Rudder moving when anchored - Hy-Drive steering

Michael Brusch

Hi guys, I have an Amel Maramu, which has been retrofitted with a hydraulic steering system (Hy-drive) (The original cable steering system was disconnected and left in place). When anchored and when current or waves are present, the rudder seems to move on its own all the way to port, thus knocking the hull right under my bed. Sometimes at night I would go out and bring the steering wheel al the way over to starboard, which gives me a few hours until the rudder is back all the way to port.

My question: Is there a way to keep the rudder from moving independently? I tried fixing the wheel in place, but this does not seem to do anything. I am so frustrated that I am considering going back to cable steering. I have also been thinking of installing a Hydrovane system in which case I want to make sure that the rudder stays centered when sailing.

Thank you for your input :)

Bill Kinney

Michael,

With hydraulic steering, there is usually no way to stop the problem you are experiencing.  Since there is not a "solid" connection from rudder to wheel, even the tiniest amount of leakage of hydraulic fluid slowly resets the relationship between the wheel and the rudder.

In short, with hydraulic steering there is no way to ensure the rudder and wheel stay in a fixed relationship.

You might be able to lock it in place with something using the emergency tiller connection, but this is a bit inconvenient (at best) and a bit of a kludge.

Bill Kinney
SM#160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL

Michael Brusch

Thanks Bill, you answered my question. I have a hydraulic leak and this explains the rudder moving.