Topics

Rub rail purchase


amelforme
 

In 1986, the Sharki, Maramu and Mango all shared the same rub rail. I believe they did throughout the entire production. I sold my first Amel in 1981 and am not sure of the years previous to that.

 

 

All the best,

Joel

 

           JOEL F. POTTER ~ CRUISING YACHT SPECIALIST, L.L.C.

                                         The Experienced AMEL Guy

UNSURPASSED AMEL MARKETING EXPERIENCE AND PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE

                                  Office 954-462-5869  Cell 954-812-2485

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Watkins via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2020 3:07 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rub rail purchase

 

I am not sure exactly on the various rub rails but they are for sure different.  The information I have is that the Maramu and Sharki are the same.  If you wush I will send you a drawing of the die when it is done.

You might ask Joel Porter he may know.

 

Jim Watkins

Act II Maramu hull 185

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: svcharisma via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2020 12:50 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rub rail purchase

 

Jim,

I'm curious if your Maramu rub rail might be similar to our Mango hull #62, built in 1986.  What did you send them to confirm the profile?  Are you able to post a picture of your rub rail profile?

 

Alan

s/v Charisma

Mango #62

 


svcharisma
 

Jim,
that would be great if you could post a picture or sketch of the die when it is done.  Did you send them a section of rub rail for them to match?

s/v Charisma
Alan
Mango #62


James Watkins
 

So far have only sent sketch Jim Watkinsand pictures.  I will send die drawing when finished,   

Jim Watkins\
Act II  Maramu 185 



On Saturday, July 25, 2020, 03:16:07 PM GMT+2, svcharisma via groups.io <svcharisma@...> wrote:


Jim,
that would be great if you could post a picture or sketch of the die when it is done.  Did you send them a section of rub rail for them to match?

s/v Charisma
Alan
Mango #62


svcharisma
 

Jim, what year was your boat built?

Alan
s/v Charisma
Mango #62


James Watkins
 

1985

Jim Watkins
Act II  Maramu hull 185

On Saturday, July 25, 2020, 10:20:46 PM GMT+2, svcharisma via groups.io <svcharisma@...> wrote:


Jim, what year was your boat built?

Alan
s/v Charisma
Mango #62



eric freedman
 

Hi Pat,

I am also interested in a new rub rail insert.

Do you think the company can make a few short samples just to make sure we have the correct model?

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 1:21 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Rub rail purchase

 

I have sent a cross section of my rubrail ,from my Super Maramu to Techno Rubber Industries in Fla. ,they will produce a die and sample for my inspection . I intend to place an order as soon as I receive the sample and final pricing. The die will cost me $450.00 ,the rub rail will run somewhere around $11 per ft. ,roughly $1200. The more boats ordering would bring the price down and I would like to share the cost of the die. The rub rail would be slightly off white. Another owner of a Mango has already purchased from this company and was happy with the service and product. Shipping to Maryland where I live is roughly estimated to be about $200.
So if anyone would like to join me in a group buy ,please email me at , sailw32@... . I will give the final number of orders to the company as soon as I get the sample from them. They will then give me a final price based on the number of orders ,the more the less. I will probably place the order within the next ten days,so please get back to me ASAP.
Thanks,
Pat McAneny
SM Shenanigans #123


Craig Briggs
 

Hi Eric,
Not to step on a reply from Pat, but today I visited the company, Techno Rubber to go over "our" order. I took my entire starboard side insert and they had Pat's sample. While there, we had a conference call with Pat with the sample inserts sitting in the office so we could discuss them. They have their extrusion dies made by an outside supplier, which is being done now, based on the sample Pat sent them. (These are not pre-defined "models" but custom machined steel dies.)  The die should be back next week and they will run off a few feet, sending some to Pat and I'll pick one up, too (I am close to the shop). After Pat and I check them for any needed fine tuning, we'll give the OK for full length runs.

I was very favorably impressed - this is a small but substantial and very credible family owned operation with three extrusion lines of about 100' each making all sorts of similar extruded products.

There is no question of having the "correct model" - as noted it is custom (no "model #") and Pat and I will check it out. Of course, we can send you a foot or so. If you can commit it would be great so we can share the die cost.  Let us know, please.

ANY OTHER SM OR SN OWNERS WANTING TO REPLACE THEIR (scuzzy, UV damaged, oxidized and ugly) RUB RAIL INSERTS - NOW'S THE TIME!  Let Pat (or me) know, please.

The new ones will be white, (not the original Amel baby diaper brown) - the same as the standard extruded rub rails on pilings and docks that you see everywhere.

Cheers, Craig 
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL


Chad & Leslie Shoaf
 

I would be interested in the rub rail for an 85 Maramu.  

