Topics

SM galley Faucet very hot.

JOSE PRIETO

Hello guys,
I have a problem that maybe some of you have already had, and can help me.
When using the kitchen faucet, my wife complained that the water was too hot, even in the position that she always used the mixer handle.
I went to check and realized that the water was really very hot regardless the tap handle position. I also verify that the hot water was returning through the cold water pipe.
I checked the filtered tap on the side and it was also coming out of hot water (supposedly it should only be cold).
Only after some time with the tap handle in the cold position did the water return to normal (cold), but it was enough to return to the intermediate position that the water overheated and the cold water pipe became hot again.
Any suggestion?
Thank you in advance.

Jose Prieto SY Wayag SM323

Mark Erdos

Jose,

I can offer a little bit of help, but not much. My first guess would be the mixing valve in the kitchen faucet is bad. As the water gets hotter and expands in the hot water tank the hot water side pressure is going to be greater than the cold water side. It might be possible the water is pushing into the cold side via the kitchen faucet. This would make sense why it returns to normal once you run it for a little while. It also explains why your filtered water is hot since it is connected to the same cold water supply pipe under the sink.

We changed all of our sink faucets a couple of years ago so I no longer have the originals and cannot share much more than theory. Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Vista Mar, Panama

www.creampuff.us

I have a problem that maybe some of you have already had, and can help me.

When using the kitchen faucet, my wife complained that the water was too hot, even in the position that she always used the mixer handle.

I went to check and realized that the water was really very hot regardless the tap handle position. I also verify that the hot water was returning through the cold water pipe.
I checked the filtered tap on the side and it was also coming out of hot water (supposedly it should only be cold).

Only after some time with the tap handle in the cold position did the water return to normal (cold), but it was enough to return to the intermediate position that the water overheated and the cold water pipe became hot again.

Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance.

Jose Prieto SY Wayag SM323

Thomas Peacock

This sounds like a brain-teaser offered up by a radio show.

However, I will bite. On the surface of things, it makes no sense. The water tank temperature should be about what the water temperature of your sea water is. I hope it’s not due to global warming!

The route from the water tank to the pump is quite short, also quite short from the pump to your sink. Your engine room might make water a little warm in the pipes, but not that much. My best guess is that the mixing mechanism in the faucet is broken. However, that would not explain why the filtered water is also hot.

So I’m stumped. What I would do is turn the water pump off, depressurize the system, and then disconnect the cold water hose from the faucet, under the sink. Turn the water pump back on, with a bucket to catch the water. See if it’s cold, if so, then replace the faucet. If hot, then trace it back and make sure somebody didn’t alter the hoses.

You’re not by any chance in the Bermuda Triangle?

Sorry for my poor attempts at humor, I do believe your description. It’s just a bit of a stumper.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Martinique

On Jan 3, 2020, at 5:26 PM, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

[...]

Brent Cameron

I had a very similar situation to that one time in my house…. I woke up one morning to find that the water in the toilet bowl was steaming!  Thankfully, I realized it before splashing myself.  It turned out to be the mixing valve in the shower that allowed hot water to go back around to the cold side - they need to have very nearly equal pressure on both sides or they can act up apparently.  Anyway, I couldn’t change the valve without destroying the tile so installed check valves in the supply lines to them which solved the problem.  It’s been working fine for 22 years since then with no more unintentionally sterilized toilet bowls.

--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Richard Colebatch

Hi Brent,

How did your last Amel trip go?  I think I am right aren't I?

Rgds

Richard

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 4:34 PM Brent Cameron <brentcameron61@...> wrote:
[...]

Edited

Guys,

Thanks for your advices.
I'm living on board the boat in Alicante - Spain.

Cheers

Jose Prieto SY Wayag SM323

ngtnewington Newington

I suggest you install check valves (one way valve) on the cold side before the mixer tap. This will prevent hot water working it’s way into the cold side.
It is a common problem especially when motoring as the hot water gets up to 80 degrees Celsius and will be at a slightly higher pressure than the cold.
Nick
S/Y Amelia AML 54
Greece

On 4 Jan 2020, at 09:58, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Guys,

Thanks for your advices.
I'm living on board the boat in Alicante - Spain.

