Running cables between Engine Room and Battery Compartment

Dean Gillies

Hi Brains Trust,
I'm back on board after almost two years!
Starting the install of my new LFP system and I need to run some new cables (Data/signal only) between the batteries and the engine room. I know that this has been a difficult step for others.

I would love to hear some advice on ways to do that. Is there an alternative route to following the DC power cables under the floor level? (Distance of run is not a problem).

If I have to follow the existing DC cable route, any advice on how to do this without damaging existing cables?

Picture of potted DC cables under the floor is attached.

Thanks
Dean Gillies
SV Stella
A54-154

Jamie Wendell

Dean, I faced the same dilemma. The only answer is that you have to break out the epoxy seal and then replace when you are complete.
I saw no other way to route big battery cables but as you show.
Sorry - I wish I could tell you otherwise.
Jamie
Phantom, A54 #44

Dominique Sery

Hello Dean and Jamie, for the data cables between the battery compartment and the engine room, I followed the following path: mounted in the locker above the berth (towards the front), passage in the roof which communicates with the  roof above the staircase, retrieval of the wires above the galley behind the 230 v panel, passage in the cockpit locker (on port side) where there is a board to unscrew, access to the engine room arrives at the  top of the watermaker.  no hole to make.  I passed all of my small section cables by this way.
Dominique
Irko A54#16

Dominique Sery

And i did not change the DC wires. No hole.

Dean Gillies

Dominique,
That's perfect thanks.  Do I need to remove all the ceiling panels in the galley and across to the chart table, or is there a trick?
Thanks
Dean
SV Stella
A54-154

Dean Gillies

Hi Jamie,
I don't need to run DC power cables, so I prefer Dominique's suggested Routing to busting out that epoxy!!
Best regards
Dean
SV Stella
A54-154

Barry Connor

Hi Dean,
A small chisel and hammer, takes a few hours. What you see is what needs to be chiseled away, the tube into the engine room is full of foam. Once you have chiseled away the epoxy you can pull out the foam.
See below photo, have not fully filled back the epoxy.
Best
Barry and Penny
“SV Lady Penelope II”
AMEL 54.  #17
Le Marin Marina
Martinique

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 01:11 AM, Dean Gillies wrote:
Dominique,
That's perfect thanks.  Do I need to remove all the ceiling panels in the galley and across to the chart table, or is there a trick?
Thanks
Dean
SV Stella
A54-154
Hello Dean,
i removed all the ceiling panels but you need to remove only the panels with lights. Under the panels (fixed with Velcro) there is plywood with holes for the lights.
Itis very easy to remove the ceiling panels (no tools), with your fingers. It’s the Amel passage for all the wires between the chart table and the battery locker to the electric panels, the helm and the engine room.
Dominique

Dean Gillies

Barry and Penny,
Wow, those are big cables!
im taking the easy route over the ceiling for my data cables.
best
Dean
SV Stella
A54-154

Dominique,

That is the best way for any cable except the large battery cables. One note you can do is once, inside the cabinet above the galley sink, I believe that you can follow the route of the 220-volt wiring from the main 220-volt panel to the engine room. I think that this may be a little easier.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 7:04 AM Dominique Sery via groups.io <dominiquesery=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Dean and Jamie, for the data cables between the battery compartment and the engine room, I followed the following path: mounted in the locker above the berth (towards the front), passage in the roof which communicates with the  roof above the staircase, retrieval of the wires above the galley behind the 230 v panel, passage in the cockpit locker (on port side) where there is a board to unscrew, access to the engine room arrives at the  top of the watermaker.  no hole to make.  I passed all of my small section cables by this way.
Dominique
Irko A54#16

Arno Luijten

To run the cables from the ceiling to the engine compartment you route them via the cabinet that holds the steering rack. From there there is a hole down into the cavity behind the watermaker panel (for most A54s). So you remove this panel just enough to reach behind it. Next you can route the cables along the same path as where the blue watermaker tube is situated. There is plenty capacity for more cables. I added about a dozen or so.

The most challenging part is behind the ceiling to the cover in the passageway.

You don’t remove all ceiling panels as only a few hide a hole to access the cavity behind it. A tool to pull cables through (?) is usefull.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Dominique Sery

Bill,
Yes, the way is very easy from the galley locker (behind the 230 v panel) to the engine room. You only need to remove a plywood in the cockpit locker (4 screws)
Dominique
A54#16

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Dean Gillies

Hi Brains Trust,
Thank you all for your swift and accurate guidance.
A problem shared and all that.

best regards
Dean
SV Stella