Topics

Scuba compressor recommendations

Arlo

hello all, I plan to install a SCUBA compressor to fill the tanks and it will run using my 5.5 kw genset. Looking for recommendations on makes and model from those that have them onboard.

Porter McRoberts

We bought a used Bauer Junior II. 230/50hz. Wired it directly to the breaker board.  We keep it in the port side cockpit lazarette and run it in the cockpit. The coolest, shadiest most well ventilated spot.  They last forever, and are built to be used commercially filling tanks all day every day.
It’s heavy, but bulletproof, filters are actually getting cheaper with time and easily found. Very minimal maintenance, and easy to use.
Many put them in the ER. We simply have no room down there.

Pretty amazing to dive in the most out of way places. West coast of Ua-Pou. Palmerston. Hapai group Tonga. This am White valley in Tahiti: went yesterday, probably one of the best dives of my life, but easy to get your tank filled in Tahiti!  Best of luck!

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Sep 10, 2020, at 6:18 AM, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

hello all, I plan to install a SCUBA compressor to fill the tanks and it will run using my 5.5 kw genset. Looking for recommendations on makes and model from those that have them onboard.

Scott SV Tengah

I also have the Junior 2, electric and mounted in the cockpit locker. Great little compressor and runs off our 5kw inverter just fine.

Tip: run it at night - with lower temperatures, the filter should last longer.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Alexandre Uster von Baar

On Thursday, September 10, 2020, 11:18:47 AM CDT, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

hello all, I plan to install a SCUBA compressor to fill the tanks and it will run using my 5.5 kw genset. Looking for recommendations on makes and model from those that have them onboard.

Stefan Jeukendrup

Hi Arlo,

Bauer PE100 on Onan MDKAL 50Hz 220V

Best regards,

Stefan Jeukendrup
sv Malaka Queen
SM2k  #348 @Turkey

Arlo

Thank you! all good to know. anything I should be aware of to check if I buy a used system?

Arlo

thanks Scott! Great tip...I plan to install a blower fan as well on it to help keep it cool...

Arlo

thanks for the details. Why did they put it on a track?

Scott SV Tengah

I do something similar but it's just a Ryobi portable fan that I direct at the compressor when I'm filling tanks. Bauer techs told me that it will extend the life of the compressor and the filters. Your blower fan will certainly work better.

One other idea is to take a long hose and bring fresh air into the intake. This is something gasoline powered compressors have to do but we do it also because our cockpit locker also stores chemicals that I prefer not to breathe underwater (or above water, for that matter!).

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69