SM Hard top

I shall be very interested to read Bill's review of the Amel 50, but you can have solar on a hard top on an SM.

 We had this carbon fibre top made for us in Greece this winter and are delighted with the result. It has made the whole cockpit feel even more spacious and achieved more headroom than we had with the canvas bimini which we had already modified to achieve better headroom.  With the hard top we now have 186 cm ( 6ft 1.2 inches ) pretty well throughout the cockpit. LED ceiling lights.   2x Solarworld Semi-Flexible PCB -ETFE panels, 180w each. In retrospect we could have fitted larger panels but the input even from these has transformed our use of the genset.

The vinyl window unzips across the top. You can open a small section if it's raining and you want to see better or you can open the whole window which rolls down.

The hard top is strong--you can dance on it if you are so inclined. We are just happy to be underneath it.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Siros, Greece

david bruce

PS  Would you have any pics of the support structure?  I’d like to get a sense of how it might work with the traveler as well as ingress and egress to the cockpit.  Thanks!  Dave

On Jun 21, 2021, at 9:11 AM, ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

_._,_._,_

Ann-Sofie, S/Y Lady Annila

We have had a roof over the cockpit since 2010, one of the best things we have done on the boat.

This is from the inside

regards
Ann-Sofie & Jonas Svanberg
S/y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

21/06/2021 kl. 18:42 skrev david bruce <davidcbruce57@...>:

PS  Would you have any pics of the support structure?  I’d like to get a sense of how it might work with the traveler as well as ingress and egress to the cockpit.  Thanks!  Dave
On Jun 21, 2021, at 9:11 AM, ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

I believe that whether or not solar can be integrated into a hardtop depends on the model and manufacturer of the panels. The Amel 50 uses SolbianFlex Panels which are made in Italy.

image.png
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 12:17 PM Ann-Sofie, S/Y Lady Annila <ann-sofie@...> wrote:
We have had a roof over the cockpit since 2010, one of the best things we have done on the boat.

This is from the inside

regards
Ann-Sofie & Jonas Svanberg
S/y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

21/06/2021 kl. 18:42 skrev david bruce <davidcbruce57@...>:

PS  Would you have any pics of the support structure?  I’d like to get a sense of how it might work with the traveler as well as ingress and egress to the cockpit.  Thanks!  Dave
On Jun 21, 2021, at 9:11 AM, ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

VICTOR MOLERO

I did as Lady Anila and yes, it's the best we've done in the boat. I will always be thankful to my friend Jonas for his support and advice...
Victor
SM314 Alendoy