Topics

SM gelcoat color match

Thomas Kleman

We've been frustrated on our SM by the inability to match the color that the original gelcoat (Renault Panda White ?) has faded into, after 17 years. So, as small things like hatch latches chip and break, the repair ends up bothering me because Ive had trouble matching the color as it has faded. Even boatyard masters of gelcoat color matching have been foiled by our Amel.

This week I've been lucky and found an almost exact match (at least for our boat). Autozone sells an automotive/trim accessory paint that hits the bullseye for us. "Wimbledon White", a Ford color (BFM0041-M9A). Supposedly good for fiberglass also. We will see.

Obviously I'd prefer to use gelcoat but these dings are thankfully small and someday when I find the perfect gelcoat match I can reassess. But I thought I'd broadcast our finding in the event someone finds it useful.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Oahu

Craig Briggs

For a perfect match, go to boatworkstoday dot com, click on Videos, then click on Color Matching and watch the two part series on Gelcoat Color Matching. I have easily been able to match the the deck white, the hull white and the rub rail brown perfectly. This is far and away the most credible place to go for anything about repairing fiberglass.
--
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Karen Smith

We had some extensive fiberglass work done on our deck.  The crew in Fort Lauderdale did an amazing job matching the color. It's as close to perfect as I can imagine.  I know where the repairs were done, and it can still be hard to pick out.

Downside of course, is the new gelcoat matches the old today, but over the long run they will age and fade in different directions.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA