SM Genoa Furler question SOLUTION - REVERSED

All,

I was finally able to get an answer to this from a Super Maramu expert at Amel with over 20 years of service for Amel. He contradicts the manufacturer of the genoa furler.

The Amel expert says, "It's better to have this bushing which acts as a centering ring for the forestay. Many SNs & SMs don't have it anymore, because very often during the dismantling of the genoa furler, this bushing falls into the water, or half is lost! But it is a very simple part to make. I suggest making a bushing and replacing it if it is missing."

I believe that the reason that the manufacturer of the genoa furler gearbox did not know about the bushing is that Amel must have added the bushing when installing the furler during the installation of the masts and standing rigging of the new boat.

I apologize if this has caused any confusion.

Bill
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 7:36 AM Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
All,

Regarding the bushings pictured below for the genoa furler, the manufacturer for Amel of the genoa furler says,

"The pictured part is not of my manufacture, it could be for the very first genoa gearboxes made before 1995." ~ Pierangelo Vignando

Apparently and previously unknown to me there were at least two different manufacturers/subcontractors for Amel of the genoa furler. The response above is from the last manufacturer of the genoa furler, Pierangelo Vignando.

I believe it is safe to say that these bushings were not needed in any Amel genoa furler made after 1995 and it is doubtful they are needed in any made before 1995.

Bill

image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 10:19 AM Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Thanks to all who participated.

BTW, The last generation of the Genoa furler was used on the SN & SM. It seems that the consensus of opinion is that these are not really needed.

image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 9:24 AM Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:
Bill
Photos of Santorin forestay bush.

27 mm and 37 mm with a 10 mm forestay