Seacock for aft head

Patrick McAneny

I need to replace my seacock in the aft head ,could someone confirm the size I need ,I believe it to be 1 1/4" NPT , but not sure and I want to purchase it prior to taking the old one out ,as my boat is in the water.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans #123
Sassafras River, Md.

Mark Erdos

Pat,

Not NPT.  It is 1 ¼” BSP

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2021 3:36 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Seacock for aft head

I need to replace my seacock in the aft head ,could someone confirm the size I need ,I believe it to be 1 1/4" NPT , but not sure and I want to purchase it prior to taking the old one out ,as my boat is in the water.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans #123
Sassafras River, Md.

Patrick McAneny

Mark, I thought it may not be NPT,that is why I asked.
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat, Jul 24, 2021 1:42 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Seacock for aft head

Pat,

Not NPT.  It is 1 ¼” BSP

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper
www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2021 3:36 AM
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Seacock for aft head

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans #123
Sassafras River, Md.

Mark & Debbie Mueller

Take a look at the Groco valve, I used this valve.  It has a grease zerk to keep the valve operating smoothly.  https://www.groco.net/products/valves-seacocks/inline-valves/ibv-series-bspp-thread
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Dan Carlson

Here is what I purchase and replaced the forward head seacock with.

Best regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021, 9:35 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans #123
Sassafras River, Md.

Mark let me know about this valve with a grease fitting about 2 years ago. Since then I have recommended it.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021, 10:40 AM Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:
Take a look at the Groco valve, I used this valve.  It has a grease zerk to keep the valve operating smoothly.  https://www.groco.net/products/valves-seacocks/inline-valves/ibv-series-bspp-thread
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Patrick McAneny

Bill, Mark, I like the idea of a grease fitting , I am contacting the dealer Monday . 
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Jul 25, 2021 1:12 pm

Mark let me know about this valve with a grease fitting about 2 years ago. Since then I have recommended it.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021, 10:40 AM Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Patrick McAneny

Mark ,I was thinking I wanted a valve with BSP threads , Groco has a BSPP thread. Is that what you bought and is what I need? I am not sure exactly the difference ,both are straight thread .
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Sun, Jul 25, 2021 11:40 am

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Pat,

I believe that the BSPP thread and the BSPT thread are both BSP (British Standard Pipe) threads. The BSPT is tapered, which you do not have

I believe that you will need pipe thread sealant and the Groco BSPP will work perfectly for you.

image.png
Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 8:20 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Mark ,I was thinking I wanted a valve with BSP threads , Groco has a BSPP thread. Is that what you bought and is what I need? I am not sure exactly the difference ,both are straight thread .
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Mark Erdos

Hi Pat,

There are two types of BSP threads;

- BSPP - Female & male thread are both parallel (also known as G)

- BSPT - Female thread is parallel and the male thread is tapered

Since the ball valve is female on both ends it might be labeled as BSPP or just BSP.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 3:20 AM

Thanks,

Pat

SM Shenanigans

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Patrick McAneny

Bill, Mark, I appreciate the confirmation ,I will go ahead and order the BSPP seacock.
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Jul 26, 2021 10:04 am

Pat,

I believe that the BSPP thread and the BSPT thread are both BSP (British Standard Pipe) threads. The BSPT is tapered, which you do not have

I believe that you will need pipe thread sealant and the Groco BSPP will work perfectly for you.

image.png
Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 8:20 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Mark McGovern

Edited

Pat,

The information Bill, Mark, and Dan provided you is correct.  I just replaced the ball valve in my forward head with the Groco part number IBV-1250BSPP.  Because it is a straight thread you will need to use a thread sealant to both seal the threads and to fix the ball valve in a position where you can access and turn the handle.  I used Loctite 592 Thread Sealant which has worked out well so far.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Patrick McAneny

Mark, I ordered that valve yesterday from  Fawcetts in Annapolis , I will pick up some Locktite 592.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sent: Mon, Jul 26, 2021 10:19 pm

Pat,

The information Bill, Mark, and Dan provided you is correct.  I just replace the ball valve in my forward head with the Groco part number IBV-1250BSPP.  Because it is a straight thread you will need to use a thread sealant to both seal the threads and to fix the ball valve in a position where you can access and turn the handle.  I used Loctite 592 Thread Sealant which has worked out well so far.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA