Sharki Masthead/spinnaker halyard/block questions

Hello all.

I posted to the Sharki/Mango forum but didn't get any reply, so pardon for asking here, as I hope someone here might be able to help.

I’m new to owning a sailboat and this 1981 sharki is only a few months old to me.  I am realizing I need another halyard tan if I want to hoist a spinnaker and I plan to run up the mast in a couple of days to inspect and learn about what’s up there.  But I’m curious to learn if I am to get a third halyard for the spinnaker, is it the same size as my main and Jenna halyards?  I’m guessing so, but then if the spinnaker is so much lighter, maybe the halyard is too?  Or will the blocks all be the same size?

Any feedback, instruction or documentation would be very welcomed.

Thanks,

Mike
svOdyssea
sharki #49

Here is some feedback. Be very careful regarding halyard wrapping to the genoa furler foil or swivel.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 8:30 AM Mike & Karen via groups.io <svOdyssea=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

marklesparkle59

Hi Mike, the red line is our spare halyard. We use it for the spinnaker, raising the genoa and it is part of our man overboard equipment. We can run it from anywhere around the boat to the windlass,via the block at the bottom of the mast. Anybody can hoist a MOB although it can be brutal. It is 14mm braid on braid. I will send photos from the top next time I am up there. The block at the top of the mast is close to the furler swivel and I have wrapped it, the furler tore apart the previous halyard. Once bitten...

Mark Porter

Mark Porter

On Mon, 2 May 2022, 15:40 CW Bill Rouse, <brouse@...> wrote:
[...]

Gregory Shea

Hey Guys,
A quick inspection with binoculars from the foredeck will show you that the hardware/cranes from later Amels are not there on your boat. What you will see are two sheaves, inside the mast, for the original halyards. You could use on of those for a spi but you have a chafe problem in that the sheaves expect the pull to be statically, fore/aft. Even if you put a third (external) halyard, the problem is the same. You will need to fabricate a crane with a swiveling block, forward of the forestay to allow the halyard to flex feely to ensure a fair lead. See Bill's photos of the Sharki's big brothers.
I added a crane to enable me to fly my CZ but I suggest that this project be deferred for a couple of years while you get the hang of the standard Amel rig. As a newcomer to Amel, you might like to think about a comment a rigger made to me about my CZ setup; '"If you wanted a race boat, why didn't you buy one."

Greg Shea
Sharki 133
Currently for sale in KIlada