Topics

Rub Rail insert

Patrick McAneny

I contacted Maud about buying a new rub rail insert ,she cannot provide an estimate for shipping. We are thinking it may be much more than we first estimated. Has anyone had the inserts shipped to the US., and tell us what the shipping cost were. The inserts are less than $900. I fear the shipping could be more than that.
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Pat,

I saw the rub rail "rubbery" insert like your vintage SM... when it arrived from France for another boat, it was coiled in a circle of about 2' diameter
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 7:03 AM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I contacted Maud about buying a new rub rail insert ,she cannot provide an estimate for shipping. We are thinking it may be much more than we first estimated. Has anyone had the inserts shipped to the US., and tell us what the shipping cost were. The inserts are less than $900. I fear the shipping could be more than that.
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

Bill , I saw a picture of two inserts coiled on a pallet,they looked at least 24" or more. I would like to order them ,but not knowing the delivered cost ,I am reluctant. Based on 175 lbs. with the pallet ,we are coming up with $2000,00 shipping from the Fed Ex site.,which is far  more than twice the cost of the inserts ,about $850. I am hoping someone has shipped them here and knows what their total cost was.
Thanks,
Pat
SM #123

I saw the rub rail "rubbery" insert like your vintage SM... when it arrived from France for another boat, it was coiled in a circle of about 2' diameter
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 7:03 AM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I contacted Maud about buying a new rub rail insert ,she cannot provide an estimate for shipping. We are thinking it may be much more than we first estimated. Has anyone had the inserts shipped to the US., and tell us what the shipping cost were. The inserts are less than $900. I fear the shipping could be more than that.
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Gary Silver

Edited

Hi Pat:

I had the two pieces of rub-rail insert (I call them scupper) shipped from Amel for my hurricane repairs in Puerto Rico in Dec 2017.  Price was $2,686 with shipping.  They were about 5 feet too long for each side but better long than short. They came as Bill indicated, on a wooden pallet (sort of a miniature pallet) about 2 to 2.5 ft square wrapped in shrink wrap. They were heavy.    So indeed, the shipping is the greater part of the cost.  About $1,800.  It was covered in my insurance  settlement.  I had been considering replacing mine when Irma/Maria intervened and gave me a bonus in that small way, (didn't make up for the lost year of sailing while repairs were made. The new scupper looks so nice I would consider pressing ahead despite the cost.  When you install it you want to make sure that it is installed in compression because it does shrink a bit.  It is easier to install when in tension but to better fill and assure it doesn't leave a gap insist on putting it in compression.  I also left it a foot too long at the stern and at the 6 month mark I made a final trimming to avoid having a gap due to shrinkage.

All the best,
Gary S. Silver, M.D.
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 Hull #335
Puerto Del Rey Marina, Puerto Rico

Patrick McAneny

Gary, I was afraid of that,I had read a previous post of yours ,but thought (hoped) that the $2,600.00 included installation and additional shipping to Puerto Rico. Its amazing to me that shipping would be that expensive. It might be cheaper to fly over with a couple of empty suitcases ,I'm not sure, I'm kidding,always wanted to see La Rochelle . The inserts cost about $850. ,so shipping and duty was approx. $1,700.00.,nuts ! Would you have a guesstimate of what each piece weight was ?
Thanks,
Pat