Topics

Sea Chest

Mark Erdos

I am looking for some ideas to redo the sea chest. I am pretty sure the unit I have is not factory since an additional water maker was added by the previous owner. Also, my current unit is polypropylene pipe and I have read about corrosion being an issue on other Amels. So, I have no idea how Amel originally designed this.

Coming off the Vetus strainer, I have independent direct connections to the generator and engine. The third goes to a one-way flow valve, a shut-off valve and then to a pipe with outlets for air conditioning, heads/anchor wash, water maker one, and water maker two. There are no independent shut-off valves for each of these four outlets.

I am wondering if anyone has tackled this project and can give me some pointers regarding design and placement.

I would like something that is easy to clean and has individual valves for each outlet. Thoughts?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Mark,

Below will help you understand what Amel originally did on your SM:
image.png

This will help you understand generally what Amel does today with PVC manifolds and some other ideas for you:
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 12:44 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,

Thanks. I do like the manifold made in Martinique. The only thing I would do differently is instead of the 90° elbow at the end, I would have a removable cap to enable access to the main pipe section for cleaning.

Question: Did Amel install a one-way flow valve in this section coming off the vetus strainer? I have one and it seems logical as I would not want water being sucked out of the AC system etc by the engine or generator.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

[...]

No, they did not, but I agree that it would be a good idea

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 2:11 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

I give up. Where does one buy a plastic 1¼” male pipe thread to a 35mm hose barb?

[...]

Thomas Kleman

Mark- you might go with 1-3/8 for the 35mm side and try US Plastics.

Mark Erdos

Thanks Tom. I send them a note seems I can’t find it on their site.

I have also check the Banjo catalog and McMaster. Not much luck.