Shaft brake leak

Donato Valente

Hallo gentlemen.
I'm finding some red oil in the bilge.
Anyway  hydraulic oil level not noticeably changed.
Apparently the oil leak comes from the cilinder
(Right side from the hole ?) as per picture.
Apologize for the banal questions :
it is supposed to be a screw cap on the hole ?
or
The leak can come from a seal ?
Thanks for your help

Donato
Amel SM2000 #468
Now in Elba Island Italy

Bill Kinney

Donato,

Your shaft brake cylinder looks a little bit different than others I have seen on a Super Maramu, but I assume  it works the same way.

I have attached below a drawing from the original manufacturer (who still makes these, or at least was able to supply me with parts, as of two years ago.)

In that center hole there should be a bolt that is used to adjust the amount of compression on the spring that clamps the pads closed on the disk when the engine is not running. The back side of the cylinder (where that bolt goes in) should never have oil in it.

When the engine starts, the transmission oil pump generates pressure that push down on top of the piston, compressing the spring, and releasing the disk from the pressure of the pads.

If there is oil coming out the back end of the cylinder, then the seal between the piston and the inside of the cylinder is compromised.  The unit will need to be disassembled to replace that seal.

If you decide to disassemble it yourself, be very careful!  That large spring inside is under a lot of pressure.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada
http://www.cruisingconsulting.com

Donato Valente

Bill
Thanks for your explanation.
Now I have it clear.
I do agree about replacing the seal.
 Anyway I won't risk to do the job by myself.
Thanks again.
Donato
SM2000 #468 Ocean Bird
Elba Island Italy

Il giorno mer 17 ago 2022 alle 19:17 Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> ha scritto:
[...]

rossirossix4

Did you find the bolt? It is probably under the transmission.  If it wored its way forward somehow it could be in the sump.

Bob,     KAIMI SM429

Donato Valente

Bob
Actually we've finally found the bolt, unused in its plastic bag.
The boat is a second hand one and the shaft brake was probably changed by the previous owner.
Thanks
Donato

Amel SM2000 #468
Ocean Bird
Now in Elba Island Italy

Il giorno gio 18 ago 2022 alle 23:16 rossirossix4 <rossidesigngroup@...> ha scritto:
Did you find the bolt? It is probably under the transmission.  If it wored its way forward somehow it could be in the sump.

Bob,     KAIMI SM429

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Ciao e buon giorno Donato,

please, where are you currently in Elba? Is there any marina, not only CESA ESAOM in Portoferraio, you are able to recommend? also for future wintering. I remember also a small cantiere in Golfo di Mola, Porto Azzurro.
We know elba pretty well, but its nearly 20 years behind…so i´m wondering for your update.

1000 grazie e buona domenica!
fair winds!

Ulrich (Alderico)
S/Y Soleil Bleu / A54#088