Topics

Sea Chest

Mark Erdos

I am looking for some ideas to redo the sea chest. I am pretty sure the unit I have is not factory since an additional water maker was added by the previous owner. Also, my current unit is polypropylene pipe and I have read about corrosion being an issue on other Amels. So, I have no idea how Amel originally designed this.

Coming off the Vetus strainer, I have independent direct connections to the generator and engine. The third goes to a one-way flow valve, a shut-off valve and then to a pipe with outlets for air conditioning, heads/anchor wash, water maker one, and water maker two. There are no independent shut-off valves for each of these four outlets.

I am wondering if anyone has tackled this project and can give me some pointers regarding design and placement.

I would like something that is easy to clean and has individual valves for each outlet. Thoughts?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

Mark,

Below will help you understand what Amel originally did on your SM:
image.png

This will help you understand generally what Amel does today with PVC manifolds and some other ideas for you:
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 12:44 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

I am looking for some ideas to redo the sea chest. I am pretty sure the unit I have is not factory since an additional water maker was added by the previous owner. Also, my current unit is polypropylene pipe and I have read about corrosion being an issue on other Amels. So, I have no idea how Amel originally designed this.

Coming off the Vetus strainer, I have independent direct connections to the generator and engine. The third goes to a one-way flow valve, a shut-off valve and then to a pipe with outlets for air conditioning, heads/anchor wash, water maker one, and water maker two. There are no independent shut-off valves for each of these four outlets.

I am wondering if anyone has tackled this project and can give me some pointers regarding design and placement.

I would like something that is easy to clean and has individual valves for each outlet. Thoughts?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Mark Erdos

Hi Bill,

Thanks. I do like the manifold made in Martinique. The only thing I would do differently is instead of the 90° elbow at the end, I would have a removable cap to enable access to the main pipe section for cleaning.

Question: Did Amel install a one-way flow valve in this section coming off the vetus strainer? I have one and it seems logical as I would not want water being sucked out of the AC system etc by the engine or generator.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Wednesday, October 7, 2020 8:00 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Sea Chest

Mark,

image.png

This will help you understand generally what Amel does today with PVC manifolds and some other ideas for you:

image.png

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

No, they did not, but I agree that it would be a good idea

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 2:11 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

Thanks. I do like the manifold made in Martinique. The only thing I would do differently is instead of the 90° elbow at the end, I would have a removable cap to enable access to the main pipe section for cleaning.

Question: Did Amel install a one-way flow valve in this section coming off the vetus strainer? I have one and it seems logical as I would not want water being sucked out of the AC system etc by the engine or generator.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse

Mark,

image.png

image.png

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Mark Erdos

I give up. Where does one buy a plastic 1¼” male pipe thread to a 35mm hose barb?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Mark,

image.png

image.png

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Thomas Kleman

Mark- you might go with 1-3/8 for the 35mm side and try US Plastics. 

Mark Erdos

Thanks Tom. I send them a note seems I can’t find it on their site.

I have also check the Banjo catalog and McMaster. Not much luck.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Thomas Kleman
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2020 9:45 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

Mark Erdos

I heard back from US Plastics. This fitting is not one they make. Also, not available from Banjo or McMaster.  I am at a complete loss for this fitting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Plastic 1¼” male pipe thread to a 35mm ( or, 1 3/8”)  hose barb

image.png

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Erdos via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 6:00 AM

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Thomas Kleman

Thomas Kleman

Hey Mark, we seem to be working on the same project. My sea water manifold is corroded and I'm building a new one. 10 years ago I changed out the original Amel ball valve for one made of Marelon. At that time, I used the Amel fitting (1-1/4 threaded to 35 mm barbed). I'm now replacing everything to the left of that (which is the corroded copper fitting) and building it out of plastic components. Wondering if you can also salvage it (the Amel fitting) from your boat to save you this search.....the other option is to replace the ball valve with one of a size that fits a 1-3/8 barbed end......good luck. One bit of wisdom I've found. 1-3/8 hose is more common as a wet exhaust size than bilge/water so couplers might be found best by looking backwards with that in mind.

Thomas Kleman
SV L'ORIENT
SM 2K 422
Oahu

Mark Erdos

Hi Tom,

I am in the process of ordering the part to make the manifold similar to the one Bill showed in Amel-Martinique.

My concern is, the impossible to find hose barb is in very tight. If I damage it when removing, I’m in a tough spot. At some point the manifold has to connect to the strainer. I am having difficulty finding any hose barb either 35mm or 1 3/8”.

I have a note into Amel to see if they have one. A bit of a long shot but I’m out of options.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 8:43 AM

Hey Mark, we seem to be working on the same project. My sea water manifold is corroded and I'm building a new one. 10 years ago I changed out the original Amel ball valve for one made of Marelon. At that time, I used the Amel fitting (1-1/4 threaded to 35 mm barbed). I'm now replacing everything to the left of that (which is the corroded copper fitting) and building it out of plastic components. Wondering if you can also salvage it (the Amel fitting) from your boat to save you this search.....the other option is to replace the ball valve with one of a size that fits a 1-3/8 barbed end......good luck. One bit of wisdom I've found. 1-3/8 hose is more common as a wet exhaust size than bilge/water so couplers might be found best by looking backwards with that in mind.

