SM Bow Thruster Motor bearing Snap Rings

Chris Doucette

Hi!  I have been working on rebuilding by bowthruster--  As per the motor- mine has the typical rusted area neer the spline shaft.
Question... as mine is so rusted does anyone have a sizing / part recommendation for the INTERNAL SNAP RINGS?  there are two I see (but soo rusted)..
One small one on the shaft and one larger next to the berring.

Chris
Amarok SM #385

Chris,

I do not know the sizes, but I am betting you are talking about these:
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 11:53 AM Chris Doucette <amaroksailing@...> wrote:
Hi!  I have been working on rebuilding by bowthruster--  As per the motor- mine has the typical rusted area neer the spline shaft.
Question... as mine is so rusted does anyone have a sizing / part recommendation for the INTERNAL SNAP RINGS?  there are two I see (but soo rusted)..
One small one on the shaft and one larger next to the berring.

Chris
Amarok SM #385

Bill Kinney

Chris,

If you can get them out in one piece, (or at lease a few pieces!) any bearing supply house will have them.  Bring them in and they can match them up.

If the snap rings are that bad, there is a good chance that the bearings they are holding in place might need renewal too.

We have made it a routine that most larger, expensive, electric motors on our boat go into a motor shop every 4 or 5 years for a rebuild and full testing.  They can do a much more sophisticated job at testing and sorting out problems than we can.  Just as an example, between the coils and the rotor they want to see a resistance of something on the order of 2 GigaOhms!  I know none of my meters can come close to measuring that.  Also, if the brushes need replacing, usually the commutator needs turning.  I have done that with a bit of emery cloth, when I have had to, but having the rotor on a proper lathe makes the job a lot better.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Brunswick, GA, USA