Santorin helm seat support pipe loose

Craig Briggs

The support pipe for my helm seat has become quite loose and wobbly inside the bottom floor structure hole. It rotates and moves back and forth about 2-3mm, but not up and down as it seems there may be a bolt through the pipe inside the the base.

Does anyone know how it is constructed?  I haven't found any Amel drawings showing this.

I could probably just fill the void around the pipe with epoxy, but if I could actually remove it I may rework the entire assembly to allow the seat to rotate 180° and lower to the level of the bench seating for better cockpit room. I am thinking of cutting a hole in the base to gain access but sure would like to know what I'm getting into beforehand. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig - SN68 Sangaris, back at Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Bernd Spanner

mine went suddenly down a while ago. when I remember right there are 4 bolts M8 or 10 holding the seat. you should find the screws under the insulation in the engine room.
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

Ian Park

That is correct. I had to tighten mine up 4 years ago. Just make a cut in the engine room foam and you have access to the inside of the fibreglass seat pyramid.
My seat swivels on its pedestal. It sits on a Felton insert on the s/s tube. I don’t know if this was done originally or later.
Finally after making a full length padded seat back last year in the off season I can report it was a significant improvement to sitting at the helm this season. Well worth the small effort!!

Ian
‘Ocean Hobo’ SN96
UK

Craig Briggs

Thanks Ian and Bernd !
Ian - is there a locking device to stop the swivel?  Can you remove the seat from the insert just by picking it up?
 Also, does your padded seat back slip over the original fiberglass one? Good idea.
--
Craig - SN68 Sangaris

Ian Park

Craig,
Don’t know if other Santorin seat posts are like mine, but here is photo.

The second bolt at the base of the post was put there by me. There was a slight lateral wobble, so I added another bolt. The other single bolt hole had elongated.

Ian

On 4 Nov 2021, at 13:38, Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Thanks Ian and Bernd !
Ian - is there a locking device to stop the swivel?  Can you remove the seat from the insert just by picking it up?
 Also, does your padded seat back slip over the original fiberglass one? Good idea.
--
Craig - SN68 Sangaris

Craig Briggs

Wow - many thanks, Ian!
On my SN the support post is just a single length of pipe with no holes or bolts at the bottom. It just goes straight into the pyramid grp base.
I think our SN's are similar vintage, so it's possible a former owner of your boat may have cut the original post and added the two-piece "sleeve" over it and the two bottom bolts. Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there's a smaller diameter post showing at the bottom, which may be the original Amel one-piece post.
I haven't yet tackled tightening this from the bottom, but the sleeve would be a much easier solution to making the height adjustable, rather than replacing the entire post, as I initially had been thinking. Appreciate your pics.
--
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL