Topics

SEAFLO Marine Air Conditioning Seawater Circulation AC Pump 500GPH 220V eBay

ngtnewington Newington

Has anyone tried this Seaflo air con circulating pump?

It is the magnetic type, so no risk of leaks.
My existing one is a big beast and still works but a bit fragile now.
According to the labels on the Units I need 3 x 9 litres per minute. So 27 which is less than this one..

Arno Luijten

Interesting find. This is their website http://www.seaflo.com/en-us/product/detail/3160.html
Seems happy with both 50 and 60 Hertz and is even submersible.

However the specs seem to pose a problem for most Amels (see first line below):

- For use with AC system up to 12,000 BTU.
- More than 10,000 hours lifetime.
- 8.5GPM seawater circulation pump.

- Run dry safe for normal workloads.

- Continuous duty.
- Replace any brand marine air conditioning pump.

Amels typically have around 30k BTU (about 9kW of cooling power)  aircon (three units combined).
The flow rate suggests that the output resistance may be the problem. Output resistance can be seen a the height (head) the water needs to be elevated after the pump.

Looking at details you can see the Seaflow does approx. 36 lpm at zero head and 4 lpm at 6 meter head.
Calpeda does 80 lpm at 9 meter head and 25 lpm at 12 meter head
The latter also uses twice the electrical power.

So my guess is that the pump lacks the power to push enough water trough the pipes. I did the same exercise some time ago with March pumps and found the same problem.

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Arno,

Yes I am inclined to agree with you especially in terms of  BTU I have two 8000 and one 10000 which comes to 26000BTU. Which is more than the 24000 the pump claims as it’s capacity.

However on the sticker placed on the units they all require 9 litres per hour. When actually they will get 31-35 litres per hour but the last aircon in the circuit will have warmer water as the coolers are one circuit in series.

I was wondering if anyone had tried this pump out, as although not expensive and maybe worth a try it could be a bit of a waste of time..

Nick

Amelia (stores ashore in Leros)

 AML 54-019

On 15 Sep 2020, at 16:23, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

[...]

Actually they claim only 12000 BTU (see website). Forget about the 35 lpm capacity. The resistance in the circuit is substantial. My guess would be more close to 10 lpm.

Arno

ngtnewington Newington

Arno there are two models. The 250 GPH and the 500GPH. I think the 500 will do 24000 BTU

Nick

On 15 Sep 2020, at 17:46, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Actually they claim only 12000 BTU (see website). Forget about the 35 lpm capacity. The resistance in the circuit is substantial. My guess would be more close to 10 lpm.

Arno

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Arno,

On the Dormaire website they say the 500 GPH SEAFLO model is suitable for 24000 BTU.

However seeing as I have 26000 BTU I think on balance I will forget it.

The Dormaire website also has a 650GPH magnetic pump suitable for systems up to 30000BTU priced at 220 euros. That could be an option.

My Gianeshi pump is beginning to dribble salt water at the shaft seal. I have a spare seal kit but last time I took it apart the bronze vanes were a bit fragile, so I left it with the intention of replacing it with new.

This is really not an urgent project as the dribble merely wets a sponge, but it is salt water and it will not get better on its own.

Kind regards

Nick

On 15 Sep 2020, at 17:47, ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Arno there are two models. The 250 GPH and the 500GPH. I think the 500 will do 24000 BTU

Nick
On 15 Sep 2020, at 17:46, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Actually they claim only 12000 BTU (see website). Forget about the 35 lpm capacity. The resistance in the circuit is substantial. My guess would be more close to 10 lpm.

Arno

ngtnewington Newington

Sorry Arno,

You mentioned that you have a  Calpeda pump..

Do you know which model it is?

Kind regards

Nick

On 15 Sep 2020, at 18:05, ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

Arnold Mente

My pumps March LC 3CP MD and LC 2CP MD are gone down this summer on my SM. I will replace them with a SEAFLO 220 VOLT Marine Air Conditioning Pump 500GPH and 250GPH.
The price is 1/4 from March factory price, so it is no risk to test them!!

Arnold
SY Zephyr
SM 203

--
Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203

Arno Luijten

Hi Nick,

The original pump in our boat was an Calpeda pump (M67270U). That one was leaking badly so I replaced it with a M67270J: https://penguinfrigo.co.uk/product/m67270-sea-water-pump-50-l-m-at-10m-head-ac-capacity-60000-btu/
That is the same pump but then specified for both 50 and 60Hz. The article numbers are from Veco/Climma. Calpeda calls the pump BCM-20A.

Cheers,

Arno

When you are doing your calculations, don't forget the ACs are in series. This requires up to 50% more flow. Calpeda no longer offers a BCM20/E, they currently offer a Calpeda BCM22/1/A-R and it is 50/60Hz. It moves 1,700GPH. It is currently in stock at Caraibes Refrigeration in Martinique. This is the pump I recommend above all others.
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 3:03 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Hi Nick,

The original pump in our boat was an Calpeda pump (M67270U). That one was leaking badly so I replaced it with a M67270J: https://penguinfrigo.co.uk/product/m67270-sea-water-pump-50-l-m-at-10m-head-ac-capacity-60000-btu/
That is the same pump but then specified for both 50 and 60Hz. The article numbers are from Veco/Climma. Calpeda calls the pump BCM-20A.

Cheers,

Arno

Mark Erdos

Gotta love Ali-Express – Only $180!

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000116905213.html

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Mark Erdos

I replace the Caleda pump about 5 years ago based on a recommendation by Coastal Climate Control (the US Climma distributor). This is the pump I have:

https://www.marchpump.com/pump/te-5-5c-md-13-phase-mag-drive-pump/

march-pump-te-5.5c-md-900x1007.jpg

It is rated at 1620 GPH 50htz and 1800 GPH 60htz, ample to run all three ACunits in series.

The cost of the pump is about US$600. They are sold all over the world as are replacement parts. I prefer this design over the Calpeda because it doesn’t have the expensive bronze impeller and there is no metal in contact with sea-water. The March pump has a magnetic drive and plastic (polypropylene) head.  However, the pump hasn’t fared well and the exterior screws on the pump end (not the impeller housing) have rusted a little bit as did the capacitor cover (since changed on the newer models). I have to treat the pump with some Corrosion X periodically. This seems to work well. Perhaps the newer ones are more engine-room compatible.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Alan Leslie

Our Calpeda died and we replaced it with the March AC-5C-MD, after assessing the flow requirements.
good thing is that now we don't have the Amel bonding connection connected to the AC ground anymore, AND no more screwdriver poking to get the pump to run (always thought that was a bit out there)
The pump works fine and I agree with Mark, the bolts and the casing on the motor are corroding, but I think a regular cleanup and Corrosion X is the way to deal with it.
We don;t use the A/C that much anyway and rarely with the 3 units all at the same time.
We replaced our aft cabin Climma A/C (it had leaks and electrical faults and wasn't considered worth trying to repair) with a Mermaid reverse cycle unit which works really well and has a remote control that allows temperature setting in both heating and cooling modes, like a home A/C.
Just wish I could get to Elyse to appreciate it !

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437 .... stuck in Opua, NZ .....me, stuck in Australia !