Searching for outdoor, motion activated 24V LED light for stern arch

Scott SV Tengah

Hey Amelians,

I figure someone has found/installed a motion-activated 24v LED light. We would like to have it there so that when we dinghy back at night and hop on the swim step, the light comes on for say, 30 seconds. That's the primary use but, of course, it would function as a security light, too.

A few more features I'd love to have:

- IP68 waterproof or better
- Mounts easily on 2 inch / 5cm stainless tubing
- Wide enough sensor coverage so the light will come on if you step anywhere on the stern. But not so sensitive that waves trigger it.
- 24v as I have that wiring in place, already. Solar would be ok, too.
- Only comes on if it detects motion at night.

Anyone find/install anything that meets these requirements?

Thanks!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Robert Giroux <rg@...>

I think this meets most requirements, it’s for RV/boats:

OZ-USA Exterior Interior LED Porch Light Fixutre (5 inch-Touch Switch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHBFF6Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5B8BF4YKC74XS0WEN68D?psc=1

Regards,

Robert Giroux

(202)262-5828

On Mar 21, 2021, at 9:35 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

[...]

Oops, sent wrong item.  5" Motion Sensor RV LED Porch Light Fixture Security Marine Boat Utility 12v 24v Motorhome Camper Van auto Semi Truck Travel Trailer Bed Overland Water Proof Heavy Duty Interior Exterior https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07685N5WR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8VMKEG9EQNQYVJYX6CZH?psc=1

Regards,

Robert Giroux

(202)262-5828

On Mar 21, 2021, at 10:20 AM, Robert Giroux <rg@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert,

Have you tried this light? Seems the sensor only works if you put your hand right in front of it. In other words, it wouldn't detect someone climbing on your transom.

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 3:22 PM Robert Giroux <rg@...> wrote:
[...]

I’ll let you know, I’ve ordered one.

Regards,

Robert Giroux

(202)262-5828

[...]

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Scott,

Michelle and I will be doing something similar in the near future.  In addition, I would like to add the ability to turn on the mizzen light on command as well, upon return to the boat.

We are looking at moving to a digital switch to perform both functions.  With the digital switch we can use any marine light we want, and use a remote (key fob, garage door opener, etc) to carried with us on the dinghy.  Simple tap into switched 12/24V, a little programming of the relay, and routing to device.

I think it cleaner than dealing with motion sensors on a moving vessel.

Matt

Scott SV Tengah

Matt,

My understanding was that passive infrared sensors, the type normally used, detect heat emitted by humans/animals, not motion. Some of them have sensitivity adjustments too, just haven't been able to find a 24v one! The human detection part is to detect both us and unwelcome guests. :)

Your solution could work if you don't need the unwelcome guest detection. Make sure it's well sealed against the elements and won't go crazy with all the interference on a boat. Our Simpson davits came with a remote controller and the receiving unit would sometimes randomly lift or lower the dinghy.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Scott,

I am still building my marine experience, so you are far ahead of me.  From a terra-firma perspective, motion sensors are used for their greater range verses IR sensors.  IR sensors tend to get pretty expensive to pick-up a person/animal in a large back yard in the US.

I like your security idea, and by no means was intending to insinuate you eliminate that option.  My thought process was that a 4-6 output IP68 digital switch (~$200) would give you many options to do both with flexibility and ease of install/maintenance.

For example, you could use the digital switch to:
1. Turn the light on manually with a simple wifi gateway and your cellphone (tender arrival) or some external device (i.e. FOB)
2. Turn the light on with a motion/IR sensor as a first alert sensor when on the boat (when you are on the boat)
3. Turn the light on when unwelcome guests board, but also send you a cellphone alert if the companionway hatch is opened (when you are away form the boat)
4. Send a cellphone alert if your bilge is running at a set 'excessive' rate

Maybe more than you want to take on, just what I have been noodling lately as an option for Talia.

Matt
SM#209 - Talia

Ian Townsend

We have a motion activated solar light on the arch. It works well. However, the motion sensor is sensitive. You must ensure there is nothing back there to constantly trip the sensor. If you keep your dinghy in the water overnight then the sensor can be activated by the dinghy itself or the davit lines.

Ian & Margaret
Loca Lola II
SM153

[...]

Could you send a pic or the model number?

Have you ever considered angling it or putting tape on the sensor so that it only covers the transom forward?

My understanding is that PIR sensors don't detect just motion, but rather detect infrared heat, so I'm surprised it picks up a dinghy at night!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_infrared_sensor
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Scott SV Tengah

Matt,

As it relates to this, seems you're light years ahead of me!

I don't need a wide nor a long range, in fact, I want it to only cover the transom area or perhaps the lazarette area. The Digital switch sounds fantastic! If you figure it out and find a way to implement it, please let us know.

I know it would add to cost and likelihood that it will fail, but it'd be great if you could do it without running control wires. Perhaps a bluetooth/wifi activated relay to switch on the lights?

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69