Simpson Davits Maintenance

Denis Foster

Hello,

For those having experience servicing  Simpson Davits:

Checking all systems after dewinterizing, I lowered the weights of our dyneema manual Simpson davits. When lowering with just the weights and no down oriented force I notice that the dyneema has a tendency to be a little slow and stops from time to time. I pull the little  slack by hand and all works well. Lifting the tender seems yo work ok.

May be this is a signal that some maintenance could be a good idea. Has someone advice and or documentation. Do some sheaves need oiling or greasing. But I wouldn’t like to put grease on the wrong item (brakes?). Can you access this by removing the rear panels.

Best regards.

Denis

Scott SV Tengah

We have the electric Simpson davits, so our experience may not be 100% applicable.

One of our weights is heavier than the other. For the lighter weight, sometimes we experience the same slow lowering. Perhaps you can change the weight?

For ours, the lighter weight works most of the time, so I've decided to keep it as I've been hit in the head by the heavier weight and it's not pleasant. :)

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Denis Foster

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Did you change from wire to dyneema?

I feel but can t see that one of the sheaves inside has friction that our ordinary weight is not sufficient to overcome.

I can t find a diagram view of the mechanism in our Series 7 Simpson Davits

BTW great information from your social media.

Best regards

Denis

Scott SV Tengah

Denis,

Yes, I changed the wire out to dyneema. Very good upgrade. I think Simpson wanted 4000 GBP for it and it cost me 100 euros to simply change it.

Of course at the end of the davit where the line makes a 90 degree turn, there's a sheave. Perhaps yours is well worn or binding?

To access the motor/gearbox on mine, you just remove the small allen bolts on the forward (in relation to the boat) portion of the davits. On our electric davits, you remove four quite large screws from underneath the arm and the motor/gearbox bracket comes right out. Sadly, I've had to fix it more times than I care to mention.

Scott

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 12:28 PM Denis Foster <deniswfoster@...> wrote:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Did you change from wire to dyneema?

I feel but can t see that one of the sheaves inside has friction that our ordinary weight is not sufficient to overcome.

I can t find a diagram view of the mechanism in our Series 7 Simpson Davits

BTW great information from your social media.

Best regards

Denis

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Denis Foster

Hi Scott

Same thing Cooney asked for 7000€ for new manual Davits since they pretended it could not be upgraded to Dyneema.

So I asked the local yard to do the Dyneema upgrade two years ago  for around 200€. Unfortunately I wasn’t there to see how they did it.

In fact it has worked quite well.

I learned it was better to leave the lines down with the weights in the middle when tender in use in the water. Quicker and easier to lift back up.

I am still looking for shop manual that would describe the inside and procedures.

Thank s again for your help.

Denis

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 21 avr. 2021 à 12:40, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> a écrit :

[...]

If the manual ones are anything like the electric ones, it's very simple. In fact, it appears to be made in someone's home workshop.

Just take the rear cover off and take a peek.

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 4:27 PM Denis Foster <deniswfoster@...> wrote:
[...]

Teun BAAS

In 2018 I tried to order 2 new remotes for the electric Davits; after many Emails with no reply I called COONEY UK and they quoted something like GBP300 or GBP350 per unit plus shipping but didn’t want to deal directly with retail. My NEW CALEDONIA marine contact tried to order and didn’t get any response either.

I gave up and just use the controls on the Davits.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

In Storage on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

April 21, 2021 08:18:06

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

[...]

They are made by a Swedish company. Open up the electrical box in the lazarette and you'll send the company name. Simpson slaps their label on the remote and charges you more. It's a simple RF transmitter, I think.

That said, my receiver failed and triggered the "up" motion out of the blue. The magnetic stop switch failed too so it just kept pulling up until the wires melted. I disconnected it permanently.