Rotary Autopilot,

Eric Freedman

I have just rebuild my rotary autopilot it is a 24 volt type 1 . The linear drive is a 24 volt type 2.

I just want to post the info as the specs for the type one drive is for a much lighter boat , but that is the way Amel did it.

.

Fair Winds

Eric

Eric,

I do not think that is true is all SMs. SM 387 had a Raymarine M81137 Type 2 Rotary Drive.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 7:10 PM Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...> wrote:

I have just rebuild my rotary autopilot it is a 24 volt type 1 . The linear drive is a 24 volt type 2.

I just want to post the info as the specs for the type one drive is for a much lighter boat , but that is the way Amel did it.

.

Fair Winds

Eric

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Raymarine Type 2 rotary drive on 1990 SM#23 as well. It is a 24V drive motor with a 12V clutch - no voltage selector switch - must use a voltage converter or resistor to prevent clutch burn out.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
NZ

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022, 12:26 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Eric,

I do not think that is true is all SMs. SM 387 had a Raymarine M81137 Type 2 Rotary Drive.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 7:10 PM Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...> wrote:

I have just rebuild my rotary autopilot it is a 24 volt type 1 . The linear drive is a 24 volt type 2.

I just want to post the info as the specs for the type one drive is for a much lighter boat , but that is the way Amel did it.

.

Fair Winds

Eric

Ian Park

My Santorin has a Type 2 rotary 12 v drive. It’s new. When the old one wore out I popped a Type 1 in its place. It worked fine. Given the low gearing on the steering I don’t think it’s a great issue for the type 1 as a spare. The main difference is the gears seem more robust in the type 2 and the motor I believe is a slightly higher torque. But then, the Santorin is a lighter boat!

Ian

Ocean Hobo - Isles of Scilly

Bill Kinney

Eric,

Do you have a part number for that beast?  As of today, there is no Type 1, 24 Volt rotary autopilot in the Raymarine catalog.
Type 1 12V: M81135
Type 2 12V: M81136
Type 2 24V: M81137

 If you want to buy a 24V rotary drive today, it must to be a Type 2. I know this has been true since at least 2000, older than that, I am not sure.

The only difference between the Type 1 and 2 drives is the torque specifications of the motor, and I don't believe that they ever marketed a 24V motor in the lower torque range.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada
http://cruisingconsulting.com

Eric Freedman

HI Bill,

It is clearly marked on the back of my Autopilot case type 1 . The leads on the motor have a label stating 24 volts.

This is factory stock when I bought Kimberlite.

Fair Winds

Eric

Do you have a part number for that beast?  As of today, there is no Type 1, 24 Volt rotary autopilot in the Raymarine catalog.
Type 1 12V: M81135
Type 2 12V: M81136
Type 2 24V: M81137

 If you want to buy a 24V rotary drive today, it must to be a Type 2. I know this has been true since at least 2000, older than that, I am not sure.

The only difference between the Type 1 and 2 drives is the torque specifications of the motor, and I don't believe that they ever marketed a 24V motor in the lower torque range.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada
http://cruisingconsulting.com

Well, clearly Amel (Puchon) installed Rotary Type 1 on some SMs and Rotary Type 2 on others.

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 3:49 PM Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...> wrote:

HI Bill,

It is clearly marked on the back of my Autopilot case type 1 . The leads on the motor have a label stating 24 volts.

This is factory stock when I bought Kimberlite.

Fair Winds

Eric

Well, clearly Amel (Puchon) installed Rotary Type 1 on some SMs and Rotary Type 2 on others.

Bill

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.