Cheers

Jose Prieto SY Wayag SM323

Thomas Peacock

One last idea, regardless:

If you have the original Amel faucet mechanism (which I assume is similar to that on our boat), I would replace it no matter what the problem turns out to be. Our faucet was very simple, a hot/cold mixing control, and the rigid faucet. I replaced it with a more modern faucet, which has two extra features: a switch to select either regular flow or spray, and an inner hose extension which allows the faucet to be pulled out of its base.

Both of these features greatly enhance dish washing, and reduce water usage.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Martinique

On Jan 4, 2020, at 8:28 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

I suggest you install check valves (one way valve) on the cold side before the mixer tap. This will prevent hot water working it’s way into the cold side.
It is a common problem especially when motoring as the hot water gets up to 80 degrees Celsius and will be at a slightly higher pressure than the cold.
Nick
S/Y Amelia AML 54
Greece

On 4 Jan 2020, at 09:58, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Guys,

Thanks for your advices.
I'm living on board the boat in Alicante - Spain.

Cheers

Jose Prieto SY Wayag SM323

JOSE PRIETO

Hello guys,
Thanks for the feedback again,

Following ngtnewington Newington's reasoning, I think installing the check valve could solve the consequence, but not the cause of the problem. I'll probably do it if nothing else works.
Changing the tap as Thomas Peacock suggested, I will no doubt have a better system, but I haven't solved the source of the problem either.
I did some tests yesterday, removing the core from the galley faucet, and cleaning up the calcium buildup in the water mixing chamber, where through the oring could be running hot water from side to side. I reassembled the system with silicone grease, and the same problem happened again.
I considered swapping the core of the bathroom sink faucets for Galey's and testing it again.
I need to figure out how to lower the boiler water temperature, because I live in the marina and leave very little to navigate using the engine.
Good puzzle I got for myself.

Jose Prieto SY Wayag SM323

michael winand

You can install a thermo mixing valve on the outlet of the water heater. This will limit the temperature to 50 to 60 Celsius  in the hot side.

On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 8:16 pm, JOSE PRIETO
<prietomd11@...> wrote:
[...]

Hello Michael, Thank you for the idea.
I'll leave in line for another possible solution.
I checked the two hoses on the outside of the boiler and both are very hot - that means hot water is all over the water system and on the way back to the boiler it reheats. I am thinking of installing a checkvalve on the boiler cold water inlet hose imagining that the problem may be inside the boiler and not the taps.

Jose Prieto SY Wayag SM323

Kaplan,Andre

Tom
Can you share the type and model of the new faucet you installed and where you sourced it?
Thank you
Andre Kaplan
Renaissance 2000
Mango 71,1988
Westbrook, CT

On Jan 4, 2020, at 8:58 AM, Thomas Peacock <peacock8491@...> wrote:

*** Attention: This is an external email. Use caution responding, opening attachments or clicking on links. ***
[...]

Hi Andre,

Not sure about dimensions on the Mango, it worked well on my SM. Check your holes and clearance above the sink.

I used "Comllen Commercial Stainless Steel Single Handle Pull Out Kitchen Faucet, Single Lever Pull Down Brushed Nickel Kitchen Faucets Without Deck Plate”, available at Amazon for $47. Installation was pretty straightforward. I may have had to widen the hole for the hoses on the back of the sink a little bit with a rasp. The plumbing connections, if my memory is correct (always suspect) were plug-and-play. If not, then an adapter was readily available at the local hardware store.

My only regret is that I had not done it years before.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Martinique

On Jan 5, 2020, at 8:01 AM, Kaplan,Andre <kaplan@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter Killen

Have you considered checking your hot water immersion tank?  I had the same problem on Pure Magic when we owned her and found that the thermostat had failed. Once replaced, the problem was solved.

Regards

Peter Killen

On 5 Jan 2020, at 10:16, JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tom