Chad

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020, 7:57 AM James Watkins via groups.io <ewatk49734=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Pat  I am the owner of a Maramu hull 185 and am going to also replace the rubrail but as I understand it is quite different than the one you are ordering.  Only send this to let you know that I am also in the process of ordering a die to do a new rub rail from Techno Rubber Industries also.  Only mention it as they may be even sharper on pricing if a couple of different Amel models are ordering from them.  I don’t have any idea if other Maramu or Sharki owers would like to replace their rub rail but getting more order for a custom part always saves money and after thirty years or so they do need replacing. 

 

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Act II Maramu hull 185

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2020 1:14 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rub rail purchase

 

Vladimir, I have a sketch that Maude sent me,which I will send. But the rub rail is going to be fabricated based on an actual piece of rubrail to be certain it is an exact reproduction. They will send me a sample before production begins. I have paid for the design/die so the order is in the works. The order will be placed within the next ten days, so I urge anyone interested to join the group buy soon. The more owners that place an order will bring the price even lower.
 Thanks,
Par
Shenanigans #123

 


Patrick McAneny
 

Eric, I can’t add much to Craig’s reply, Craig and I will both trail fit a sample on our boats,to confirm the fit. The die is being made directly from a cross section that we cut from our rub rail insert.If you or any owner would like to join the group buy, please contact me so that I can add you to the list. I expect to place the order in roughly ten days.

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


eric freedman
 

Hi Craig,
I

On July 29, 2020 at 6:23 PM "Craig & Katherine Briggs via groups.io" <sangaris@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,
Not to step on a reply from Pat, but today I visited the company, Techno Rubber to go over "our" order. I took my entire starboard side insert and they had Pat's sample. While there, we had a conference call with Pat with the sample inserts sitting in the office so we could discuss them. They have their extrusion dies made by an outside supplier, which is being done now, based on the sample Pat sent them. (These are not pre-defined "models" but custom machined steel dies.)  The die should be back next week and they will run off a few feet, sending some to Pat and I'll pick one up, too (I am close to the shop). After Pat and I check them for any needed fine tuning, we'll give the OK for full length runs.

I was very favorably impressed - this is a small but substantial and very credible family owned operation with three extrusion lines of about 100' each making all sorts of similar extruded products.

There is no question of having the "correct model" - as noted it is custom (no "model #") and Pat and I will check it out. Of course, we can send you a foot or so. If you can commit it would be great so we can share the die cost.  Let us know, please.

ANY OTHER SM OR SN OWNERS WANTING TO REPLACE THEIR (scuzzy, UV damaged, oxidized and ugly) RUB RAIL INSERTS - NOW'S THE TIME!  Let Pat (or me) know, please.

The new ones will be white, (not the original Amel baby diaper brown) - the same as the standard extruded rub rails on pilings and docks that you see everywhere.

Cheers, Craig 
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

 


eric freedman
 

Hi Craig,
I will be happy to order the rail insert once i can confirm it is the one that is on Kimberlite.
I only need a very small piece. One foot would be fine.
My email is Kimberlite@...
Fair Winds
Eric
sm 376

On July 29, 2020 at 6:23 PM "Craig & Katherine Briggs via groups.io" <sangaris@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,
Not to step on a reply from Pat, but today I visited the company, Techno Rubber to go over "our" order. I took my entire starboard side insert and they had Pat's sample. While there, we had a conference call with Pat with the sample inserts sitting in the office so we could discuss them. They have their extrusion dies made by an outside supplier, which is being done now, based on the sample Pat sent them. (These are not pre-defined "models" but custom machined steel dies.)  The die should be back next week and they will run off a few feet, sending some to Pat and I'll pick one up, too (I am close to the shop). After Pat and I check them for any needed fine tuning, we'll give the OK for full length runs.

I was very favorably impressed - this is a small but substantial and very credible family owned operation with three extrusion lines of about 100' each making all sorts of similar extruded products.

There is no question of having the "correct model" - as noted it is custom (no "model #") and Pat and I will check it out. Of course, we can send you a foot or so. If you can commit it would be great so we can share the die cost.  Let us know, please.

ANY OTHER SM OR SN OWNERS WANTING TO REPLACE THEIR (scuzzy, UV damaged, oxidized and ugly) RUB RAIL INSERTS - NOW'S THE TIME!  Let Pat (or me) know, please.

The new ones will be white, (not the original Amel baby diaper brown) - the same as the standard extruded rub rails on pilings and docks that you see everywhere.

Cheers, Craig 
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

 


eric freedman
 

Pat,
once i can match up the sample i will be happy to order the insert.
You can use my FedEx number to get the sample to me quickly.
Kimberlite@...
Eric

On July 29, 2020 at 7:13 PM "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Eric, I can’t add much to Craig’s reply, Craig and I will both trail fit a sample on our boats,to confirm the fit. The die is being made directly from a cross section that we cut from our rub rail insert.If you or any owner would like to join the group buy, please contact me so that I can add you to the list. I expect to place the order in roughly ten days.

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans


 


eric freedman
 

Is this a semi rigid material or a rubbery material?

