Several Important things that you will want

Saltwater Primary and Secondary Manifolds for SM & 54:
As many of you know Amel changed from copper saltwater manifolds to Polypropylene (PP) during the production of the A55 and is currently using this technology in the A50 & A60. SOFOMARIN is the OEM supplier to Amel for many plumbing parts. Several owners and I contacted SOFOMARIN to get them to design replacements for the Primary and Secondary Saltwater Manifolds for the SM2k and 54. More...
Amel SM Genoa Repair and Replacement Parts:
The series of electric genoa furlers used on various model Amels were manufactured for Amel by a machine shop owned by Pierangelo Vignando. Mr. Vignando has a limited number of SM Genoa Furller rebuild kits that include gears, bearings, and a new 24v electric motor. When these are gone, they are gone! More...

New sails for your Amel from QSails & Incidence:
In the past 8 years, many Amel owners have saved thousands of euros buying sails from QSails Turkey and Incidence Sails, France. Since COVID began QSails has had many difficulties. Even though QSails has been in business for over 33 years, the disruption of the supply chain, the problems with international deliveries, and the supply chain issues with Dimension-Polyant's Hydranet caused some of us serious problems. The lack of HydraNet sailcloth has impacted all sailmakers using this magnificent fabric. The mid-line ProRadial sailcloth, cut and sewn in a TriRadial configuration is available from both QSails and Incidence. Information including contacts and prices: QSails: More... Incidence: More...

Martinique is getting better and better for Amel owners:
More and more Amels are finding that Martinique is a wonderful place to bring your Amel. So much so, that Amel owners are experiencing delays for repair or refit. The following are the links to Preferred Vendors in Martinique. More...

Caraibe Marine offers Amel Yacht owners a large experienced and single ownership company that is divided into smaller specialized shops run by highly experienced managers responsible for each shop. Each shop is staffed with knowledgeable technicians and equipped with the necessary tools, equipment, and parts. They all have the necessary experience and they all love boating. Caraibe Marine is the vision of its owner, Philippe LECONTE.  Philippe is the owner of this great resource to an Amel owner, but on any day you will find him in one of the shops working for you. He is very close to his managers and their customers. If you meet Phillippe, tell him you are a friend of mine. Caraibe Marine and its shops are located in La Marina du Marin Martinique. I believe that Caraibe Greement (Rigging) is the best place in the world to re-rig your Amel.  More...

La Marina du Marin, located in the south of Martinique in the cul-de-sac du Marin is one of the largest nautical bases in the Caribbean. The marina is recommended by Bill Rouse and his Yacht School Clients as the best marina in the Eastern Caribbean. La Marina du Marin is the best marina in The Caribbean for Amel Yachts. The marina has special monthly pricing if reserved in advance of your arrival. Be sure to reserve in advance and ask for special pricing. The marina also has an "Amel Pontoon." It is Pontoon 4. Reserve this in advance because it fills up fast. More...

Amel Martinique Be sure to meet Alban LEROY manager of Amel Martinique. More...

Carenantilles Haulout Yard in my opinion is better than the best on the east coast of the US. Contact Jocelyne FRANCIETTE <j.franciette@...> or by mobile phone at +596 696 37 67 14 and identify yourself as my friend. More...

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

Christian Sloane

Hello Bill
Thanks for info below
My manifold from sofomarin arrived and I took to our boat last weekend.  It is a lot larger than what is in there now, and Bill Kinney and I looked and it is not an easy plug and play. It will involve moving the water filters for the water maker on my boat and maybe some other stuff. see pic.  Ay tips on installation you have heard from others?  Perhaps when I am next on the boat I can send you some other pics or video/facetime to see how your experience might suggest I proceed?
turns out the other extra hose is a deckwash pump showse outlet is in the starboard locker in the aft of the cockpit (location of fresh water shower and Fueling cap).
I have:
1) ac cooling pump hose
2) water maker hose
3) anchor wash hose
4) 2 x heads
5) deckwash pump hose

I am thinking of taking the deck wash off the anchor wash line with a Y since I will not likely ever be using the anchor wash and the deckwash at the same time.
There is no location on the forward of the engine room for the filters for water maker, so we were thinking running hoses to from the aft bulkhead and mounting them above the muffler.
Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend.
christian

Christian Sloane, MD FACEP
Program Medical Director, Mercy Air Services San Diego, Imperial
Medical Director, North County Dispatch JPA
Clinical Professor
Department of Emergency Medicine
UC San Diego Health System
csloane@...
(m) 858-414-0602

IF THIS COMMUNICATION INVOLVES DISCUSSION OF PATIENT CARE ISSUES IN THE PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT PROCESS, IT IS PROTECTED FROM DISCOVERY BY CALIFORNIA EVIDENCE CODE 1157 AS A CONFIDENTIAL MEDICAL STAFF COMMUNICATION.

On Jan 21, 2022, at 2:59 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

The SOFOMARIN Secondary Saltwater Manifold was designed to replace a SM2k manifold as originally made by Amel. Its design should be exactly the same as Amel made and what is shown in the PDF file. It will not match any modifications made by someone after Amel made it. Of course, the original did not have valves at each outlet. Adding valves makes it bigger in one dimension. It has been successfully installed.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022, 17:13 Christian Sloane <csloane@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill Kinney

Bill,

I can confirm Christian's comments that the plastic manifold as supplied by SOFOMARIN is significantly bulkier than the original copper manifold from Amel. It requires both more horizontal length and vertical height than the original copper manifold installed by Amel on his boat.  It can be made to work with some jiggering of the location of things on that bulkhead, but it is not a "drop in" replacement, at least on his boat.  I see nothing about the manifold on his boat that suggests anything was done post-factory to make it shorter than OEM.  It is possible that the filter location was changed, but that seems unlikely.