Thomas Kleman
SV L'ORIENT
SM 2K 422
Oahu

Doug Smith

Could you take an appropriate sized plastic pipe fitting to a plumbing or machine shop and have them cut the threads into the plastic?

Thanks, Doug Smith

Amel 54-113, Aventura
Deltaville, VA USA
Dugsmith98@...

On Oct 12, 2020, at 2:09 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

I heard back from US Plastics. This fitting is not one they make. Also, not available from Banjo or McMaster.  I am at a complete loss for this fitting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<image001.png>

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Erdos via groups.io

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Porter McRoberts

This is the kind of project I would not undertake unless within walking distance to a great chandlery ripe with plumbing options. My adventure down this rabbit hole was complicated even with one close. 
Mark if you get in a bind I have a extra stainless manifold. 

Porter

Porter McRoberts 
S/V IBIS A54-152, Moorea
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Oct 12, 2020, at 9:18 AM, Doug Smith via groups.io <dugsmith98@...> wrote:

Could you take an appropriate sized plastic pipe fitting to a plumbing or machine shop and have them cut the threads into the plastic?

Thanks, Doug Smith

Amel 54-113, Aventura
Deltaville, VA USA
Dugsmith98@...

<image001.png>

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Mark Erdos

Porter,

Thanks for that very kind safety net offer.

I think I have this figured out. I am going to use a 1-1/2” hose barb and sand down the edges of the barb. I should then be able to warm the hose enough to get it over the fitting. We are only taking 3mm here so 1.5mm all around should do the trick.

I just place my order at McMaster for the entire assembly. Fingers crossed.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Porter McRoberts via groups.io
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2020 9:40 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

This is the kind of project I would not undertake unless within walking distance to a great chandlery ripe with plumbing options. My adventure down this rabbit hole was complicated even with one close. 

Mark if you get in a bind I have a extra stainless manifold. 

Porter

Porter McRoberts 

S/V IBIS A54-152, Moorea

WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206

Www.fouribis.net

On Oct 12, 2020, at 9:18 AM, Doug Smith via groups.io <dugsmith98@...> wrote:

Thanks, Doug Smith

Amel 54-113, Aventura

Deltaville, VA USA

Dugsmith98@...

<image001.png>

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Karen Smith

Must be an epidemic of manifold rebuilds!  We are in the process of redoing ours. While I LOVE the idea of a seachest, the original Amel implementation on our Super Maramu (#160) always bothered me a bit since there were no valves other than the main seacock.  The ability to isolate the individual circuits either in an emergency or for routine maintenance while in the water always seemed an oversight.

A crusty old sailor who has surely forgotten more about boats than I'll ever know had a strong opinion about raw water systems.  You should be able to hit it with a 5 pound sledge, or stand on it with your full weight, or hit it with a torch, and not worry about it ever breaking or leaking.  Feeling that was a pretty good approach, I have always looked askance on any raw water system made of PVC parts which tend to be brittle and fragile to external impact.  Marelon is strong and resilient. PVC--not so much.  Also, PVC is very susceptible to the heat of even a small fire.  Even if the fire gets extinguished, you could lose your boat from flooding due to melted plastic plumbing.  

We installed a system made of solid bronze pipe fittings. Certainly more expensive than plastic, but much, much stronger. You get what you pay for.

The engine is fed directly with a connection directly off the strainer, and a tee with a reenforced 1 1/4" hose carries water over to the "pump pad".

If you are changing your manifold, whatever material your chose, be sure that the piping runs DOWNHILL continuously to any centrifugal pump.  ANY place that air can get trapped will result in difficulty of the pumps priming.  I have always used check valves on the discharge of each AC pump since these centrifugal pumps offer no resistance to back flow and would allow air to be pulled back into the system. The engine, generator, and RO system are all positive displacement pumps (more or less!) that offer significant resistance to reverse flow and do not need separate check valves.

In most cases, I have found that 35mm and 1.25 inch hose and hose fittings are pretty much interchangeable.

Bill Kinney (and Karen Smith)
Annapolis, MD, USA
Harmonie, SM#160
http://fetchinketch.net

Thomas Kleman

Hey Bill- great pics of your tidy work with your sea chest. By hull #422 (our boat) Amel was installing a ball valve ahead of the 5 port manifold. You could be running the engine or genset and cut off raw water to the AC, anchor wash, heads, and watermaker (only as a group). I've been going back and forth on adding 5 ball valves as in 10 years of ownership and work on each pump using sea water, it's never been a huge need to isolate a port in this way. Maybe a bit less cleanup but no big deal.

On the material used for the manifold, obviously I'm looking for strength.. although anyone swinging a 5 lb hammer in the engine room is usually asked to leave....not sure how much weight I attach to bronze's fire retardant properties as when you look around the engine room at all the plastic (ie sea chest itself) and hosing it's hard to imagine a fire where your bronze fitting saved your boat. Maybe if your AC pump capacitor underneath it went Chernobyl ?

These posts are so incredibly valuable to me. Great to see people's approaches, problems, and choices......definitely copying some of yours. Thanks.

Thomas Kleman
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Oahu

Chris Doucette

Bill, 

I am looking at doing this same project. The elbow out of the sea strainer, what challenges did you encounter with it and what size Nipple did you get to fit into there.. If you also had a size / part breakdown of the two manifold sections you made it would be a fantastic time saver!

Chris