Short Tricolor to Mooring light

Mohammad Shirloo

A few days ago, when we tried to turn on the mooring light, noticed that the Tricolor light LED also came on and then the mooring light breaker tripped. This would also happen if the tricolor LED was turned on. So it appears we have a short between the two circuits. I disconnected the mooring at the base of the mast and the problem continued. Then I disconnected the tricolor wires at the base of the mast and I could turn on both breakers, without issue. So it appears that the short is somewhere between the base of the mast and the light itself. We have the combo light at the masthead.

Anyone run into this issue? Would appreciate any ideas as to the most likely source of the short.

Arno Luijten

You may have a chafed cable in the mast. Most likely at the top or at the base of the mast. If not and if you have a LopoLight LED masthead light, it may be broken. Their claim about a life expectancy of 50 000 hours is almost hilarious. Most of the original models will not even achieve 5000 hours. The power regulator inside is not very well laid out so you can expect all kinds of failures. But given the fact you have seem to have a firm short circuit the cable is most suspect.
Use a multi-meter to see if you get resistance between either one of the cable-leads and the metal of the mast itself. All leads should read infinite relative to the mast.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121