SANTORIN, whats under the bench?

Bernd Spanner

Hello,

I was wondering if it’s worth to open the space under the saloon sofa on the port side to gain extra stowage on my SN. Has anyone done it and can share information?
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

david bruce

Hi Berndt,   We have 2 large cutouts in the board under the portside saloon seat cushion, very useful storage.  Have never thought these were not original but maybe not?
Dave

Dave Bruce
Liesse SN006

On Dec 21, 2021, at 3:30 PM, Bernd Spanner <bernd.spanner@...> wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if it’s worth to open the space under the saloon sofa on the port side to gain extra stowage on my SN. Has anyone done it and can share information?
--
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

Craig Briggs

Hi Berndt,
On my SN, this was done by a prior owner. It gives excellent storage space that we use for items less frequently accessed, like filters and engine spares.

He cut two rectangular openings in the horizontal plywood surface under the cushion. That gives access to two "bins", separated by the original structural vertical piece.
He put a wood support rim around the underside of the cutouts and then put the pieces he cut out back in on top of the rim. You may want to do a more "Amel-like" finish, but that's the basics.
An excellent change that I would recommend.

Btw, he did the same on the starboard side in the forward cabin, the settee, and the aft cabin, even though those compartments already have access from the side. It does make it somewhat easier to access those compartments, although certainly not necessary. Let me know if you'd like some measurements, although I think you may be able see the location of the vertical piece from the screws on the horizontal seat base.

Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL