Rotary Autopilot,

Eric Freedman

I have just rebuild my rotary autopilot it is a 24 volt type 1 . The linear drive is a 24 volt type 2.

I just want to post the info as the specs for the type one drive is for a much lighter boat , but that is the way Amel did it.

Fair Winds

Eric

Eric,

I do not think that is true is all SMs. SM 387 had a Raymarine M81137 Type 2 Rotary Drive.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 7:10 PM Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...> wrote:

I have just rebuild my rotary autopilot it is a 24 volt type 1 . The linear drive is a 24 volt type 2.

I just want to post the info as the specs for the type one drive is for a much lighter boat , but that is the way Amel did it.

Fair Winds

Eric

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Raymarine Type 2 rotary drive on 1990 SM#23 as well. It is a 24V drive motor with a 12V clutch - no voltage selector switch - must use a voltage converter or resistor to prevent clutch burn out.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
NZ

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022, 12:26 PM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Eric,

I do not think that is true is all SMs. SM 387 had a Raymarine M81137 Type 2 Rotary Drive.

Bill

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 7:10 PM Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...> wrote:

Fair Winds

Eric

Ian Park

My Santorin has a Type 2 rotary 12 v drive. It’s new. When the old one wore out I popped a Type 1 in its place. It worked fine. Given the low gearing on the steering I don’t think it’s a great issue for the type 1 as a spare. The main difference is the gears seem more robust in the type 2 and the motor I believe is a slightly higher torque. But then, the Santorin is a lighter boat!

Ian

Ocean Hobo - Isles of Scilly

Bill Kinney

Eric,

Do you have a part number for that beast?  As of today, there is no Type 1, 24 Volt rotary autopilot in the Raymarine catalog.
Type 1 12V: M81135 
Type 2 12V: M81136  
Type 2 24V: M81137

If you want to buy a 24V rotary drive today, it must to be a Type 2. I know this has been true since at least 2000, older than that, I am not sure. 

The only difference between the Type 1 and 2 drives is the torque specifications of the motor, and I don't believe that they ever marketed a 24V motor in the lower torque range.  

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada
http://cruisingconsulting.com

Eric Freedman

HI Bill,

It is clearly marked on the back of my Autopilot case type 1 . The leads on the motor have a label stating 24 volts.

This is factory stock when I bought Kimberlite.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Bill Kinney
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2022 11:55 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rotary Autopilot,

Eric,

Do you have a part number for that beast?  As of today, there is no Type 1, 24 Volt rotary autopilot in the Raymarine catalog.

If you want to buy a 24V rotary drive today, it must to be a Type 2. I know this has been true since at least 2000, older than that, I am not sure. 

The only difference between the Type 1 and 2 drives is the torque specifications of the motor, and I don't believe that they ever marketed a 24V motor in the lower torque range.  

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada

Well, clearly Amel (Puchon) installed Rotary Type 1 on some SMs and Rotary Type 2 on others.

Bill

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 3:49 PM Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...> wrote:

HI Bill,

It is clearly marked on the back of my Autopilot case type 1 . The leads on the motor have a label stating 24 volts.

Fair Winds

Eric

Eric,

Do you have a part number for that beast?  As of today, there is no Type 1, 24 Volt rotary autopilot in the Raymarine catalog.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada

Eric Freedman

Yup.

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2022 4:55 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

Well, clearly Amel (Puchon) installed Rotary Type 1 on some SMs and Rotary Type 2 on others.

Bill

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. 

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 3:49 PM Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...> wrote:

HI Bill,

Fair Winds

Eric

Eric,

Do you have a part number for that beast?  As of today, there is no Type 1, 24 Volt rotary autopilot in the Raymarine catalog.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada