Saloon 9eh Climma Air Conditioner replacement

Eric Freedman

Has anyone replaced the Climma compact 9eh unit in the saloon?

I replaced the aft cabin one with a Dometic, but it will not fit under the seat in the saloon.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Mark Erdos

Hi Eric,

Hope all is well.

As my Climma units die, I have been replacing them with Webasto FCF Platinum units. I am very happy with these. My oldest Webasto unit is 2 years old. The plumbing for seawater is the same size and the units are plug and play. It includes the control panel, so this is an additional savings. The units appear to be well-made.

One of the key selling points for me was the cooling water requirements (GPH). It is much lower than Dometic requirements and as you know the Amel moves the same water through all 3 units, so it is good not to have a finicky unit that will shut down. Also, they are less expensive.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=3050595

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

On 6/6/2022 3:44 PM, Eric Freedman wrote:

Has anyone replaced the Climma compact 9eh unit in the saloon?

I replaced the aft cabin one with a Dometic, but it will not fit under the seat in the saloon.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Arno Luijten

Edited

By now I don’t have any Climma unit anymore. The saloon and aft units are now Frigomar inverter units and the front one was replaced just before I bought the boat by a Webasto.
Functionally the Frigomars are vastly superior. Like with domestic A/C they use variable compressor speeds and are more silent, more energy efficient and have no startup current surge. Full disclosure: the saloon version did break down because of a failing power-supply board. This was replaced under warranty though.
I find the way they operate after initial cool-down much less intrusive then the Climma or the Webasto. As you can expect, they are more expensive. Replacement in the existing space is a bit finicky but doable. The one in the back needs the most work as the saltwater pipes need to be modified with a elbow.
The Webasto is cheap but I don’t like it. It’s noisy and the fan is made out of painted steel, rusting very quickly because of the condensation of the cooled air. It is made very basically and that could mean it is more reliable. But we use the A/C in the back the most and that has worked flawlessly so I’m prepared to believe the failure of the saloon A/C is just bad luck. We have a 10kBTU aft, a 16kBTU in the saloon and a 9kBTU in the front.

Cheers,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121
Currently at the Azores

Eric Freedman

Hi Mark,

Did this unit fit under the saloon seat?

I measure 12 inches this unit seems to be 13 inches high.

[...]

Bill Kinney

We found the height restriction made a it a challenge finding one to fit.   We went with a 9k reverse cycle unit by Mermaid Manufacturing that just fits.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martiniquec

Ian Townsend

We installed a 10K Webasto in that space. Fits fine.

[...]

Yes it fits. It is a very tight fit. I should also tell you I removed the foam and wood Amel had for the Climma unit to sit on. Since the Webasto compressor has a floating mount, this is not needed. You should measure without the wood and foam padding. If you feel the need to dampen the sound, you could use a much thinner rubber pad. I didn't see the need and am happy with the sound level. I think it is comparable to the Climma I replaced.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

On 6/7/2022 9:19 AM, Eric Freedman wrote:

[...]

Dan Carlson

For those that are off-grid/energy conscious, I installed the Webasto FCFP6000 units in the fore and aft cabins. They are very efficient and we have run then a number of times on our 3000w inverter. They cool effectively enough (no not a meat locker cold) but cool and dry. Even the aft cabin on a sunny afternoon. And overnight, once they reach temperature they draw only for the fan, and the water.pumo is only on when the compressor cycles on.

It's good to hear that the 10,000 but unit fits in the main salon. I think that would be more appropriate for that spot.

Regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

[...]

Did you replace the saloon AC unit?