Fair Winds,

Eric

On July 29, 2020 at 8:55 PM eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Craig,
I will be happy to order the rail insert once i can confirm it is the one that is on Kimberlite.
I only need a very small piece. One foot would be fine.
My email is Kimberlite@...
Fair Winds
Eric
sm 376

On July 29, 2020 at 6:23 PM "Craig & Katherine Briggs via groups.io" <sangaris@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,
Not to step on a reply from Pat, but today I visited the company, Techno Rubber to go over "our" order. I took my entire starboard side insert and they had Pat's sample. While there, we had a conference call with Pat with the sample inserts sitting in the office so we could discuss them. They have their extrusion dies made by an outside supplier, which is being done now, based on the sample Pat sent them. (These are not pre-defined "models" but custom machined steel dies.)  The die should be back next week and they will run off a few feet, sending some to Pat and I'll pick one up, too (I am close to the shop). After Pat and I check them for any needed fine tuning, we'll give the OK for full length runs.

I was very favorably impressed - this is a small but substantial and very credible family owned operation with three extrusion lines of about 100' each making all sorts of similar extruded products.

There is no question of having the "correct model" - as noted it is custom (no "model #") and Pat and I will check it out. Of course, we can send you a foot or so. If you can commit it would be great so we can share the die cost.  Let us know, please.

ANY OTHER SM OR SN OWNERS WANTING TO REPLACE THEIR (scuzzy, UV damaged, oxidized and ugly) RUB RAIL INSERTS - NOW'S THE TIME!  Let Pat (or me) know, please.

The new ones will be white, (not the original Amel baby diaper brown) - the same as the standard extruded rub rails on pilings and docks that you see everywhere.

Cheers, Craig 
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

 


 


 


Patrick McAneny
 

Eric, It is made from EPDM, the same material that most all exterior products of this type is made from. I am sure that your insert is made from the same material. I will receive a 6 inch sample to confirm that the insert is an exact match of the original. Craig is going down to pick up a sample piece,as he is only an hour away. Once we determine that the insert is an exact reproduction, if you need to confirm this for yourself ,I will forward my sample on to you. Let me know if you would like to be included in the group buy.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans 


Aras Grinius
 

I would be interested for my Sharki #163

Aras


On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 6:24 PM Chad & Leslie Shoaf <crshoaf21@...> wrote:
I would be interested in the rub rail for an 85 Maramu.  

Chad

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020, 7:57 AM James Watkins via groups.io <ewatk49734=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Pat  I am the owner of a Maramu hull 185 and am going to also replace the rubrail but as I understand it is quite different than the one you are ordering.  Only send this to let you know that I am also in the process of ordering a die to do a new rub rail from Techno Rubber Industries also.  Only mention it as they may be even sharper on pricing if a couple of different Amel models are ordering from them.  I don’t have any idea if other Maramu or Sharki owers would like to replace their rub rail but getting more order for a custom part always saves money and after thirty years or so they do need replacing. 

 

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Act II Maramu hull 185

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2020 1:14 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rub rail purchase

 

Vladimir, I have a sketch that Maude sent me,which I will send. But the rub rail is going to be fabricated based on an actual piece of rubrail to be certain it is an exact reproduction. They will send me a sample before production begins. I have paid for the design/die so the order is in the works. The order will be placed within the next ten days, so I urge anyone interested to join the group buy soon. The more owners that place an order will bring the price even lower.
 Thanks,
Par
Shenanigans #123

 



--
Aras Grinius


James Watkins
 

I will also send you final drawing and a one foot sample of the first extrusion.

 

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Act II Maraamu hull 185

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Aras
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2020 3:40 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Group Moderators
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rub rail purchase

 

I would be interested for my Sharki #163

 

Aras

 

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 6:24 PM Chad & Leslie Shoaf <crshoaf21@...> wrote:

I would be interested in the rub rail for an 85 Maramu.  

 

Chad

 

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020, 7:57 AM James Watkins via groups.io <ewatk49734=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Pat  I am the owner of a Maramu hull 185 and am going to also replace the rubrail but as I understand it is quite different than the one you are ordering.  Only send this to let you know that I am also in the process of ordering a die to do a new rub rail from Techno Rubber Industries also.  Only mention it as they may be even sharper on pricing if a couple of different Amel models are ordering from them.  I don’t have any idea if other Maramu or Sharki owers would like to replace their rub rail but getting more order for a custom part always saves money and after thirty years or so they do need replacing. 

 

Best Regards

Jim Watkins

Act II Maramu hull 185

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2020 1:14 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Rub rail purchase

 

Vladimir, I have a sketch that Maude sent me,which I will send. But the rub rail is going to be fabricated based on an actual piece of rubrail to be certain it is an exact reproduction. They will send me a sample before production begins. I have paid for the design/die so the order is in the works. The order will be placed within the next ten days, so I urge anyone interested to join the group buy soon. The more owners that place an order will bring the price even lower.
 Thanks,
Par
Shenanigans #123

 



--

Aras Grinius