I have no idea how it fits on newer or older boats. There seem to have been a lot of factory installed variations around this part of the boat.

Bill Kinney

These are the dimensions of the design mock-up. The production model should match. This size was required to get all of the things included that were requested.

image.png

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 6:53 PM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
[...]

Our Main and Genoa were both made by Island Planet Sails with Pro Radial cloth at a 50% savings over Hydranet.  We have been VERY happy with them.

We have 3 years on the main, and 2 on the genoa.

If your genoa has a lot of miles--especially if it is an older cross cut dacron sail--replacing it is the best thing you can do to improve the  performance of your boat.  Night and day.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL, USA

neurolept2

Hi Bill,

I hope this finds you well.  Do you know if the genoa rebuild kits are still available.  While everything is working currently, it is all original from 1992.  I'd like to obtain the 3 part rebuild kit.  If it is available do I order it through you or directly from Mr. Vignando?  I want to make sure you get the 10% for the group.

Thanks,

Tom Costello

[...]

Yes and yes.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022, 10:29 neurolept2 <TC215@...> wrote:
[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello guys,

Be careful. My early super Maramu has a totally different system installed for Genoa furling.

If mine lets me down, I would likely replace it with a new unit from Facnor.  (as per Amel selection for the 50’s)

If you send me a photo of your unit, I would confirm one way or the other.

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera SM 007.

On 24 Jan 2022, at 06:15, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Yes and yes.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
[...]

Thanks for that and you will note that the first sentence in the attachment when licking on More... reads

"Mr. Vignando is the original manufacturer of the Amel SM 2000 Genoa Furler."

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 2:05 PM Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
[...]

JB Duler

Thanks Jean-Pierre,
We replaced the furler on our Genoa with a Facnor, very happy with it. Just a matter of choice. Finding/fabricating parts for old models will become harder and harder. Sometimes you are better off picking a good quality replacement such as Facnor.
--
John Bernard "JB" Duler
San Francisco

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Here's a photo of the early model Super Maramu genoa furler, for which there are no parts or rebuild kits that I'm aware of. If it fails, it will need custom parts or as JP and JB have said, replacement may be the better option.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
NZ

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022, 9:05 AM Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:
[...]

Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi

Hi ,

We have the same one, SM 29, and had it repaired at a machine shop here in Greece, going well so far ! The machine shop we used was in Piraeus.

Best regards,
Helen and Kostas
SV Meditation SM 29 of 1990
Greece

On 24 Jan 2022, at 9:53 PM, Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy) <svtrilogy53@...> wrote:

[...]

Stephen Davis

I’m curious when Amel decided to change to the genoa furler installed on most of the SMs. We have SM #72, and our gearbox and motor is the same as the later boats. In 2015 we overhauled the genoa gearbox, and needed to replace all the seals and bearings. However, in spite of many miles sailed, the stainless worm gear and the bronze gear showed very little wear, and we chose not to replace them. I still have spares of both of those gears, but wonder if I’ll ever need to replace them. When we got the gearbox apart, it was still full of grease.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM #72, Mazatlan, Mexico

david bruce

Bill, (or anyone)  While we’re discussing genoa furlers.  Would you know if, regarding the irreparable nature and lack of replacement parts for early model year genoa furlers for SM’s, this would apply to early model Santorins as well?    Be good to know.  Thanks.

Best regards,
Dave Bruce
Liesse
SN006
Preveza, Greece

On 26 Jan 2022, at 6:33 PM, Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...> wrote:

I’m curious when Amel decided to change to the genoa furler installed on most of the SMs. We have SM #72, and our gearbox and motor is the same as the later boats. In 2015 we overhauled the genoa gearbox, and needed to replace all the seals and bearings. However, in spite of many miles sailed, the stainless worm gear and the bronze gear showed very little wear, and we chose not to replace them. I still have spares of both of those gears, but wonder if I’ll ever need to replace them. When we got the gearbox apart, it was still full of grease.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM #72, Mazatlan, Mexico

David,

I do not know, but the person offering these kits will likely know as I believe he made all of the Genoa furlers for Amel. Get his contact info from the attachment in the original posting and communicate in French only. Good luck.

Steve, exactly! I believe that the Amel Genoa Furlers will last an indefinite time if the bearing and seals are changed when needed and the gears are kept lubricated with grease.

Bill

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 9:58 AM david bruce <davidcbruce57@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bill,

Will follow advice to keep it well sealed and lubed, (perhaps a French fluent member inquiring of him regarding their SM might be kind enough to ask about Santorins as well some day?)

Best,
Dave
Liesse
SN006

On 26 Jan 2022, at 7:24 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Email him your questions using Google translate and include a photo of your furler.

I have successfully used this method to communicate with him.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022, 11:24 david bruce <davidcbruce57@...> wrote:
[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Steve. It is the full of grease that saved you. I put a grease nipple on ours  to keep it full. Grease is the cheapest spare part you will ever  buy
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On 27/01/2022 04:33 Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...> wrote:

I’m curious when Amel decided to change to the genoa furler installed on most of the SMs. We have SM #72, and our gearbox and motor is the same as the later boats. In 2015 we overhauled the genoa gearbox, and needed to replace all the seals and bearings. However, in spite of many miles sailed, the stainless worm gear and the bronze gear showed very little wear, and we chose not to replace them. I still have spares of both of those gears, but wonder if I’ll ever need to replace them. When we got the gearbox apart, it was still full of grease.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM #72, Mazatlan, Mexico

David Dickman