Small AC unit and extra drawers

Jose Venegas

Edited

I originally bought a small window AC until in Panama to keep the boat dry while we were out for a month. It cost $80, uses only 500 watts, is cooled by air, and does not need to keep the water pump running, which is a real hazard when not aboard, and it works with the boat on the hard.  After one month we went back to Colon and Ipanema was dry, cool, and smelled like a rose. The first night I fiddled around with the direction of a few fans and was able to move enough cool air to the aft cabin to make it very comfortable at night running for just one or two hours with the lithium batteries and inverter.   We liked it so much that left the AC unit in place for the next six months in rainy Bocas del Toro, and while we sailed to San Andrés and then to Cartagena Colombia.  Here, taking advantage of the inexpensive labor, we decided to make the AC unit a semi-permanent feature, protecting it with wood, while making a small table and adding a removable step to the staircase.  The carpenter was so good and reasonably priced that I added 3 sliding drawers under the stair steps.  AS it turned out, his quality was so good that I am contracting with him to fabricate doors to cover the “ex wet closet” in the next couple of weeks.
Pix were uploaded to Photos
Jose Gabriel Venegas
Ipanema SM2k  278
Club de Pesca, Cartagena

Mark McGovern

Jose,

The woodworking is beautiful!  Can you post the contact information or send it to me via email?

[Edited Message Follows]

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Jose Venegas

Mark,

The carpenter’s name is Maximo Velez Gomez.
His WhatsApp is +57 (310) 686-9188
and his daughter WhatsApp is +57 (313) 8517-243 :
He does not speak english but his daughter can translate for him.
He has detailed drawings and dimensions of the parts

Jose Gabriel Venegas
Ipanema SM2K 278

Jose & Mark,

In my experience in Cartagena, you can get anything made or repaired. Things like board-level electronic repair, motor rewinding, AC components rebuilt, all sorts of woodworking, etc. There was a German guy there that knew nothing about satellite phones and did some board-level repair to ours. He also repaired electronic PCBs in radars, autopilots, etc. I am sure he could repair the notorious Onan PCB that cannot be found anymore.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550