girlfriend will be as well as soon she returns to the boat. 
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz