From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Barry Connor via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 4, 2020 4:44 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] sm 53 vs 54

Hi Jamie,

We have used this over the past 5 years. We were for 2 years in Port Corbieres,  Marseille and then wintered 3 years in Marina de Ragusa, Sicily. The Slap Silencer has 4 simple cords for easy attachment to the stern side upright rails, does get growth of algae which cleans off easily.This is available online. US product “www.slapsilencer.com”

I would recommend this if you are in a marina for a week or more.

We pack it away after fresh water wash and dry in supplied bag under our master bunk.

You will see that the Slap Silencer is more than a piece of canvas.

We have not needed it whilst we have been at anchor here for the past few months as we are always pointing into the breeze and small waves coming off shore.

Very Best

Barry and Penny

“SV Lady Penelope II”

Amel 54. #17

Sainte Anne anchorage Martinique

On Jul 4, 2020, at 09:19, Jamie Wendell <mysticshadow54@...> wrote:

Barry, I was reading this thread and saw your comment about the "Slap Silencer." You noted it was online, but where?
I have this problem with my 54, but mostly have become numb to the slapping in the aft cabin. The boat came with a very heavy canvas in a bag, and I suspect that is what it is for, but I have never tried it.
Can you provide more details about your solution? Is my bag carrying the right thing, and if so how do I use it?
Thanks,
Jamie
Phantom, A54 #44

Scott SV Tengah

I have this for our A54. I don't get bothered by the noise, but the admiral is more sensitive to sounds.

Works reasonably well, but you're right, it gets nasty. Do you just clean it with a brush and bleach?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Barry Connor

Hi Scott,
Just checked and my environment friendly mold/algae remover has run out. Purchased at Costco UK 5lt concentrate lasts a long time and can use it on any type of mold/algae, really cleans sails and not harmful to the boat. I will have to search for the brand. Hope Costco US has this. Still hope to make it north towards the end of this year.

On Jul 4, 2020, at 15:14, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

I have this for our A54. I don't get bothered by the noise, but the admiral is more sensitive to sounds.

Works reasonably well, but you're right, it gets nasty. Do you just clean it with a brush and bleach?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Barry Connor

Hi Scott,

Below attached is the Costco "Wet and Forget mold/algea cleaner"
I actually bought the 5lt concentrate.
Much safer to use than any bleach.

Very Best

Barry

On Saturday, July 4, 2020, 3:48:46 PM EDT, Barry Connor via groups.io <connor_barry@...> wrote:

[...]

Jamie Wendell

I like the swimming noodle concept. Thanks for the feedback. What I have is not what I thought it was.
Jamie

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Marc
I like the idea with the swimming noodles. I would like to test it, but I don’t have an idea how to move a line through them?
Can you give me a hint how you managed?
Thanks and best regards

Ruedi & Sabina Waldispuehl
"SY WASABI"
Amel 54. #55
On the way from Sicily to Apulia

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...>
Datum: Samstag, 4. Juli 2020 um 18:32
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: [AmelYachtOwners] Slap Silencer

Or, you can accomplish the same result using a couple of swimming noodles with a line through them and tied under the stern of the boat.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Brent Cameron

I use a small knot in the end of a rope that will go through the hole in the centre fairly easily and then I put a hosek on it and it blows the knot through in about 2 seconds flat.  (Assumes the noodles have a hole up the centre, all the ones I’ve seen do.

Brent

On Jul 5, 2020, 4:41 PM -0400, Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...>, wrote:
[...]

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Steve Bell s/y Dusk SM378

Hi All .
An alternative to the noodle is to go to your local plumbing store and purchase  copper pipe insulation.

These are the same as a noodle but with a hole already through it, the material also seemed more dense than a common swiming pool noodle.

We did this on our previous boat and puy some light chain through the insualtion for weight.

I havent tried it on Dusk yet but will get around to it sometime in the future but it worked on our previous yacht although not a 100% it certainly reduced the slapping.

Regards

Steve
s/y Dusk
sm #378

eric freedman

Hi Steve,
I see your hull number is very close to mine. Forward of the Calpeda AC Pump close to the bilge and the engine stringer should be a small white box with holes drilled in the top ad slats in the side. It is the high water alarm switch. Do you have this switch? If you do, is there a maker or model number on it?
If you could also send me photos and measurements , it would be greatly appreciated.
Are you the original owner?
Fair Winds,
Eric
SM 376 KImberlite

On July 6, 2020 at 2:01 AM "Steve Bell s/y Dusk SM378 via groups.io" <stevect@...> wrote:

[...]

Gerhard Hoffmann

Hi Eric,
My boat is close to yours and I believe my bilge switch installation is original.  I cannot see the make/brand, the label says bilge switch COD 85000102.  The box is about 75mm long, 57mm wide and 60mm high without the plastic extrusion for the hold down screws.  I'm attaching two photos.

Hope that helps.

Gerhard Hoffmann
Pepino SM381
Greece