rot in the anchor lockers

Patrick McAneny

Just a heads up.Yesterday we took all our chain out of anchor locker,while empty we opened up the anchor locker to take a look inside.What I found was that the top of the locker which is the floor of bow storage lockers were wet, delaminated and falling down into the anchor locker.The floor/ceiling was constructed of marine plywood,but was not sealed on the underside and of course the anchor locker get wet and no ventilation.The topside or floor of storage lockers only had a thin coat of what looked to be gelcoat to seal it.The floor upon inspection was sagging under the weight of an anchor and was easily caved in when I applied some weight on the floor. My locker have at times been wet inside,especially the port side.After I out ripped out the floor I stood in the anchor locker and could see daylight coming through the bow where the forestay chainplate exit the bow,a source of water in port locker. I will seal this area.The aft section of the locker floor is supported on top of the bulkhead,the bulkhead showed some small amount of delaminating starting. I will cut the floor back to the tabbing dry out the remaining wood and seal everything.I plan to make template for new floor,seal the underside and glass the topside into the hull.Just passing this along so that everyone is aware and that they might want the have a look in their locker.
Pat SM 123

Craig Briggs

We had the same problem in our Santorin #68 - basically the same fix, but I also made a louvered cover for the access hole in the forward bulkhead. That gives good ventilation to allow the area to dry and totally matches the Amel woodwork. Obviously the bulkhead is no longer watertight, but I simply put the original solid cover back on when we make passages and use the louvered cover all other times.
Cheers, Craig s/v SANGARIS in Monfalcone

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "sailw32" <sailw32@...> wrote:
... the top of the locker ... delaminated and falling down into the anchor locker. ... the anchor locker gets wet and has no ventilation. Pat SM 123

Ian Park

Mal
Mine is the same and the floors in the bow locker are going. I’m sure there have been posts about the same thing on SMs. I think the inside of the chain locker (including the underside of the bow locker floors) was not sealed. Airing the chain locker frequently while at anchor seems the way to go.
I’m tackling the bow locker flooring next winter. At the moment I’m thinking of cutting out the main floor, strengthening the tabs all round and then putting in a two piece lift out floor. This would give me better access to the chain locker for cleaning and getting a de humidifier in.
I’d like to hear anyone else’s thoughts on this issue.

Ian Ocean Hobo SN96

Isles of Scilly

Ian Park

Mal, forgot to add photo of mine!

JOHN HAYES

Hi team

I had a problem in the starboard locker when a crew member standing in it put a crack in the base

After a through clean I put 5 layers of coarse glass mat and epoxy and ran it up the walls

Then a couple of coats of paint

Looks like new and not as my lot of fuss to do

John Hayes
Nga Waka
Wellington

On 16/08/2022, at 8:00 PM, Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:

Mal, forgot to add photo of mine!

Phil Berghmans

Hello,

I have the same cosmetic problem. Has to do with water standing in the lockers and not enough ventilation ...to much humidity in the anchor locker due to salty chain. Since I ventilate the area the problem stopped the stains stay unfortunately. It's cosmetic. The boat was in the tropics when it happened.

Sheers

Phil

Op di 16 aug. 2022 10:39 schreef JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...>:

Hi team

I had a problem in the starboard locker when a crew member standing in it put a crack in the base

After a through clean I put 5 layers of coarse glass mat and epoxy and ran it up the walls

Then a couple of coats of paint

Looks like new and not as my lot of fuss to do

John Hayes
Nga Waka
Wellington
> On 16/08/2022, at 8:00 PM, Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:
>
> Mal, forgot to add photo of mine!

Ian Park

Part 3 re bulkhead discolouration.

I’ve just taken a torch and mirror to look behind the area above the inspection hatch on the bulkhead. It is perfectly sound and the wood is still sealed properly. Absolutely no sign of rot. Why would there be? Henri would never have allowed such a thing!

What my memory recalls from an early SM thread on the locker floor deterioration was that perhaps the underside of the floor panel was not sealed as well as it might have been.

I do remove the hatch at anchor to air the locker with the chain mostly not present.

I will report back after the winter when both my locker floors have been replaced. If any of you have good internet access you might be able to locate the previous discussions on this issue.

Best wishes to all

Ian. Ocean Hobo SN96

It serves nobody to editorialize and criticize how Amel built these sail lockers and to shame Amel.

Our suggestions for posting are clear on this. Please be careful and stick to solutions.

AND, by the way, I have seen far too many of the sail lockers allowed to be soaking wet with water for weeks, months, even years. I have seen the result of anchors and anchor chain that have been dropped into these lockers. I even know of one case where the floor failed after the owner jumped into the locker from the deck. There is more than a design issue with the floor of these lockers.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 3:51 AM Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:
Part 3 re bulkhead discolouration.

I’ve just taken a torch and mirror to look behind the area above the inspection hatch on the bulkhead. It is perfectly sound and the wood is still sealed properly. Absolutely no sign of rot. Why would there be? Henri would never have allowed such a thing!

What my memory recalls from an early SM thread on the locker floor deterioration was that perhaps the underside of the floor panel was not sealed as well as it might have been.

I do remove the hatch at anchor to air the locker with the chain mostly not present.

I will report back after the winter when both my locker floors have been replaced. If any of you have good internet access you might be able to locate the previous discussions on this issue.

Best wishes to all

Ian. Ocean Hobo SN96

Craig Briggs

Edited

Hi Mal,
Yes, same darkening on our SN68-1992, Per my 2010 post someone pasted in this thread above, we add a louvered cover to keep air circulating in the chain locker. I replaced the floors a couple of years ago when they rotted through, adding an access panel on the port side to better be able to clean the chain locker. The darkening of the wood seems not to be progressing, although it is so slow I may simply may not be able to discern a difference year to year. Definitely a mystery, although moisture from the locker floor to bulkhead seems plausible. Then again, tapping the wood sounds like it is all good, that is, no difference in sound between the dark and light areas. I have not put a moisture meter on it, though.
--
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Ian Park

Thanks Bill for your useful reminder.
We should remember that our vessels are not so much a ‘design’ as an evolution by a very remarkable man!
Cracks I the gel coat appeared in my port side locker just this year which in mine and the previous ownership only housed the ballooner and mizzen staysails. The dampness and deterioration seems to have come from below. I won’t know for sure until I cut the floors out over the winter.
My suggestion that the underside of these floors may not have been glassed came from statements from previous SM posts following replacement of the floors.
As you possibly know, I hold Henri and his philosophy in the highest regard. They don’t make boat builders like him any more!!

Best wishes

Ian

Ian,

Thank you. Mal took what I said personally and rudely left the group, Fortunately, I had his email moderated and you did not see his rudeness.