Secondary Saltwater Manifold SMs & 54s, and possibly some Santorins, Mangos, and Maramus

Most SM & 54 owners are aware that sooner or later they will need to replace the Secondary Saltwater Manifold which was made by Amel from copper pipe.
Here is a view of the original SM Secondary Saltwater Manifold:
image.png

There have been some very good after-market stainless steel manifolds produced by various sources including the one below made by Emek Marine for around 1,000 euro. The one below was installed on BeBe SM 387.
image.png

I have taken on the project to find the best replacement for this manifold. Many of you are aware that Amel has switched to a PVC manifold for saltwater distribution and eliminated both the Primary and Secondary Saltwater Manifolds that are common in SMs and 54s. The supplier to Amel is SOFOMARIN, France. I have been working with SOFOMARIN to design a suitable replacement for the Secondary Saltwater Manifold in SMs & 54s. What is shown below is 60cm wide and will fit all of the SM hoses and will work on the 54 by keeping one of the far left outlets closed and capped. All of the hose barb connectors included are an exact match to the original hoses used in SMs and 54s. If you are not in Europe, the 35mm hose barb on the right side is virtually impossible to find.
image.png

The above PVC manifold will cost around 350 euros from SOFOMARIN in France. Before I take this to the next level, I would like to see how much interest we have in this group. If any owner has the original copper Secondary Manifold, I believe you should consider this replacement.

Please reply with "interested" if you are interested.

Thanks,

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

Courtney Gorman

yes

[...]

Martin Birkhoff

Hi Bill,

interested - your topic shows up just in time. Few days ago I started collecting ideas how to design a spare manifold.
Thanks

Martin
SV Mago del Sur - 54#40

Slavko Despotovic

Hello Bill,

interested.

regards,
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

eric freedman

Interested.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Image removed by sender.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

View My Training Calendar

Image removed by sender.

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Bill;

Thanks for your ongoing involvement and time spent improving our Amels.

Interested.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

[...]

Doug Smith

Interested

Thanks, Doug Smith

Amel 54-113, Aventura
Patuxant River MD, USA
Dugsmith98@...

Most SM & 54 owners are aware that sooner or later they will need to replace the Secondary Saltwater Manifold which was made by Amel from copper pipe.

Here is a view of the original SM Secondary Saltwater Manifold:

<image001.png>

There have been some very good after-market stainless steel manifolds produced by various sources including the one below made by Emek Marine for around 1,000 euro. The one below was installed on BeBe SM 387.

<image002.png>

I have taken on the project to find the best replacement for this manifold. Many of you are aware that Amel has switched to a PVC manifold for saltwater distribution and eliminated both the Primary and Secondary Saltwater Manifolds that are common in SMs and 54s. The supplier to Amel is SOFOMARIN, France. I have been working with SOFOMARIN to design a suitable replacement for the Secondary Saltwater Manifold in SMs & 54s. What is shown below is 60cm wide and will fit all of the SM hoses and will work on the 54 by keeping one of the far left outlets closed and capped. All of the hose barb connectors included are an exact match to the original hoses used in SMs and 54s. If you are not in Europe, the 35mm hose barb on the right side is virtually impossible to find.

<image003.png>

The above PVC manifold will cost around 350 euros from SOFOMARIN in France. Before I take this to the next level, I would like to see how much interest we have in this group. If any owner has the original copper Secondary Manifold, I believe you should consider this replacement.

Please reply with "interested" if you are interested.

Thanks,

Bill

<image004.jpg>

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

Dean Gillies

Interested.

Dean,
SV Stella A54-154

Stefan and Anne Deerberg

Hi together!

Interested!

All the best

Stefan and Anne Deerberg
SV OYA
SM 373, Le Marin, Martinique

Mobil: +49 172 7757444
stefan.deerberg@...
www.deerberg.de

Nick Fowle <nhfowle@...>

Yes please

Teun BAAS

Interested

Best Regards Teun

December 8, 2020 17:21:51

[...]

Arno Luijten

Hi Bill,

I’m interested as well (SV Luna A54-121). Can they also offer an alternative for the Primary manifold?

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno,

That will be my next project.

For some unknown reason, my experience is that the 54 primary manifold, even though technically the same as the SM, seems to fail before the SM.  I think it has something to do with the threaded section of that part. It seems to oxidize like mild steel. Since I am not aboard a SM or 54, I am not able to make a comparrison of the two. Also, I am not sure why Amel turned the output of the sea chest to the starboard side of the sea chest on the 54. The output of the sea on the SM is on the port side of the sea chest, as well as most of the things connected.

I am getting ahead of myself, but it would be great if the same PVC replacement for the primary saltwater manifold could be used on both the SM & 54 by turning the sea chest on the 54 about 180 degrees.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020, 6:29 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,

I’m interested as well (SV Luna A54-121). Can they also offer an alternative for the Primary manifold?

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hi Bill and all Ameliens,

Thanks so much for this very special support and initiative, to improve and maintain our beloved boats.

Thanks for offer, Yes please, i´m interested too.

Merry Christmas to all, a happy and hopefully almost health New Year. Wherever you currently stay and sail.
we will see us again, like Martin and Giorgo…

Stay safe. Thanks for all your incomparable ideas and support.

Best wishes from cold drizzling snowy Germany.
Fair winds and a hand of whisky in the bilge.

Ulrich
„Soleil Bleu“
A54 #088
Leros / Greece

<>

karkauai

I'm interested.
I have three outputs on the manifold, Yanmar, Onan, and AC. The heads each have separate through hulls.
Kent
SM 243 ,
Kristy

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Kent,

As it stands now, the manifold is planned to be produced in the SM 2000 configuration. I am also planning that it be shipped with 2 plugs.
For pre-SM2k both of the portside valves would be turned off and/or plugged by the owner
For Amel 54 one of the portside valves would be turned off and/or plugged by the owner

The next step is a trial installation. An A-54 owner has agreed to purchase the first production manifold and install it.

As soon as I know more, I will post in the Group and on Facebook

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 8:12 AM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm interested.
I have three outputs on the manifold, Yanmar, Onan, and AC. The heads each have separate through hulls.
Kent
SM 243 ,
Kristy

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Pietro Zaccari

Thank you Bill,
we will be interested let us know when the replacement will be available!
 Ciao

Licia e Pietro
Bolero SM#364

Inviato da iPad

Il giorno 8 dic 2020, alle ore 17:10, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> ha scritto:

[...]

Stephen Davis

Interested...Thanks for your efforts on this project!
Steve
Aloha SM72

Teun BAAS

Hi Bill,

This is also of interest to me. As you know in March/April 2018 my Primary manifold broke off and we installed a new AMEL supplied unit. 1 year later, preparing to continue to SOLOMON ISLANDS I had corrosion again on the same location and the French local Marine technician in VANUATU recommended to replace with a PVC modification which he made for me. Since then I have been looking into a custom made SS unit but was advised against that option.

So – yes very interested in an alternative for the Primary manifold as well.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

In Storage on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

December 9, 2020 16:43:56

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

I’m interested as well (SV Luna A54-121). Can they also offer an alternative for the Primary manifold?

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

[...]