SM & A54 Main + Mizzen manual furling gear boxes - seals, o-rings, dust cover … + source(s) ???

Stefan Schaufert

Dear Amelians,

I want to change all seals etc. for the main and mizzen manual rolling gear.
I was in contact with Maud.  She sends me a good picture, but cannot send me a list of measurements etc. and a set of seals etc. (at least not at the moment).
The forum helped me more (posts and references from Pat SM 123, Scott, Ken ...) but I'm completely stuck now.
Not sure about the dimensions or type of the seals, I haven't found a good source.

So I hope that someone has a list with the proven number, dimension, etc. of all the seals required, etc.,
as well as a good source in Europe, ideally in Germany (preferably all parts together).

Thanks a lot you for your help.

 Best regards
 Stefan
 A54 # 119 Lady Charlyette, currently La Palma - Canary Islands

I got these from Pat & Diane Shenanagins

This is what I have for the Mizzen
Parts Required/Sources (USA) Bearings:
Source, Motion Industries -
1 each Tapered bearing item#32009xm-90kmi,
bore 45mm OD 75mm Width 20mm Mfg: Timken
1 each: item# 9105k Bore 25mm, OD. 47mm,
Width 12mm Mfg: Fafnir
Seals:
1 each VA-45 (or VA-045) V-ring Seal: 40mm
ID x 50mm OD x 9mm SKF Part # 400450
1 each following: Source, Metric Seals
45mmX60mmX7mm Seal <Or, Possibly next>
45mmX58mmX7mm Seal
25mmX33mm X6mm Seal
30mmx40mmx7mm Outer Hub Seal
VA-45 V-ring Seal
Manual Furling Gearbox, Mizzen (Main Similiar) Credit: Pat SM 123 Shenanigans
Last modified 2021-08-22 Copyright Amel Owners Yacht School 2021 Page

This is what I have for the Main
Bearings: Source , Motion Industries - Tapered bearing item# 32009xm-90kmi , Bore 45mm, OD. 75mm, Width 20mm , Manufacturer Timken
Ball Bearing, item# 9105k Bore 25mm, OD. 47mm, Width 12mm Manufacturer Fafnir
Oil Seals : Source , Metric Seals Inc. 45mmX60mmX7mm 25mmX33mm X6mm
You will need one each of bearings and seals

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 1:54 PM Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:
Dear Amelians,

I want to change all seals etc. for the main and mizzen manual rolling gear.
I was in contact with Maud.  She sends me a good picture, but cannot send me a list of measurements etc. and a set of seals etc. (at least not at the moment).
The forum helped me more (posts and references from Pat SM 123, Scott, Ken ...) but I'm completely stuck now.
Not sure about the dimensions or type of the seals, I haven't found a good source.

So I hope that someone has a list with the proven number, dimension, etc. of all the seals required, etc.,
as well as a good source in Europe, ideally in Germany (preferably all parts together).

Thanks a lot you for your help.

 Best regards
 Stefan
 A54 # 119 Lady Charlyette, currently La Palma - Canary Islands

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Stefan. I have just completed a service of the main furler gearbox. Seals are available from SKF. As you would expect the list Maud has sent you shows the correct dimensions.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 25 September 2021 at 06:54 Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:

Dear Amelians,

I want to change all seals etc. for the main and mizzen manual rolling gear.
I was in contact with Maud.  She sends me a good picture, but cannot send me a list of measurements etc. and a set of seals etc. (at least not at the moment).
The forum helped me more (posts and references from Pat SM 123, Scott, Ken ...) but I'm completely stuck now.
Not sure about the dimensions or type of the seals, I haven't found a good source.

So I hope that someone has a list with the proven number, dimension, etc. of all the seals required, etc.,
as well as a good source in Europe, ideally in Germany (preferably all parts together).

Thanks a lot you for your help.

 Best regards
 Stefan
 A54 # 119 Lady Charlyette, currently La Palma - Canary Islands

Vladan SV PAME

Hi Stefan,

I bought set of seals for main sail manual furler in March this year from Amel.

After replacing them all on main sail furler I remained with one seal that I don’t know what is for.

In attached photo you have all dimensions. Seal number 5 was extra in my case.

If you need better photo or scan of document that came with seals let me know and I’ll send it to you.

Best Regards,
Vladan - SV Pame
A54 #157
Image.jpeg

--
Vladan

A54 #157
SV PAME

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Vladan. Having just serviced my main sail furler I suspect from your photo this mounts externally on the output shaft sitting down on the top of the housing. One caviat on that opinion is I was looking at the photo on the small screen of my phone

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

[...]

Hi Danny,

I think you are referring to anti dust seal. That one I used and installed.

If I was not precise in my post, In Amel kit was supplied two number 5 seals and I used only one of them.

Don’t know how many seals are in mizen furler? Maybe that one goes there?

Best Regards,

Vladan – SV Pame

A54 #157

[...]

The photo is too blurry for me to read. Is it possible that #5 is the V-Seal?
image.png

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 1:16 AM Vladan SV PAME <vladan.bojic@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Bill,

Number 5 is not V seal. V seal was supplied only one piece and I used it.
Attached more photos.

Best Regards,
Vladan - SV Pame
A54 # 157

Image.jpegImage.jpegImage.jpeg

[...]

Hi Vladan, sorry I dont. Havent been there yet.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 27 September 2021 at 20:27 Vladan SV PAME <vladan.bojic@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi again Vladan. What is the size, You can read it off the seal. For example the one for the top of the gearbox is 60x45x7 if my memory serves me correctly.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 28 September 2021 at 06:36 Vladan SV PAME <vladan.bojic@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

Number 5 is not V seal. V seal was supplied only one piece and I used it.
Attached more photos.

Best Regards,
Vladan - SV Pame
A54 # 157

Image.jpeg Image.jpeg Image.jpeg
Get Outlook for iOS

[...]

Maybe that is the top seal of the motor, but I cannot tell the size. If the seal size is 45mmX65mmX8mm, it is for the top of the motor.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 12:37 PM Vladan SV PAME <vladan.bojic@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you Bill and Danny.
That helps.

Dear Vladan,
thx a lot.
Unfortunately the photo is not readable (list of seals). Thus I appreciate a better resolution. Thanks for that.

I found 2 good sources of supply (in Germany/ for Europe):

https://www.kugellager-express.de/va-und-wellendichtringe (v-rings, oil seals)
https://www.hug-technik.com/shop/O-RINGE/  and https://www.hug-technik.com/shop/Simmerring/ (o-rings, oil seals)

Best regards
Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, currently La Palma - Canaries

Vladan SV PAME

Hi Stefan,

I’m attaching again photo. Highlighted green are description and dimensions.

however here they are:
1. Joint V-ring VA45
2. Joint OR Fi 94 x 2
3. Bague d’etancheite 25 x 33 x 6
4. Bague d’etancheite 30 x 40 x 7 AS
5. Bague d’etancheite 45 x 58 x 7
6. Joint OR Fi 62 x 1,5

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
--
Vladan

A54 #157
SV PAME

Vladan SV PAME

Bill,

the extra seal number 5 is 45 x 58 x 7

It’s difficult to check size of the motor seal without taking off motor. For sure shaft coming out of motor is 45 mm so it can be.

Also as I see Danny is mentioning slightly different size of seal so could it be that not all manual furlers installed through production line were same?

Best Regards,
--
Vladan

A54 #157
SV PAME

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Vladan, I did give the dimensions of one seal at 60x45x7. However I did say that was from memory. I will check in the next days and let you know.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl