Topics

Rudder Post Bonding

Adam Body

Hello: I have just noticed two green wires close to the rudder post in Flora, and I have attached a photo. These two wires have been disconnected and I dont know why or by whom. Does anyone know what their purpose is?
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994

The only person that knows is the person who installed them. They were not installed by Amel.

Trace the wires.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 5:36 PM Adam Body <adamgcbody@...> wrote:
Hello: I have just noticed two green wires close to the rudder post in Flora, and I have attached a photo. These two wires have been disconnected and I dont know why or by whom. Does anyone know what their purpose is?
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Adam. It is highly likely they are the bonding wires that should be attached to the rudder post and through that to the zincs on the rudder, thus providing protection.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 March 2021 at 12:36 Adam Body <adamgcbody@...> wrote:

Hello: I have just noticed two green wires close to the rudder post in Flora, and I have attached a photo. These two wires have been disconnected and I dont know why or by whom. Does anyone know what their purpose is?
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994

eric freedman

It looks like the rudder is already bonded. However I would check the continuity between the loose wires and the rudder bonding. If there is no continuity, then you will have to trace the wires. Your rudder should look something like this photo.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Hi Adam. It is highly likely they are the bonding wires that should be attached to the rudder post and through that to the zincs on the rudder, thus providing protection.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 March 2021 at 12:36 Adam Body <adamgcbody@...> wrote:

Hello: I have just noticed two green wires close to the rudder post in Flora, and I have attached a photo. These two wires have been disconnected and I dont know why or by whom. Does anyone know what their purpose is?
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994

Adam Body

Thanks for all of your ideas. The green and yellow wires are already securely attached to the rudder post and are the main bonding wires. I will check the continuity between these and the green wires. The odd thing is the zince anode on the rudder is not eroding. So when next she is on the hard I should check continuity between the anode and the ruddet post and the green/yellow wires. Could the green wires have something to do with the SSB? I will check .....
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994

Adam,

See the following for continuity checks.

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 2:28 PM Adam Body <adamgcbody@...> wrote:
Thanks for all of your ideas. The green and yellow wires are already securely attached to the rudder post and are the main bonding wires. I will check the continuity between these and the green wires. The odd thing is the zince anode on the rudder is not eroding. So when next she is on the hard I should check continuity between the anode and the ruddet post and the green/yellow wires. Could the green wires have something to do with the SSB? I will check .....
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994

Adam Body

Thanks Bill. The cone zinc anode on the prop is eroding nicely. But the anode on the rudder shows almost no corrosion..I wonder if this is a symptom of a loss of continuity somewhere?
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994

Adam,

Your SM was most likely delivered to the first owner without an anode on the propeller. Read the attached two pages from my Amel Book.

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 8:46 AM Adam Body <adamgcbody@...> wrote:
Thanks Bill. The cone zinc anode on the prop is eroding nicely. But the anode on the rudder shows almost no corrosion..I wonder if this is a symptom of a loss of continuity somewhere?
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994

Adam Body

That makes sense! Thank you Bill. Do you know the place where the wiring for  SSB ground plate (on the skeg) emerges into the hull, and the color of that wire?
--
Adam Body "Flora"   SM128 Annee 1994

eric freedman

On Kimberlite it is in the stern locker starboard side at he back of my shelf.

Fair Winds,

Erics sm376